This nut is a pain to get off..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. my little bros got a 90 si 2.1 and every gear in the fuckin thing grinds like hell when im rompin the bastard i was just wondering if this is what u were expieriencing.

oh and if u still cant get that nut off, if u can get ahold of an impact chisel and u've cut far enough through it, put that fucker on there in it'll be off in a matter of seconds.

yeah i know how that goes. i had a 95 civic with a b18a and 3rd gear took a shit at about 110. when that fucker went it ripped through the bell housing and stuck in the road.

before..
0_IMAGE_00341.jpg

after..
0_IMAGE_00339.jpg

0_IMAGE_00340.jpg

Congratz, now you need a $65 axle, too.

I can't believe you couldn't muster enough force to either break the breaker bar or the nut. I've never run into such a problem. Its one or the other.

Should of just taking axle and knuckle out together. Swapped trans put everything back together and while its sitting on the tires "bust your nut". Problem avoided

yeah, well.. the guy that was helping me said there was no other way without fucking something up.
im moving in a few days so im just gonna try to put everything back together myself so i can load it up on the trailer.

That nut looks in better shape than most I've taken off at the junkyard. I'm 145lbs yo, and with my $12 Great Neck breaker bar from autozone I've never had an issue.

That sucks..

:werd: It takes serious power to do that to a transmission.

It's not just that; 3rd wouldn't even get to 110mph even with the cable LS transmissions(which has the taller FD) without revving over ~8300rpm....and how the hell would it rip out of the bell housing...which houses the clutch.

Almost all gear failures from drag cars just cause gears to shear or cases to crack; nothing really spectacular.

A strong impact wrench would've taken that off(ie those +500lb tq guns). Breaker bars don't always work....especially if it's flexing like hell. Difference is impact wrenches "shock" the bolt loose. Also, propane torches suck. I had a stuck jamb-nut on the tie rods....heated it up with a propane torch for like 15 minutes...didn't do crap. I had to take it to a shop where they used an acetylene torch to get it red hot in order to take it off.

What exactly do you mean by putting the axle back on?

I used a short section of pipe that was larger than my breaker bar and a long section of pipe that fit in the big pipe. So, it went breaker bar, larger pipe over breaker bar, small pipe inside larger pipe. Go steal a fence post if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back