Thoughts on a a few new cars...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bob Vila

ɐןıʌ qoq
Admin
VIP
So with my neighbor moving back to Georgia, it has allowed me to pick up his 1990 Toyota Tacoma for $200 bucks, which means I can trade in my 05 Dakota. I'm in the market for a newer used car and have my eyes set on a few...All are reasonably priced and well within my current budget for monthly payments (400 bucks w00t). Mind you, these won't be driven in the winter unless ultimately needed...

List of Potentials (in my preference)
  1. 01 BMW M5 - 60k, all options, one owner, Charcoal Grey (MMMMMMMMMMMM)
  2. 03 Audi S4 - 65k (Blue)
  3. 01-04 BMW 325/330CI's mid mileage (silver/red)
  4. 02-03 Acura TL rather low mileage (Both silver)
So what do you think? I think I'm headed to schedule a test drive of the M for Friday or next week.

Decisions, decisions...pros/cons?

Try and see if you can move up to an 04+ TL. Either that or get a good ext. warranty on the M5. It's a good initial investment, but maintenance will kill you.

Id probably go with the M. Why? Because if I had the money I would drive an M. If it fits your budget and the associated costs fit your budget then why not go with your number one choice? I doubt any of us can sway your choice :D

I'm not worried about maint. I work on my own cars, having numerous friends in the biz, and can get parts cheap...

400hp sounds nice...

I like the TL's except they're FWD....

M5 FTW.

but, umm, i don't think it will work out to 400/month unless you're putting a lot down.
you're looking at 30-35k for one of those (assuming its selling at market value)

5 years at 6% and you're looking at 675/month

:) I've worked the numbers....about mid 4 for the payment

Damn right. The 04+ TL has made it to the top of the "car I'm financing as soon as I can afford it" list. I recently drove a used 05 TL 6spd, and it supsrised me a lot.

I bet you go with the M5 just to spite all the TL fans haha.

Damn right. The 04+ TL has made it to the top of the "car I'm financing as soon as I can afford it" list. I recently drove a used 05 TL 6spd, and it supsrised me a lot.

When I was car shopping I tested out a bunch of random lux cars. I did not have a TL on my list of cars I wanted.

BMW did nothing for me.
Lex.. nothing
G35 was nice but I had a Z and didn't like the style all that much on the sedans.
TSX nice but a tad bit small and underpowered.

Went to a lot with a TL and told myself screw it why not take it for a test drive. I bought it that same day.

It was the ONLY car I test drove and it preformed better then I expected.
all the other cars felt like all talk and no go. The BMW IMO falls falt on it's face after 5K same as the A4 3.0 bah!

TL pulls like hell all the way to redline =) VtecH FTW!

I bet you go with the M5 just to spite all the TL fans haha.

If money and down time wasn't a factor I would have bought an M5.
Then again I think I would have rather bought an S4 (V8) but the price is a bit steeper.

List of Potentials (in my preference)
  1. 01 BMW M5 - 60k, all options, one owner, Charcoal Grey (MMMMMMMMMMMM)
  2. 03 Audi S4 - 65k (Blue)
  3. 01-04 BMW 325/330CI's mid mileage (silver/red)
  4. 02-03 Acura TL rather low mileage (Both silver).
Decisions, decisions...pros/cons?
1) 03 audi with 65k. not my first choice, it would be my last choice. reason is turbo & 65k = 4 to 7 thousand dollar service depending on were you go.

2) 02 -03 acura tl is my third choice. reason is it is not a bmw and it is not going to out perform the 01-04 325 or 330 and it is not as sexy.

3) 01-04 bmw 330ci hot car definetly give it some thought and give it a test drive.

4) ftw 01-02 m5 and my reason is 400 horse power @6600 rpm and 369 foot pounds of torque @ 3800 rpm. there is not another 4 door in its class that can touch it....:D class, power and sexy styling..

325/330 for sure.

by far the top of my list of cars I wanted to buy... then I drove one. for the miles it had, the car felt way older, it had very bad power for what people say. and if you read up on the message boards there's a LOT of stupid little issues with them. One major one is the door seal needs to be replaced every 60K miles or so. sure enough the car In sounded like the window was cracked but it wasnt..... nice. again power wise after you hit about 5K the cars power just kind of goes away. WTF!

Last edited:
Not on the list.... Mercedes.... where is the mercedes? E430 all the way... hehe

1998 E430 SPORT BLACK ON BLACK MINT
49_1825059_315200673602AM.jpg

comparing the 325 to the m5 is retarded.

my car revs out to 8400 with the chip, and it pulls like a bastard all the way to redline.

by far the top of my list of cars I wanted to buy... then I drove one. for the miles it had, the car felt way older, it had very bad power for what people say. and if you read up on the message boards there's a LOT of stupid little issues with them. One major one is the door seal needs to be replaced every 60K miles or so. sure enough the car In sounded like the window was cracked but it wasnt..... nice. again power wise after you hit about 5K the cars power just kind of goes away. WTF!

yeah same issue about the seals on my mirage. fucking sucks.

all cars having moving parts on them thaey are all going to have some sort of issues. you know you want the m5. dooooo eeettt

Back