Thoughts on Tire selection

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
well I have a set of Kumho 712's on my car and I like them they seem to perform fine for me, but most people I speak with hate them with a passion and think they are completely crap.

so I was looking at Falken Tires
what are your thoughts on

Falken: ZIEX ZE-512 vs. Azenis Sport
Falken: ZIEX ZE-512 vs. Kumho 712's

I already know what poeple think about
Falken: Azenis Sport vs. Kumho 712's

so what are your thought's regarding the ZIEX tire
do you think it will be a better performer than the kumho ??

I've had Ziex on my CRX and have nothing positive to say about them.
They wore out fast, even on a car with relatively neutral camber.
They didn't grip worth a shit when roads were wet, and were very unpredictable compared to both Yoko AVS-i AND Falken Azenis! I would go as far as to say I felt more comfortable in wet weather (but not ice/snow) in Azenis than Ziex.
They have decent dry road grip, but nothing compared to either the AVS-i or the Azenis.

My 2 cents - take it for what its worth. I'm still sad the AVS intermediate is no longer around. :(

I have ZIEX's and am not really impressed. AZENIS are far superior as far as I know. My ziex's do OK for my sub par suspension setup at the moment, but I'd def go for the AZENIS over them.

Well you guys with the Azenis......how do those tires hold up in the rain?

I am not trying to be a thread jacker but I was wonder about the same comparisions.

azenis are fine in the rain. i drive as fast on the highway in either condition.

my only complaint with the azenis is that they seem to go out of round rather easily. i locked up the rear tires on one occasion and after i rotated my tires, i got a slight wobble in the steering wheel.

while i've never driven the Ziex's... they are lower in the line, even according to falken. the Azenis is their flagship tire.

I can't speak highly enough about them. Hands down, best tire i've used.

I used to have a set of the intermediates- great tire. but i still think the azenis out performs it.

rain... yeah, they aren't rain slicks. they are dry performance tires. but if you aren't a fucking moron, you will have no problem doing the speed limit on the highway in the rain on azenis.

712's... you know how i feel about those. POS's lol

had spec'2s on my volks.. average tire. nothing special.

also had pirelli pzero asymitriclas on the vokls... also a great tire, but 140 treadware had them dead in 2 months.

had prozes fz4's on my 17's. by far, the worst tire i've ever owned... even worse than my master craft snow tires. horrid. i cna't beleive yous ay they are good. they suck. horribly. Hell, I'd take 232132 sets of khumos over them. lol they're that bad.

out of round on the azenis? i never had that problem... neither did bill after i sold my wheels to him. they lasted a full season + of hard driving, autox'es, and so on, and sticky as hell.

i will be running a 225/50 BFG drag radial on the front this year... but my rears, are still going to be 205/50 azenis. until someone makes a better tire, they will always be on my car.

I like you review B.
but would you buy a set of Ziex and try them to see how they perfom compare to the kumho ?? or are you saying don't bother and save my pennies for the azenis ??

azenis are cheap dude. they are only 65 bucks a tire... the ziex are like 55... 10 bucks a tire sin't worth it to me...

I was not aware that azenis were only $65 a tire.

Azenis all the way. I will never buy a different summer tire for a honda than those.

Originally posted by Jeef@Jan 23 2004, 03:50 PM
Azenis all the way. I will never buy a different summer tire for a honda than those.

:werd:
i use them as all season tire, lol... doesn't rain too much in CA and they do ok in the rain. i love them for the track too, best grip of any street tire i've used thus far.

see when you live in CT you can't use them all year round. ask Jeef what happens in snow

In defense of teh 712 and 711... They're good intermediate tires. They're great in the rain, they're quiet, and behave wonderfully at the limit- they'll make a ton of noise before they break free, and when they do, they do so in a very linear fashion. This makes 'em VERY easy to drive at the limit. And they're cheap. However, they are definetly NOT a race- winning tire. But for someone that drives a lot and hits the curves on a whim once in a while, you can't beat 'em.

im pretty sure i have the zeix cant remember but in weather where theres a little ran around the ground i had them slipe on me going around a corner at like 70kmh, kinda scary but i think im going to go with azenis was thinking about some nittos not sure never ran anything then what i have

LOco can i be apart of your race team? lol
i have a rickety ride

I was reading the ratings on tirerack.com and the avs es 100 yoks are rated higher than the kuhmos. Anybody here use them?

yeah, AVS 100s are really nice, they are only i step below the AVS sports, which are about the ultimate NON-Rcompund street tire.

i havent ridden with azenis, but AVS 100's are far superior to 712s, but they are NOT a wet tire. at all. almost as bad as spec-2s

i still would take an azenis over a t1s. its half the cost, double the wear, and IMO, rides and holds better

Back