Thoughts on Anwr?

to drill or not to drill

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What's funny is how our media controls our political process.

Ask Americans what they want done about oil, illegal immigration, taxes, and you'd think McCain was gonna landslide

then ask them who they're voting for and they say "ummmm, Obama!"

One word: Iraq. That, and Mickey thinks we can bring 45 reactors online by 2030 which, sorry to say, is delusional.

Gasification
See also: Underground Coal Gasification High prices of oil and natural gas are leading to increased interest in "BTU Conversion" technologies such as gasification, methanation and liquefaction.
Coal gasification breaks down the coal into smaller molecular weight molecules, usually by subjecting it to high temperature and pressure, using steam and measured amounts of oxygen. This leads to the production of syngas, a mixture mainly consisting of carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrogen (H2).
In the past, coal was converted to make coal gas, which was piped to customers to burn for illumination, heating, and cooking. At present, the safer natural gas is used instead. South Africa still uses gasification of coal for much of its petrochemical needs.
The Synthetic Fuels Corporation was a U.S. government-funded corporation established in 1980 to create a market for alternatives to imported fossil fuels (such as coal gasification). The corporation was discontinued in 1985.
Gasification is also a possibility for future energy use, as the produced syngas can be cleaned-up relatively easily leading to cleaner burning than burning coal directly (the conventional way). The cleanliness of the cleaned-up syngas is comparable to natural gas enabling to burn it in a more efficient gas turbine rather than in a boiler used to drive a steam turbine. Syngas produced by gasification can be CO-shifted meaning that the combustible CO in the syngas is transferred into carbon dioxide (CO2) using water as a reactant. The CO-shift reaction also produces an amount of combustible hydrogen (H2) equal to the amount of CO converted into CO2. The CO2 concentrations (or rather CO2 partial pressures) obtained by using coal gasification followed by a CO-shift reaction are much higher than in case of direct combustion of coal in air (which is mostly nitrogen). These higher concentrations of carbon dioxide make carbon capture and storage much more economical than it otherwise would be.

[edit] Liquefaction - Coal-To-Liquids (CTL)

Coals can also be converted into liquid fuels like gasoline or diesel by several different processes. The Fischer-Tropsch process of indirect synthesis of liquid hydrocarbons was used in Nazi Germany for many years and is today used by Sasol in South Africa. Coal would be gasified to make syngas (a balanced purified mixture of CO and H2 gas) and the syngas condensed using Fischer-Tropsch catalysts to make light hydrocarbons which are further processed into gasoline and diesel. Syngas can also be converted to methanol, which can be used as a fuel, fuel additive, or further processed into gasoline via the Mobil M-gas process.
A direct liquefaction process Bergius process [8] (liquefaction by hydrogenation) is also available but has not been used outside Germany, where such processes were operated both during World War I and World War II. SASOL in South Africa has experimented with direct hydrogenation. Several other direct liquefaction processes have been developed, among these being the SRC-I and SRC-II (Solvent Refined Coal) processes developed by Gulf Oil and implemented as pilot plants in the United States in the 1960s and 1970s.[9]
Another direct hydrogenation process was explored by the NUS Corporation in 1976 and patented by Wilburn C. Schroeder. The process involved dried, pulverized coal mixed with roughly 1wt% molybdenum catalysts. Hydrogenation occurred by use of high temperature and pressure synthesis gas produced in a separate gasifier. The process ultimately yielded a synthetic crude product, Naphtha, a limited amount of C3/C4 gas, light-medium weight liquids (C5-C10) suitable for use as fuels, small amounts of NH3 and significant amounts of CO2.[10]
Yet another process to manufacture liquid hydrocarbons from coal is low temperature carbonization (LTC). Coal is coked at temperatures between 450 and 700°C compared to 800 to 1000°C for metallurgical coke. These temperatures optimize the production of coal tars richer in lighter hydrocarbons than normal coal tar. The coal tar is then further processed into fuels. The Karrick process was developed by Lewis C. Karrick, an oil shale technologist at the U.S. Bureau of Mines in the 1920s.
All of these liquid fuel production methods release carbon dioxide (CO2) in the conversion process, far more than is released in the extraction and refinement of liquid fuel production from petroleum. If these methods were adopted to replace declining petroleum supplies, carbon dioxide emissions would be greatly increased on a global scale. For future liquefaction projects, Carbon dioxide sequestration is proposed to avoid releasing it into the atmosphere, though no pilot projects have confirmed the feasibility of this approach on a wide scale. As CO2 is one of the process streams, sequestration is easier than from flue gases produced in combustion of coal with air, where CO2 is diluted by nitrogen and other gases. Sequestration will, however, add to the cost.
The reaction of coal and water using high temperature heat from a nuclear reactor offers promise of liquid transport fuels that could prove carbon-neutral compared to petroleum use. The development of a reliable nuclear reactor that could provide 900 to 1000 deg C process heat, such as the pebble bed reactor, would be necessary.
Coal liquefaction is one of the backstop technologies that could potentially limit escalation of oil prices and mitigate the effects of transportation energy shortage that some authors have suggested could occur under peak oil. This is contingent on liquefaction production capacity becoming large enough to satiate the very large and growing demand for petroleum. Estimates of the cost of producing liquid fuels from coal suggest that domestic U.S. production of fuel from coal becomes cost-competitive with oil priced at around 35 USD per barrel,[11] (break-even cost). This price, while above historical averages, is well below current oil prices. This makes coal a viable financial alternative to oil for the time being, although current production is small.[12]
Among commercially mature technologies, advantage for indirect coal liquefaction over direct coal liquefaction are reported by Williams and Larson (2003). Estimates are reported for sites in China where break-even cost for coal liquefaction may be in the range between 25 to 35 USD/barrel of oil.[citation needed]'
Intensive research and project developments have been implemented from 2001. The World CTL Award is granted to personalities having brought eminent contribution to the understanding and development of Coal liquefaction. The 2008 presentation ceremony took place at the World CTL 2008 Conference (3 & 4 April, 2008).

Last edited:
One word: Iraq. That, and Mickey thinks we can bring 45 reactors online by 2030 which, sorry to say, is delusional.

if we're talking new reactors I'd agree with you. If we're talking about updating offline, currently constructed reactors; retro fitting them with upgraded technology, and bringing them backonline I think it's doable if we start soon.

So far as Iraq goes McCain has got it nailed. It's funny how dems accuse Republicans of all these fear tactics, which they never use and then in the same breath say

"OMG we is stuck in Iwak for 100 years!!!"

which is a horrible, deliberate misinterpretation of truth that the media plays along with.

back to energy for a min. Hillary had a plan, McCain has a plan, Obama's plan is to stand on the stage and say "That won't work", meanwhile nothing get's fixed

Here's Obama's platform

Obama on Terror: Let's pull all of our leverage out of the area, then we'll talk with them with no conditions attached and try to convince them we're right

Obama on Healthcare: Let's give everyone free healthcare, I'm not willing to discuss how we're paying for this beyond some flowery "Robin Hood" rhetoric, and while annually National Healthcare will cost 8 times more then the Iraq war, it will not hurt our bottom line like the Iraq war does because... um.... CHANGE, YES WE CAN!!!!

Obama on Energy: McCain wants to increase Nuclear power and increase our domestic supply, but that won't work

the only change Obama is going to make is to take us from Bad Ideas (bush) to no ideas

Last edited:
if we're talking new reactors I'd agree with you. If we're talking about updating offline, currently constructed reactors; retro fitting them with upgraded technology, and bringing them backonline I think it's doable if we start soon.

He said he wants to set a goal of 45 new reactors by 2030. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/us/politics/19nuke.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (Yeah, times article... I know)

I will agree with you that ALL of our current reactors need to be upgraded and brought online to their maximum capacity. This should have been done ages ago.

So far as Iraq goes McCain has got it nailed. It's funny how dems accuse Republicans of all these fear tactics, which they never use and then in the same breath say

which is a horrible, deliberate misinterpretation of truth that the media plays along with.
The simple truth is people want out. Doesn't matter for what reason... they want out. I think we (read: the ENTIRE country) agreed on kicking Afghani ass. However Iraq shouldn't have hit the table the way it did. We're seriously tied down and honestly, that money needs to be fixing this country, not that one.

EDIT: As for Repub fear tactics... "The Stakes".

Last edited:
no they want the war to end, If deployment to Iraq because the same as deployment to Japan, Germany, or even Korea by and large the public would be fine with it (nobody was screaming for us to leave Kuwait in the late 90's)

that's the situation McCain said he could see us there for 100 years in, not a war. The surge is making strides towards this.

back to energy for a min. Hillary had a plan, McCain has a plan, Obama's plan is to stand on the stage and say "That won't work", meanwhile nothing get's fixed

Here's Obama's platform

Obama on Terror: Let's pull all of our leverage out of the area, then we'll talk with them with no conditions attached and try to convince them we're right

Obama on Healthcare: Let's give everyone free healthcare, I'm not willing to discuss how we're paying for this beyond some flowery "Robin Hood" rhetoric

Obama on Energy: McCain wants to increase Nuclear power and increase our domestic supply, but that won't work

the only change Obama is going to make is to take us from Bad Ideas (bush) to no ideas
i think the company's should make oil 20$ a gallon.
then it wouldnt be a dependent to us.
then america would slim down, and actually exercise for a change

yeah, right after our economy collapses. and if you meant slim down as in starve then I agree

I'm all for getting off oil. I have these ideas I've drawn up for all kinds of alternate energy theory, even energy recycling, but right now we need to decrease foreign oil dependency so we aren't putting money into terrorist pockets while trying to fight them

i think the company's should make oil 20$ a gallon.
then it wouldnt be a dependent to us.
then america would slim down, and actually exercise for a change
Well boy oh boy - are you in luck ! I pay a little over $4 a gallon for gas. I'll turn around and sell it to you for $20 !

It's a WIN WIN !

Well boy oh boy - are you in luck ! I pay a little over $4 a gallon for gas. I'll turn around and sell it to you for $20 !

It's a WIN WIN !

You missed it, Cel...

He wants OIL to be 20 per gallon. As in the stuff that comes in 55 gallon barrels.

Holy hell, you think energy costs are bad now!

Not bad. Times a billion and arabs will have ".... ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD" by the end of the week.

Sabz fails at politics

Hope fails at economics

Cel fails at humor

FAIL-2.gif

Last edited:
"I think it's a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don't hold up to scientific inquiry." - Bam-O

That's one of the reasons he gets my vote. Sorry, but get your bible outta my science class.

Yes, this is an important issue to me. You can't expect to produce the next generation of minds by telling them some "agency" POOFed the universe into existence with no evidence besides a bronze-age collection of stories.

I found out where my money goes for gas:
There is NOTHING Americans can do about importing oil from the Middle East for the next 10+ years and they (middle east leaders) will be richer and richer Leaders in these oil rich countries.

SOMETHING AMERICANS SHOULD PONDER AS THEY PUMP GAS IN THEIR SUV'S AND SPEED DOWN THE HIGHWAY IN THEIR CARS............................

HERE'S WHERE YOUR $$$$$$$ GO..............

mail

Dubai in 1990

mail

The same street in 2003

mail

Last year

mail

The madness. Dubai is said to currently have 15-25% of all the world's cranes.

mail

The Dubai Waterfront. When completed it will become the largest waterfront development in the world .

mail

All of this was built in the last 5 years, including that island that looks like a palm tree.

mail

The Palm Islands in Dubai . New Dutch dredging technology was used to create these massive man made islands.

They are the largest artificial islands in the world and can be seen from space.

Three of these Palms will be made with the last one being the largest of them all.

mail

Upon completion, the resort will have 2,000 villas, 40 luxury hotels, shopping centers, movie theaters, and many other facilities. It is expected to support a population of approximately 500,000 people. It is advertised as being visible from the moon.

mail

The World Islands .. 300 artificially created islands in the shape of the world

Each island will have an estimated cost of $25-30 million.

mail

The Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai . The worlds tallest hotel.

Considered the only '7 star' hotel and the most luxurious hotel in the world.

It stands on an artificial island in the sea.

mail

Hydropolis, the world's first underwater hotel.

Entirely built in Germany and then assembled in Dubai , it is scheduled to be completed by 2009 after many delays.

mail

The Burj Dubai. Construction began in 2005 and is expected to be complete by 2008.

At an estimated height of over 800 meters, it will easily be world's tallest building when finished.

It will be almost 40 percent taller than the current tallest building, the Yaipei 101.

mail

This is what downtown Dubai will look like around 2008-2009.

More than 140 stories of the Burj Dubai have already been completed.

It is already the worlds tallest man made structure and it is still not scheduled to be completed for at least another year.

mail

The Al Burj. This will be the centerpiece of the Dubai Waterfront. Once completed it will take over the title of the tallest structure in the world from the Burj Dubai.

mail
?

Recently it was announced that the final height of this tower will be 1200 meters.

That would make it more than 30 percent taller than the Burj Dubai and three times as tall as the Empire State Building ..

mail

The Burj al Alam, or The World Tower .. Upon completion it will rank as the world's highest hotel. It is expected to be finished by 2009. At 480 meters it will only be 28 meters shorter than the Taipei 101.

mail

The Trump International Hotel & Tower, which will be the centerpiece of one of the palm islands, The Palm Jumeirah.

mail

mail

Dubailand. Currently, the largest amusement park collection in the world is Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando , which is also the largest single-site employer in the United states with 58,000 employees.

Dubailand will be twice the size.

mail

mail

Dubailand will be built on 3 billion square feet (107 miles^2) at an estimated $20 billion price tag. The site will include a purported 45 mega projects and 200 hundred other smaller projects.

mail

Dubai Sports City. A huge collection of sports arenas located in Dubailand.

mail

Currently, the Walt Disney World Resort is the #1 tourist destination in the world. Once fully completed, Dubailand will easily take over that title since it is expected to attract 200,000 visitors daily.

mail

The Dubai Marina is an entirely man made development that will contain over 200 highrise buildings when finished. It will be home to some of the tallest residential structures in the world.

The completed first phase of the project is shown.

Most of the other high rise buildings will be finished by 2009-2010.

mail

The Dubai Mall will be the largest shopping mall in the world with over 9 million square feet of shopping and around 1000 stores. It will be completed in 2008.

mail

Ski Dubai , which is already open, is the largest indoor skiing facility in the world.

This is a rendered image of another future indoor skiing facility that is being planned.

mail

Some of the tallest buildings in the world, such as Ocean Heights and The Princess Tower, which will be the largest residential building in the world at over a 100 stories, will line the Dubai Marina.

The UAE Spaceport would be the first spaceport in the world if construction ever gets under way.

And... The Dubai Metro system, once completed, will become the largest fully automated rail system in the world. The Dubai World Central International Airport will become the largest airport in size when it is completed. It will also eventually become the busiest airport in the world, based on passenger volume. There are more construction workers in Dubai than there are actual citizens.

KINDA GIVES ONE AN INCENTIVE TO CONSERVE DOESN'T IT????

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it.
It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American
goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money
into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that
don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I
fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to
kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil
companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies
import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell......................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco...................... 62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America , from a Dictator who hates
Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to
over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel).

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco.................. 0 barrels

Conoco.................. 0 barrels

Sinclair.................. 0 barrels

BP/Phillips............. 0 barrels

Hess..................... 0 barrels

ARC0..................... 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy
and each is required to state where t hey get their oil and how much
they are importing.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas
buyers. It's really simple to do.

Now, don't wimp out at this point . . . keep reading and I'll explain
how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send
it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to
at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached
over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get
excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million
people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it . . . THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would
all that take?

But all we will do with it is export it to some other country, I doubt that if it is tapped we will see any significant drop in gas prices.

Why would we export it to some other country? I would assume that if they're going to open it to drilling at this point, it would be to ease the fuel cost burden on Americans, not to ship it off to some other country...

Bandaid on a bullet wound. Nuff said.

I completely agree that it's a band-aid and not a permanent solution. However, you and others in this thread freely admit that we haven't yet found a viable source of alternative, renewable energy yet that will work on a large scale. We're going to need band-aids to get us through the next few years while we find that source and figure out how to implement it on a national scale.

If drilling in ANWR will help in the meantime, I say do it.

And the other guy... I dont know him well enough yet :)

He could handle bringing dead threads back to life perhaps? He is kind of a noob... :shrug2:

but everyone has their own opinions.
and yes, i now realize that the American economy will collapse without oil/gasoline.
im not the smartest 18 yr old^_^ but i do my research.

I completely agree that it's a band-aid and not a permanent solution. However, you and others in this thread freely admit that we haven't yet found a viable source of alternative, renewable energy yet that will work on a large scale. We're going to need band-aids to get us through the next few years while we find that source and figure out how to implement it on a national scale.

If drilling in ANWR will help in the meantime, I say do it.

The problem for ANWR is this: it won't help us NOW. It would take several years to get the infrastructure in place and start drilling. That's not even starting to get the juice from the ground. We'll still be feeling the burn, even more so if we have to share the burden at the pump to pay for said infrastructure.

Billie didn't allow it because at the time we had 99 cent gas. Supply wasn't a problem then. Right now the only thing ANWR would do is give the Co's another reason to bump the price.

If we could start seeing the crude from ANWR within a single year, I'd be out there building the things myself. But there's no possible way that will happen, not even in a Hummer owner's wet dream.

Classic example of hindsight being 20/20.

Back