Thought Leakage...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drbelanger73

Beer is good for you.
I have been turning over thoughts on my 94/DC2 and figured I would share them in case I had made any glaring omissions or erronious conclusions. At the moment I am restoring the body and interior of the car while i come to a conclusion on what I want to do and how I want to approach engine mods.

First, as was suggested to me, I'm gonna drive it stock and see what sort of canvas I have at hand. In the long term I am looking at the Performer X (p/n 1505 Edelbrock.com - Turbos - Performer X) turbo kit from Edelbrock. I know a lot will say that it is easier to put your own turbo kit together. I don't feel comfortable doing it, Edelbrock is a good name, the kit is 50 State Legal, and my mind is made up.

The add boasts 250whp at 8k rpm running 6-7psi installed on a "relatively stock" motor. The add also states that it requires no tuning as it comes with a stand alone ECU for the setup. I am somewhat leary of this claim I will admit. The Victor X is in fact the same kit without the ECU for higher power applications.

I have read a lot about piston swapping, block sleeving and decking, and all sorts of debates on head gasket strengths. Many of these sources are discussing high boost, big power engines. I intend this car as a daily driver not a magazine monster.

What sticks in my mind is what do I need to do as opposed to what should I do to make my investment last longer. It seems to me, based on my reading, I don't have to go to town on the block if I am going to run the basic (edelbrock) set up. The Brooklyn Bridge, however, is built to be triple redundant when it didn't have to be. I am thinking along these lines when it comes to my engine.

Transmission also comes to mind. I am not really clear on what sort of clutch and flywheel to look at. Stage 1 seems appropriate to me but I must confess I am not entirely read up on what all the stages mean; other than how much torque they can take. Then there is the question of axel upgrades. All the power in the world don't mean shit if you can't get it to the pavement.

As far as racing it goes I might try a Rally race some time as the specifications are far less stringent than the track. I don't have the finances to justify a real race car (read fuel cell, windows removed, sunroof plated over, etc.) hanging around the house.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I debated dropping this in the members lounge but where it was technical in nature I put it here. My engine books are too general and I don't have a six figure budget like these damn mags I read. At this moment I invested what I do have while I wait for the price to come down and I gather information.

The engine is the original B18C1, with 195k. It holds good compression and the leakdown test was good. I don't have the numbers on hand but I trust the guy that did it. I also have a spare head laying around that I could work with. This then begs the question of how far from "relatively stock" I go.

first stop should be doing all the maintenence stuff.

timing belt, water pump, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor, etc. it's a must.

if you have good compression, you will be fine. you will want to do more checkups than usual. The average human goes once a year, NFL stars go once a month. think of it that way.

you wont need new axles or anything like that. if you plan on driving daily, you should be fine. i would suggest getting better brakes and better tires to handle higher speeds and better acceleration.

Clutch and flywheel would be a good investment too, dont want to crack either.

First stop for me is to tear the whole engine out and slap it on a stand so I can stare at it for a while and maybe hop up and down like a chimp and make monkey noises (yes I know a chimp is an ape). :D

Seriously though I want to give the thing a good look over. I have found all sorts of things missing as I go along and I don't wish to come up short in this department. The AC is long gone, at least the compressor and heat exchanger so far as I can see. I also need to clean up the engine bay as the previous owner saw fit to spray paint black paint over just about everything in there. Its a mess, but Ill add that to my blog when the time comes.

With the engine removed I can get more easily at the clutch and flywheel. I was looking at these, listed respectively. Seems to me they could handle the job:
EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels
EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels

This brings up the idea of engine mounts, I may have to replace those as well. The car was driven in upstate new york and maine all its life so preservation has been a big concern as well. Anyone ever use the motor mount inserts from Hyperflex Acura Listings?

Two other things I glossed over: cooling and exhaust

I looked at this for exhaust (partly for price) Skunk2 Racing: 1994-99 INTEGRA GSR 2DR

As far as cooling goes I was looking at a fairly standard fluidyne radiator

FLUIDYNE - High Performance - Radiators and Oil Coolers

Back