Throwout or clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Obsidian

My 89 Prelude has suddenly gotten hard to shift into gear. I've had to replace the flexible hydraluic line to the slave cylinder twice before so I assumed this was the culprit. Not so, the slave extends the full length and the reservoir is full. It operated fine yesterday evening then this morning it stopped cooperating again. I think its gotta be the throwout but maybe could be the clutch. I'm not sure a stuck clutch would act like this. It disengaged fully yesterday evening and would nearly fully disengage this morning - had it in gear with parking break on and idling but it was loading the engine slightly.

What do you guys think about diagnosis? How much is it gonna run me at a local mechanic - not necessarily the dealer?

you had it running in first gear with the e-brake on and it didnt stall out? Sounds like the to bearing, but I cant say for sure. Just take it to a honda certified mechanic if you arent comfortable doing it yourself. THey shouldnt chargemore than $250 to do this.

Quoted post[/post]]
you had it running in first gear with the e-brake on and it didnt stall out? Sounds like the to bearing, but I cant say for sure. Just take it to a honda certified mechanic if you arent comfortable doing it yourself. THey shouldnt chargemore than $250 to do this.

Let me clarify, had it in gear, clutch in, e-brake on, and idled fine, but more loaded than when it was in neutral.

I'm 90% sure its gonna be the throw out. Meanwhile, I'm am going to drive it around the neighborhood alot and see if it straightens out or gets worse (wasn't driven much this past year).

Wow, if you click preview, don't go back a page to hit add reply. You'll just have the original quote and loose everything you typed. Then, you have this silly post with just the quote. Then, you'll edit it again hastily and post it with a grammar problem. Then, you just give up if you're smart.

How many miles are on the clutch? A bad clutch can do the same thing.

225 k miles on a stock clutch is very hard to believe... almost impossible i would say

i would also guess that you;re in a cold climate

if you're in a cold climate let me give you a couple suggestions...

1, if you have trouble getting it into gear pump the clutch pedal and try again
cold + hydraulic fluid = slacking slave actuation...

and it could also have to do with your tranny fluid being thick as molasses because its so cold...
do you notice the problem goes away after the car warms up?

in the mornings i have to rev my truck over 2K to get power steering because of the cold, and i also have to pump my clutch sometimes, but only when the truck is cold...

225K miles on a clutch? Wow. Just do a clutch job, and drain the hydro lines and replace the tranny fluid. Clutch kit about $100 bucks depending on what one you buy.

Quoted post[/post]]
My 89 Prelude has suddenly gotten hard to shift into gear. I've had to replace the flexible hydraluic line to the slave cylinder twice before so I assumed this was the culprit. Not so, the slave extends the full length and the reservoir is full. It operated fine yesterday evening then this morning it stopped cooperating again. I think its gotta be the throwout but maybe could be the clutch. I'm not sure a stuck clutch would act like this. It disengaged fully yesterday evening and would nearly fully disengage this morning - had it in gear with parking break on and idling but it was loading the engine slightly.

What do you guys think about diagnosis? How much is it gonna run me at a local mechanic - not necessarily the dealer?
:) its probably gonna be the clutch .. had the same symtoms on a 91 prelude si . it was getting harder every day to shift into gear and trans actually started grinding .. put a new clutch in it and its perfect !! it runs about $100 to 300 for clutch depending on what u go with and labor on the side is about 150-200 at dealer 250 and up .....

Quoted post[/post]]
if you're in a cold climate let me give you a couple suggestions...

1, if you have trouble getting it into gear pump the clutch pedal and try again
cold + hydraulic fluid = slacking slave actuation...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is a great resource.

I Parked the car in early March when this first started. Picked up working on it again last week. So, yes, its been cold here.

Yes, it works much better in the afternoon, enough to drive around the neighborhood.

After more investigation & bleading the hydraulic line, I find I can't get enough pressure on the clutch, even after pumping it. Neighbor downstairs also thinks it feels soft. I tried adjusting the travel in the linkage but that doesn't help. So, I'm thinking it will be the master cylinder.

Is there a way for me to check the unit to see which (master or slave) is bad? I don't hear about slave going bad often.

P.S. I acquired the car at 130k miles and it could be the second clutch. I put the rest of the miles on it in Knoxville, TN. So, its cool weather there for about 6 months out of the year.

A good rule of thumb, is when you replace the master cylinder to replace the slave.

A good rule of thumb, is when you replace the master cylinder to replace the slave.

excellent rule to follow here

you can take the little boot off the slave and see if there is fluid in there, or see if you see a small puddle under the car but chances are its the master...

but i would make sure because they can be a bitch to change and if it works in the afternoon when its warm then it seems a bit fishy...

Back