thoughts on ephedra?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
I'm considering going on some...

people have died from it according to some websites, but its results look like something im after.

im going to the gym regularly, i quit smoking, and im trying to get back in shape and loose some weight

---Medicinal Action and Uses---A sympathetic nerve stimulant resembling adrenaline, its effect on the unstriped muscular fibres is remarkable. It acts promptly in relieving swellings of the mucous membrane. It has valuable antispasmodic properties, acts on the air passages and is of benefit in asthma and hay fever; it is also employed for rheumatism; a 5 to 10 per cent solution has mydriatic properties, prophylactically used for low blood pressure in influenza, pneumonia, etc. Used in tablet form for oral or hypodermic administration and in ampuls for hypodermic, intramuscular and intravenous use. It can advantageously be used in solution with liquid paraffin, either alone or in conjunction with methol camphor and oil of thyme. Dose, 1/2 to 1 grain.

the muscle fiber shit is what gets me. i heal SLOW after a burn work out. im sore for 3-4 days sometimes.

How can Ephedra be used to lose weight?
Ephedra reduces appetite and stimulates fat metabolism, making it very effective as weight-loss supplement. The active compound in Ephedra (Ma Huang) is ephedrine. Ephedrine increases the metabolic rate, so that your body burns fats and sugar more efficiently. By mobilizing stored fat and carbohydrate reserves, ephedrine reduces your appetite.

Ephedra in the U.S.
In the US, ephedra is sold as dietary supplements called Metabolife and MetaboMax. By and large, the only active ingredients in these preparations are ephedrine and caffeine. If you buy your own ephedra ephedra and drink a cup of coffee (or guarana-tea) you can save about 50%.

How to use Ephedra
The best way to keep unwanted weight off remains reducing your food intake and increasing your daily physical activity. While ephedra is no wonder drug, it can be a valuable aid in helping you get though your chosen diet and exercise regimen.

so, whats your thoughts?

or what about hydroxycut, which is ephedra free?

I just started taking a light amount of them, I know it's not considered healthy, but when you get pissed off cause you got shafted on the genes with metabolism, what else are you going to do? Excersise boost metabolism some, nicotine does also, but personally I refuse to smoke. So as of now I take two pills a day after lunch and dinner just to gain some from it. I have notice it does reduce appetite as long as you have the will power not to snack. I've only been taking them for about a week or two, so if you want I'll give you an update at a month. I did have a friend that took some kind of weight loss pill over a break and within 3 weeks he droped about 30-40lbs, a little to quick for me, you'll notice your face gets very boney looking, but within a month of working out after that he was looking fine. I think the risk all determine on the strength of it that you take, and also your current physical condition.

A girl I know very well tried the Metabolife crap with Ephedra within 3 months she developed some nasty ulcers. she also started having gastric intestine problems.

she stoped taking the product and was still left with an ulcer and most other problems went away.

You complain about being sore after a workout for a few days, well that time of being sore will decrease as you get back into shape. I say do it naturaly or don't do it at all.

my mom is trying the atkins diet right now. she isn't really overweight either, but this is like her third week of atkins plus light excercise and she has lost 10lbs.

in my opinion atkins>>pills.

stacker 3's.

i bought a bottle of that miracle-diet shit, cuz i wanted to get rid of a little weight....i havent had a day that i felt like shitting all day come around, so it sits in the fridge.

i started taking stacker 3s and working out...theyre great.

its not exercise y0. i've been hitting up the gm for 2+ hours a day. I ran about 7 miles this week alone, not to mention lifting.

and coming out of being a pack-a-day smoker for 5 years, 7 miles is a fucking hike.

basically, its this...

Although ephedra may indeed help the body burn fat -- it's known as a thermogenic aid, meaning it raises metabolism and increases heart rate -- that weight-loss potential may come with a risk. Some studies have linked use of the herb to stroke, heart attack, seizures and sudden death. The Food and Drug Administration says it has received more than 1,200 reports of adverse events linked to ephedra, although supplement makers say the health problems could have occurred even if people hadn't taken ephedra.

1200 people out of HOW MANY? i mean- its liek cigarettes... some people get cancer after smoking a year. others smoke 4 packs a day till they're 90 and never get anything...

and i've never had a problem being :alergic: to stuff so to speak... so i', not worried about being one of the 10 people who died from it...

Methods. We reviewed 140 reports of adverse events related to the use of dietary supplements containing ephedra alkaloids that were submitted to the FDA between June 1, 1997, and March 31, 1999. A standardized rating system for assessing causation was applied to each adverse event.

Results. Thirty-one percent of cases were considered to be definitely or probably related to the use of supplements containing ephedra alkaloids, and 31 percent were deemed to be possibly related. Among the adverse events that were deemed definitely, probably, or possibly related to the use of supplements containing ephedra alkaloids, 47 percent involved cardiovascular symptoms and 18 percent involved the central nervous system. Hypertension was the single most frequent adverse effect (17 reports), followed by palpitations, tachycardia, or both (13); stroke (10); and seizures (7). Ten events resulted in death, and 13 events produced permanent disability, representing 26 percent of the definite, probable, and possible cases.

Conclusions. The use of dietary supplements that contain ephedra alkaloids may pose a health risk to some persons. These findings indicate the need for a better understanding of individual susceptibility to the adverse effects of such dietary supplements.

and who knows what those 140 people were like... 80? 50? 20?

stroke? wtf. no one has strokes who has good blood pressure...

i dunno its all BS

Dude B, if you remeber a while ago i was talking about losing wieght also, i have lost like 30+ lbs. and what i did was go to the gym like you were, but i ate like 1 piece of fruit for breakfast, and a power bar for a late lunch early dinner. And when you go to the gym don't just do cardio, do some free wieghts. Cardio burns fat and unused muscle. do what i did and vary your work outs at the gym. one day wieghts the other cardio, and don't forget to stretch, thats why you are sore. hope i could help, pm me if you have any other questions.

Peace

Jeff

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Oct 31 2003, 10:44 AM
my mom is trying the atkins diet right now. she isn't really overweight either, but this is like her third week of atkins plus light excercise and she has lost 10lbs.

in my opinion atkins>>pills.

fuck atkins.

the second you start eating carbs again, you gain it all back. its the stupidest diet ever, unless you never want to eat bread again.

i know i cna loose weight- hell, 2 years ago i was 180 lbs.

im 245 right now, sporting a 38" waist.

im comfortable in a 36" and right around 200. 180, i was pretty thin... but had no real muscle either... it was just poor eating *cough* RAMEN *cough* and smoking and walking to class. lol

now, i sit on my ass all day, so i need the gym. I eat more, not necessarily better, but more variety, and i go out to eat more than i eat at home- not necessarily fast food, but i go out a lot.

so, my goal is to loose 45 lbs and 2 inches off my waist, loose the man boobs, by an R6, and wear wife beaters and pick up chicks.

lol

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 31 2003, 10:56 AM

so, my goal is to loose 45 lbs and 2 inches off my waist, loose the man boobs, by an R6, and wear wife beaters and pick up chicks.

lol

Jeremy??? How did you hack into Brians teh PC???

Originally posted by haccord141@Oct 31 2003, 10:52 AM
Dude B, if you remeber a while ago i was talking about losing wieght also, i have lost like 30+ lbs. and what i did was go to the gym like you were, but i ate like 1 piece of fruit for breakfast, and a power bar for a late lunch early dinner. And when you go to the gym don't just do cardio, do some free wieghts. Cardio burns fat and unused muscle. do what i did and vary your work outs at the gym. one day wieghts the other cardio, and don't forget to stretch, thats why you are sore. hope i could help, pm me if you have any other questions.

Peace

Jeff

i dont remember. all i remember was you stealing my name dawg :D

i dont eat breakfast. i know, its the most important blah fucking blah... but i rarely eat before i've been up for 3 hours or so.
breakfast = 7pm ish for me too... so im all fucked up.

2-4 am is lunch time, and at work i usually bring a sandwhich or somekinda lean cusine microwave dinner. not the 50000 calorie ones either.

i run 1-2 miles each day i've been to the gym, followed by lifting a particular muscule group.

tues - ran, couple legs, abs,
wed - ran, biked, chest N tries
thurs - ran, shoulders N upper back
today - ran, biceps, quads, calves

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 31 2003, 11:00 AM-->
haccord141
@Oct 31 2003, 10:52 AM

Peace

Jeff

i dont remember. all i remember was you stealing my name dawg :D

i dont eat breakfast. i know, its the most important blah fucking blah... but i rarely eat before i've been up for 3 hours or so.
breakfast = 7pm ish for me too... so im all fucked up.

2-4 am is lunch time, and at work i usually bring a sandwhich or somekinda lean cusine microwave dinner. not the 50000 calorie ones either.

i run 1-2 miles each day i've been to the gym, followed by lifting a particular muscule group.

tues - ran, couple legs, abs,
wed - ran, biked, chest N tries
thurs - ran, shoulders N upper back
today - ran, biceps, quads, calves

well i am still pissed off about that fucking fucus. He had to have NAWWWWWWWWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Y0000000000!!!!

thats a good plan but it could be better.

first do abs everyday.

mon-run/abs
tues-abs/legs
wed-run/abs
thurs-abs/back
fri-run/abs
sat-abs/upper body
sun-rest

and repeat, but vary the workouts when targeting the legs, abs, back, and upper body. You will see results quick this way.

stroke? wtf. no one has strokes who has good blood pressure...

i dunno its all BS

Thats not necesarily true. There are two types of strokes, ischemic and hemmoraghic. Ischemic strokes are just blockages while hemmoraghic rupture. High blood pressure usually causes the hemorraghic type while ischemic can be caused by a thrombus or blood clot that has travelled through the body and become lodged into a vessel. Personally, I think you should stay away from ephedra because it is the same make up of the stuff that was banned in the 90's for killing people (phen phen). Ripped Fuel can do the same. As far as the Atkins diet, I haven't really heard of anyone dying of heart attacks or strokes but it's not good to avoid suppliments your body needs becasue this causes failure of organs. If you do try the Atkins you should take supplements or vitamins of a samll amount so that you don't completely rid your body of the nutrients it needs. As for me, I am eating healthier (not as much junk food and more H2O) and working my ass off. Perhaps you need to do more cardio vascular than just weight lifting. You could be just building muscle and not burning the fat at an efficient rate.
;)

If you want to drop a few pounds your best bet is to do what you are doing, hitting up they gym etc etc. But one KEY component is water. Drink plenty of it. not the flavored stuff, not the high protein stuff from the gym, just plain ol water outta the tap. When I go, I drink 2-3 glasses of water, it helps to burn the cals and def flushes your system out, plus it helps on the soreness that you incur when lifting...

Always, always start by stretching, take a few minutes and just do basic stretches...next, bring up your heart rate by doing cardio, bike, treadmil etc, I usually do this for 20-60 minutes. Then I usually concentrate on one area of my body. Lately I have been concentrating on my torso, peck area, abs. My legs are strong as crap and my calfs are lean. My torso/arms are my problem areas so thats where i divulge most of my time.

Your diet: you are always goign to be on a fkd up eating habit because of work, If i were you I would eat a good breakfast, and have that sandwhich whatever for lunch, but no dinner, when you get home you are usually passing out, whateer you do, dont eat before you go to bed, thats why there is lbs being packed on.

Just keep doing what your doing and you should be fine. I have to start going back to the gym on a daily basis instead of my 2 times a week...haha

Originally posted by sisteve@Oct 31 2003, 11:18 AM
If you want to drop a few pounds your best bet is to do what you are doing, hitting up they gym etc etc. But one KEY component is water. Drink plenty of it. not the flavored stuff, not the high protein stuff from the gym, just plain ol water outta the tap. When I go, I drink 2-3 glasses of water, it helps to burn the cals and def flushes your system out, plus it helps on the soreness that you incur when lifting...

Always, always start by stretching, take a few minutes and just do basic stretches...next, bring up your heart rate by doing cardio, bike, treadmil etc, I usually do this for 20-60 minutes. Then I usually concentrate on one area of my body. Lately I have been concentrating on my torso, peck area, abs. My legs are strong as crap and my calfs are lean. My torso/arms are my problem areas so thats where i divulge most of my time.

Your diet: you are always goign to be on a fkd up eating habit because of work, If i were you I would eat a good breakfast, and have that sandwhich whatever for lunch, but no dinner, when you get home you are usually passing out, whateer you do, dont eat before you go to bed, thats why there is lbs being packed on.

Just keep doing what your doing and you should be fine. I have to start going back to the gym on a daily basis instead of my 2 times a week...haha

thats good but you have to vary the work out and one day do cardio the other do free wieghts, trust me i already got told by a trainer about this, so do it.

I was :owned: by a personal trainer, but she was f*cking hot. :hitit: if she let me. :D :lol: ;)

B, theres this stuff called naked. is like a pound of fruit in a bottle, its filling, and its all natural (no sugar etc.), and it tastes great. try chuggin one of those for breakfast. breakfast seriously is a big meal you shouldnt miss. id tell you all the reasons but im sure your already aware.

Back