Thoughts on Anwr?

to drill or not to drill

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'd pimp the hell out of that thing... have CHRNBYL on the license plate.

Thats bad....

I would like to point out one thing...

Department of Energy - Department of Energy Requests $23.6 Billion for FY 2007
The Advanced Energy Initiative aims to reduce America’s dependence on imported energy sources. The FY 2007 DOE budget requests $2.1 billion to meet these goals, an increase of $381 million over FY 2006. Funding will help develop clean, affordable sources of energy that will help reduce the use of fossil fuels and lead to changes in the way we power our homes, businesses and cars.

U.S. war costs in Iraq up-budget report | Reuters
War funding, which averaged about $93 billion a year from 2003 through 2005, rose to $120 billion in 2006 and $171 billion in 2007 and President George W. Bush has asked for $193 billion in 2008, the nonpartisan office wrote.

Now this is total speculation, but i'd say gas prices and alternate energy are pretty high on the american people's minds. Why are we only spending 2 billion on energy and 193 billion on the war.

Anyone else see a problem here?

#5 - The oil companies are welcome to charge as much as they can get away with. But their business should also be evaluated not just on their low price of product: Service stations are dumps, gas stations are dangerous places, and the pumps are getting cheaper and cheaper. (A single fuel-line pump holds .7-1.3 gallons of old fuel in the filter and line. That means that when I fill up my bike, I get 20% of someone's crap gas for my premium dollar)

It's not law in the US. That's the simple explanation. The other explanation is that most american cars don't require premium gasoline.

Here, at Shell stations, you get the choice of 4 grades of gasoline, (all of these are equated to US grades) 91, 93, 95, and 100, PLUS two grades of diesel (something about particulate levels). I wish everyone would just stop buying gas at single-hose pumps. When I get my bike, I'm not putting anything but premium in it, ever. But I also don't have to pump someone's 85 octane crap either. I use a bottle of "HEET" every tank. Mmmmm. Methanol.

Ethanol isn't a sollution for high fuel costs. Ethanol is a sollution for carbon emissions, kinda. When the power used to create ethanol fuels is coal-based, you've effectively negated the carbon offset of burning ethanol.

Honestly, Drill it. Let the earthquakes come. That's the only way people will react. Sorry to all you Alaskaners who will have to suffer.

I'm thinking that one source isn't going to fix anything. We keep trying to solve the oil problem. Where we should diversify. Everyone keeps mentioning a different source of energy. Why not all of them?

It would be like some retail companys do for shipping problems. They go through all the major carriers, in case say ups strikes, they have fedex or dhl. Or if dhl is to expensive, they can use fedex.

Or like an south American country that relies on just coffee and cocain for it's major export, the second a hurrican fly's over thier screwed.

I just don't think one energy source is the answer.
Each of these alternatives will be weighed for profitability. Every company will go for that single most profitable source.

heres another angle to think about

imagine you are a current oil producing foreign country or company
the US and US oil companies get the go ahead to start drilling in anwar and other currently off limits locations
you know that once that oil hits the market it will reduce the demand for your oil
but you also know it will take about 10 years for all of that oil to come on line... so you have a 10 year warning that the demand and in turn the price for your oil is going to reduce (possibly drastically) would you lower your price now, knowing that in 10 years you will have to? or would you jack your price up to make up for the lower profits you will be seeing in 10 or so years?

i know if it was me i would jack the shit out of my prices so i could make as much profit as i could while i could and deal with the lower profits in 10 years

all of this research and drilling and transporting and building and refining, is going to cost shit tons of money... that money will need to be offset with the price of the product...and even then with rising costs of everything... in 10 years when this oil finally does make it to market... will we be looking back at the days of $140 a barrel oil as if it was cheap? will we be looking at $5 a gallon gasoline as if it was cheap? i remember 4 or 5 years ago when gas was hitting $2 a gallon and people were flipping the fuck out... if gas was to go to $2 a gallon now people would be spontaneously orgasming in the streets

the days of cheap gas are over... we need more efficient modes of transportation... however we (america) have dropped the ball on creating fuel efficient vehicles, mostly because we got lazy and assumed we didnt need it when our gas was so cheap (kinda like we didnt think we had to drill for more oil because gas was so cheap)
changing the standards of what "fuel efficient" means might work for the idiots out there (unfortunately there is a lot of them) but there are also a lot of people who dont fall for that shit... theres a lot of people like me out there that want to smash their TV or radio every time they see or hear a commercial touting the new "fuel efficient" shit heap that gets 28MPG... its up to us to make the car companies know what we give a shit about REAL fuel efficiency not this fake ass 28mpg shit... its up to us to put the pressure on them to make REAL fuel efficiency a reality... if the CRX HF could get 50mpg at the end of the 80s... if the average civic could see 40mpg in the early 90s... there really is no reason that every car on the road shouldnt be able to pull at least 65mpg today... theres no reason trucks shouldnt be pulling 35+mpg today

we also need to push for more alternative energy vehicles... full electric cars tend to lack in either speed or range... 25mph with a 15 mile range is not a realistic replacement for a fuel powered vehicle... there are electric cars out there with better speed and range, but they tend to be cost prohibitive ($100,000.00 price tag)... battery technology is currently too expensive to get goos range at a reasonable speed for a decent price... but there is phase hybrid (im pretty sure thats what its called) technology out there that would allow a fuel efficient generator to be run off of fuel along side of electric motors with a battery pack that would allow for plug in hybrid capability... there are several cars currently being worked on with this technology... you can run 40-60 miles on strictly battery power... plug in at home, plug in at work, etc... if you dont exceed 60miles at a time your car wont need a drop of fuel... beyond that distance the generator fires up and provides power for the electric motors to run off of... this would give a efficient vehicle with highway speed capability, with the ability of being used for extended trips
its kinda like a lot of the trains in the north east (and probly other areas... but im familiar with the ones around here)... they have electric motors that move the train... the motors are supplied power either by a diesel generator, or over head power lines... when in areas with overhead power the train runs off of that... when there is no overhead power the train runs off of the generator...

these are all technologies that are available today... there are several companies currently competing for the X prise of making a mass producible vehicle that gets 100 MPGe that are using the phase hybrid design...

as battery technology gets better and less expensive these plug in phase hybrids will be able to achieve greater distances off of battery only power, as well as quicker recharging times...
develop generators that will run off of alternative renewable fuel sources, and you can have a car that doesnt need gas at all, is capable of highway speeds, and conventional gas engine ranges :thumbsup:

heres another angle to think about

imagine you are a current oil producing foreign country or company
the US and US oil companies get the go ahead to start drilling in anwar and other currently off limits locations
I'm at work, and not comprehending this all. But this part right here.

If I'm an "oil producing country" (IE: The king, because no one else gets fucking shit) then jacking the prices up to practice a "scorched earth" economic policy wouldn't really make sense.

Unless I wanted a 6th Gold Mercedes.

yeah... i'm ALL for nuclear power, but in a car is just ridiculous. lol

yeah... i dont want a "dirty bomb" going off every time some non driving asshat decides to stuff their self into a tree / pole / guardrail /other car / building / etc

I'm at work, and not comprehending this all. But this part right here.

If I'm an "oil producing country" (IE: The king, because no one else gets fucking shit) then jacking the prices up to practice a "scorched earth" economic policy wouldn't really make sense.

Unless I wanted a 6th Gold Mercedes.

sure it would make sense...
right now you are one of a very few people who supply a product
you make a handy profit on that product
you get word that in a few years you are going to have more competition... and that competition is going to eat into your profit
do you continue on the same policy making the same profits and patiently wait for your competitor to show up and eat away at your profit?
or do you rearrange your policies to make maximum profits while you are the leading supplier of that product, so that when your competitor does show up, you have padded your profits for the hit that you are going to take?

think of it like building your retirement fund... you try to maximize it now while you dont need it so that later when you dont have as much income you can still live comfortably... granted this is on a FARRRR larger scale than you, me, or anyone elses retirement fund on this board... but its the same shit
if someone told you that you would only be able to make money for the next 10 years you would do everything in your power to make as much as you possibly could in that 10 years in order to prepare for the years after that... anything less would be irresponsible (all gold Mercedes aside ;) )

.....even if I owned a hybrid, I still have to use petro, albeit not as much.

[rant]
dont kid yourself... the only hybrid out there that is more efficient than an average honda from the late 80s early 90s is the Insight

the rest get laughable mpg... the Prius that all these ass fuck tree hugging dip shits hold in such high fucking regard gets the same mpg as my 93 D16Z6 del sol did
i have seen a lot of Priuses, and have yet to see one averaging more than 40 (+-2)mpg
my Insight had a lifetime average MPG of about 55... and i drove the fuck out of that car... if i drove it like a normal person 60-65 was common... my highest average for a tank of gas was 73.2mpg
Prius owners use to shit themselves when i showed them my average MPG numbers
hybrids available today are more about the idea of fuel economy than the actual practice of it.... 30 mpg hybrids :disgust1: whoop dee fucking do

[/rant]

yeah... i'm ALL for nuclear power, but in a car is just ridiculous. lol

I don't know if I want my local pakistani convenient store owner driving a nuclear device around New Jersey, playing slalom with the neighborhood kids kamikazeing across the streets like assholes...not that I'm racist but have you ever seen the way Pakistani's drive? It's not too long till he hits my friend's little brother on his bike and the pegs penetrates the nucleus and disrupting the core, and whoops, no more Jersey shore and half of NYC - One positive, no more Staten Island - or everybody who's born after it within a 30 mile radius will have 12 toes and three dicks and another person growing out of their ass.

And you're all for drilling for new oil in Alaska... where do you think that oil is going to end up being refined? Jersey.

settle down Beavis... im just fuckin with ya... jersey isnt that bad (most of it anyway) its got its fair share of shit pits... but so does pretty much every other state

And you're all for drilling for new oil in Alaska... where do you think that oil is going to end up being refined? Jersey.

who the fuck are you to say the oil will end up in jersey? do you work for the fucking pentagon?or are you in congress?

drill the fuckin oil! i will be dead and gone before any serious shit hits the fan anyway.
and who says shit will hit the fan anyways? al fucking gore , that stupid cocksucker dont know shit, have any of you seen that dumb ass flick he put out? " The inconvenient Truth? that was a big ass waste of money.

and seriously how do we know that crude oil is not a renewable source?, it was obviously here before we were. and the shit did not just "appear"
is it because good 'ol uncle sam says that the end is near? WTF?

i say drill anwar, but dont go crazy ,as to killing off the wildlife there, and fuck the tree huggers .

Last edited:
Sell me your Insight. I've been trying to buy one but none available. :(

Although, my 88 Civic gets ~57mpg hwy/~41mpg average...it's not comfortable.

Also, whatever happened to that algae thing?

Back