This nut is a pain to get off..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just that; 3rd wouldn't even get to 110mph even with the cable LS transmissions(which has the taller FD) without revving over ~8300rpm....and how the hell would it rip out of the bell housing...which houses the clutch.

Almost all gear failures from drag cars just cause gears to shear or cases to crack; nothing really spectacular.

I understand all that, I was just entertaining the idea of grenading a tranny. I've seen gear clusters rip through cases kinda like he said, but it was in a 800+ horse Trans Am and the tranny came apart on the launch, not at speed. It was pretty cool too, it embedded the gear in the floor board right next to the throttle. Lol.

Last edited:
A strong impact wrench would've taken that off(ie those +500lb tq guns). Breaker bars don't always work....especially if it's flexing like hell. Difference is impact wrenches "shock" the bolt loose. Also, propane torches suck. I had a stuck jamb-nut on the tie rods....heated it up with a propane torch for like 15 minutes...didn't do crap. I had to take it to a shop where they used an acetylene torch to get it red hot in order to take it off.

What exactly do you mean by putting the axle back on?

exactly.. breaker bars flex.
everyones like, wtf is wrong with you? haha
sometimes it just doesnt work..
i was actually just thinking about the shock that impact guns give to loosen the nut before i got on hondaswap.. haha

i mean, the right axle is off.
im going to put everything back to how it was so i can load the car on a trailer.
i need to put the right axle back in its place.

I used a short section of pipe that was larger than my breaker bar and a long section of pipe that fit in the big pipe. So, it went breaker bar, larger pipe over breaker bar, small pipe inside larger pipe. Go steal a fence post if you have to.

if you had read through more of the thread.. or even just looked through it(i posted pictures) i found a fence post in the alley with a chunk of cement on the end of it and i used a hack saw to get that end off.

finally got it off.
dragged my car down to california in a trailer, took it to my dads shop, a few minutes at 750 ft lbs and voila.
ima hang that on my review mirror with my zombie head.
ima take a picture of it tomorrow when i go back to my dads shop to finish the tranny swap.

yup.
but even with the impact gun, it wasnt as easy as everyone said.
my sisters boyfriend, who is a welder, thought it was welded on.

:werd: It takes serious power to do that to a transmission.
not if the tranny pretty well hosed. got it from my bros integra. he didnt really take care of his cars maintenance needs and requirements. like dude said final grind final shift.

heres a picture of the end result.
very minimal thread damage on the spindle.
ground about halfway through a 1mm sized area on two threads.
bustednut.jpg

if you can get a hold of a 1/2 inch impact gun and the proper axle nut socket itll come right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back