Throttle Bodies?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prankster

My friend approached me today with a question that I had no answer to, so I figured why not ask it on it.... What kind of throttle bodies will work with D16Y8 motor, and what kind of gains can you get from them... I'm kind of ignorant on this topic since I haven't worked with the new motors and really honda's in general since my last lude. I mean my answer was it could get him a few horses, and better responce, because it helped remove a little of a bottle neck point. But I wasnt sure so I figured I'd ask here... Ive hear the B18 is like 4mm more than the stock d16's. anything else thats bigger or that would help, or any suggestions on this? Hes working on setting his car up, I mean with limited funding, its not easy...LoL... right now its only got an intake, but hes looking to get the msd ignition and a header and possibly exhaust system. Any other recommendations on the TB issue or Any of that for the matter? Thanks Gary

a bigger throttle body won't do him any good nor the msd ignition. IMO get a header, exhaust, and a cam have some fun with it and then turbo it

well if he turbos it isnt the header a waste of money?

the only worthwhile mod on a SOHC is a turbo...they are so cheap that when you blow it, you can get another for practically nothing.

So not worth the few bucks in putting a bigger TB on at all? Because Ive heard that it helps some with other vehicles thats why I asked here...

Im an SOHC hater...it it doesnt have boost it doesnt belong in your car....its my partiality.

It might make a difference, but boost is better.

hahaha ya... def... i wanna get one my self, cuz ive heard that they produce decent figures when boosted so ... and i can see why your a sohc hater... u got the lude with dohc... which im a fan of my self but if i can get a cheap i can boost it my self... but i was asking cuz he thru that question at me and i was like uhhh how to answer this... any special tb that yall recommend for people like him since im sure hell ask me that too...lol...

he just wants ITBs...thosell make some definite gain (and they better for the price)

Got nothing...not sure if Jeff over at import builders still does port jobs, but never hurts to ask.

www.importbuilders.com

well ill mention that but im saying would a stock tb from a newer one work...with the lil additional space on it... the itb setup would be hot tho...

unless you are moving a significantly larger amount of air through the intake manifold such as with a turbo setup the throttle body isn't necesary and you won't get any noticable gains. I wouldn't spend money on upgrading the throttle body on a stock d16. I don't have any experience working on d series motors so I'm not sure which TB's will fit, I do know you can have your stock TB bored and that there are larger aftermarket ones that you can purchase

ya i know what ya mean.. ive heard the b18 i think it was with the 60 mm bore would be a mate up... hes thinking about boosting down the road tho... i know if i get one, im just gonna build it and boost it so... but does anyone know if the the b18 or something like the h22/h23 tb would fit?

a b16 TB will work, but i think you will need to have the IM port matched or go with the skunk2 manifold.. then again.. not worth it on a single cam unless you plan on going turbo..

Throttle body list:

http://www.thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5969

Most of the throttle bodies from other Hondas of the same OBD revision as yours will bolt right up. You need to port the intake manifold out to the new size to make it worth it though... and bigger TBs are generally something you upgrade to later to support other modifications that require the larger flow area and quicker response.

Back