Thoughts on a MA70 Supra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That is one of 2 things I want to avoid when buying a car.

<cracks his knuckles>

MA70 Supras are fine autocrossing cars. I got the best times in my / Airjockie's 87 over any modded Honda I've autocrossed. I began autocross (Solo 2, 1992-93) in a Supra. I've been driving Supras for my entire driving life (And RWD Celicas)

Supras handle like they are on rails. Yes, Don't disagree with me. The difference that you guys are seeing is the difference between a "Flickable" car and a "Planted" car. Supras are Planted, and not many japanese cars are. 3000GTs, Celica / Supras, ... And that's about it. Maybe the 4 doors like the Mazdas are planted. (626 and Atensis come to mind).

A Supra can handle just great. I have never put a Supra into a situation that the Supra hasn't gotten me out of. I have very much different to say about Hondas and Rx7s and the like. Supras are closer in handling qualities to the Vette than anything else. Exotics like Vette, Porsche, and BMW are in the same level of handling confidence that you can call "Planted".

Which would I rather do 130 in? Supra or RX7 ? Supra all the time, buddy.

As far as cost of repairs and items, you're looking at the wrong lines of Supras. 4th Gens, which are unrepentent ego-mobiles, cost a ton because they think you will pay that. But you can drop a quality exhaust in a Supra just like you can an old Camaro. Same dynamics apply.

As far as the Turbos, Turbo Supras (3rd gen MA70s) SUCK. I would rather build a supercharged (Whipple makes one... not cheap, but hey) 7MGE than any 7MGTE.

I don't "hate" 7MGTEs, but if I'm going to own a car, then it's not all about speed .I would like it if it ran well.

-> Steve

Seriously, listen to Steve. The 7MGTE blows head gaskets like a fifteen-year-old cheerleader with low self esteem. If you want turbo power in your MA70 Supra, drop the extra coin to get a 1JZGTE front clip from Japan.

a Guy in NY has a 2JZGTE with trans in his MA70. Nuts. IT doesn't fit for shit, but hey it flies :)

The shifter is all behind his elbow and shit.. it's cool looking in and seeing a blank spot where a shifter should be.

-> Steve

Bend that stick forward, talk about a neat shifting position.

Originally posted by Celerity@Dec 20 2004, 09:56 AM
<cracks his knuckles>

MA70 Supras are fine autocrossing cars. I got the best times in my / Airjockie's 87 over any modded Honda I've autocrossed. I began autocross (Solo 2, 1992-93) in a Supra. I've been driving Supras for my entire driving life (And RWD Celicas)

Supras handle like they are on rails. Yes, Don't disagree with me. The difference that you guys are seeing is the difference between a "Flickable" car and a "Planted" car. Supras are Planted, and not many japanese cars are. 3000GTs, Celica / Supras, ... And that's about it. Maybe the 4 doors like the Mazdas are planted. (626 and Atensis come to mind).

A Supra can handle just great. I have never put a Supra into a situation that the Supra hasn't gotten me out of. I have very much different to say about Hondas and Rx7s and the like. Supras are closer in handling qualities to the Vette than anything else. Exotics like Vette, Porsche, and BMW are in the same level of handling confidence that you can call "Planted".

Which would I rather do 130 in? Supra or RX7 ? Supra all the time, buddy.

As far as cost of repairs and items, you're looking at the wrong lines of Supras. 4th Gens, which are unrepentent ego-mobiles, cost a ton because they think you will pay that. But you can drop a quality exhaust in a Supra just like you can an old Camaro. Same dynamics apply.

As far as the Turbos, Turbo Supras (3rd gen MA70s) SUCK. I would rather build a supercharged (Whipple makes one... not cheap, but hey) 7MGE than any 7MGTE.

I don't "hate" 7MGTEs, but if I'm going to own a car, then it's not all about speed .I would like it if it ran well.

-> Steve
[post=434850]Quoted post[/post]​

I think you are confusing "Plant" with "Push" as that is what 626s and Supras do. Now of equal HP I wouldn't want to put an Supra against a RX7 I'll say that, but don't even compare a Supra to a Vette in handling, the vette is such a better car in handling and balance PERIOD

I've owned 3 of the cars in question, for periods of time that have allowed me to fully flex their muscles:

1987 RX7 GXL
1987 Supra NA
1984 Corvette (Automatic)

The Supra was dead on par with the RX7, with the RX7 doing it's normal shift-when-the-buzzer-screams driving. Neither car could shake the other around corners or in the straights. The RX7 seems to have more bite on the road, but the Supra was far more confidence inspiring.

The Vette combined the best of both - But of course wasn't as great a touring car as the Supra. The auto meant lower RPMs , and the V8 did more with those lower RPMs than the Supra. Corner gripping was the same for the Supra and the Corvette. Power sliding was more comfortable in the Supra, primarily due to the driver's seat being more forward the rear axle than the Corvette (The Vette tends to snap you laterally out of the seat, whereas the Supra will rotate around you)

The RX7 is very comparable to the 1989 MR2. Although my MR2 is a supercharged, so comparing other performance stats is simply unfair. (the MR2 romps it)

On matters of "Plant" versus "Push", I'm talking about it's connection to the road - Not the Gs on your seat. It feels "planted" in place. Concrete. Not going to slide out from under you. The RX7 and MR2 lack this. As do all of the Hondas I've ever driven.

On a side note, HP for these years is an uncomfortable topic, which I know will spawn argument. But here are the facts:

Import regulations changed rules for cars depending on the year they are brought over the border. A high-hp import will be charged more tariff and knocked out of a particular price class for being over certain magic numbers. One of those numbers is 205, the other is 145. The 1987 Supra and 1984 Corvette are both rated at "205" hp. While the Vette doesn't worry about tariffs, it does worry about ratings from the National Traffic Safety Commission. a 1984 Vette will dyno out 225hp (at an unknown RPM, I didn't dyno mine). The Supra NA dynoed at 215 at 5200 rpm. Pretty close.

The RX7 GXL dynoed at 205ish, but my ex-friend has that paperwork. The MR2, which is the big surprise is factory rated at 145 hp. It dynos at a significantly higher 195. Someone else showed a 205 with theirs - Both cars stock. These figures are posted as official, but again insurance and tariffs have been avoided.

I think I'm gonna go with this 289 Ford idea you brought up on AIM, Steve.

WIll the stock NA diff (with LSD) and driveline hold the power though?

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 22 2004, 11:13 AM
I think I'm gonna go with this 289 Ford idea you brought up on AIM, Steve.

WIll the stock NA diff (with LSD) and driveline hold the power though?
[post=435848]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup. It's a 7.5 inch rear, comparable to the Ford Explorer. (In fact, with some mild milling out, they are VERY close.)

The LSDs in the Supra tend to all be dead. The reason? Most Supras out there have high miles, and the helical LSD wears. Other cars with the same type of LSD rarely have over 100k on them. My Celica has the 7.5" rear with solid rear axle, and LSD, and at 135k it's tough to get them to lock. Your big benefit here is the fact that it's IRS. That way, the driveshaft doesn't have to move up and down. The CVs are pretty strong, and the transaxles are thicker than your standard SUV.

I believe Geoff Mohler (If you can find him) made a rear end brace for the Supra. He also made a few one-piece complete exhausts in 3" SS. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall.

-> Steve

Back