throw out bearing fork question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89dxz6

Sorry if this is hard to understand. This stuff is new to me. Im Putting the tranny and motor back in my 89 hatch, i realized the throw out bearing fork (where the clutch cable attaches to if thats the wrong name) easily moves up and down with no restraint. I can pull it all the way up and it drops back down. I was wondering if there is a spring or clip that is missing and most likely causing this, or is this how it is suppose to be? I would like to figure out before i wire the motor back up, incase i have to pull it again.

Thanks!

since its out of the motor it should move freely. the spring pressure comes from the pressure plate and a spring that is on the pedal under the dash once its all hooked back up

since its out of the motor it should move freely. the spring pressure comes from the pressure plate and a spring that is on the pedal under the dash once its all hooked back up

The motor and tranny are back in the car, however the clutch cable is not attached. The fork moves freely up and down, with no slack. Would this mean the spring is either missing or not properly attached?

sorry misunderstand about the spring on the pedal, but still the same, should there be all this slack in the fork?

the slack your feeling is the gap between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate fingers. it's completely normal. when you install the clutch cable you will adjust it out.

Back