Thunderbolt battery life issues...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90 accord

Chicks dig the box
VIP
I bought a Thunderbolt a few weeks ago, and i'm having some pretty ridiculous battery issues.. I was using a live wallpaper for a while and that was draining my battery ridiculously fast.. at least i attribute my battery drain to that, because when i changed it to a 'regular' wallpaper my battery life almost doubled..

Anyways, within the last couple days my battery has been dying in about 4 hours, with virtually no use. Literally, i turned it on once an hour to check the time... thats it..

I do use ATK every so ofen, but i was reading in another thread that using that kills the battery, but i dont understand why.. Anyways, every time i open ATK up, there's the same programs running, that i dont ever use.."City ID", "Mobile IM" and a few others.. Google maps starts by itself, so does facebook, pandora, skype and a few others.. why i shouldnt use ATK? is it these apps restarting after i kill them what kills the battery? City ID and moble im dont have an option to stop restarting every time i kill them, nor do they appear in my uninstaller list.. anyone familiar with these apps and know how to get rid of them, or atleast keep them from restarting all the time? once they (all the apps that restart) are running, are they using any battery life?

Help!

ATK only kills the battery with "auto-kill" turned on; because the OS would turn programs on and ATK would turn them off, going back and forth.

As far as the battery life, between different models it was various different things so I suggest checking out the Android forums.

there is also an app that will turn off the 4g radio when you are not in a 4g coverage area
constantly searching service will kill your battery pretty fast

4hrs seems a bit excessive
might be a bad battery

I used to carry a spare battery with my Evo for this reason. It seems to be just something youll have to deal with.

fuck that
i would throw my phone in the garbage if it went dead in 4 hours
fucking worthless to me

i don't even know what a thunderbolt is, but i'll throw out some shit that may help you assuming its an android phone

turn off GPS, and turn off wifi
those 2 things will tax your battery, but its not killing your battery in 4 hours unless you just leave navigation running or something that keeps the display on, and keeps hitting the gps

Turn off all the radios you are not using. Kill any widgets your using for the time being and add them back one by one. Set your screen brightness to a lower setting. Have you checked out androidcentral.com? They have a good bit of information and tips there.

big-hammer.jpg

4-6hrs is terrible; that only happened to my Incredible when I had updated to 2.2, but that problem is long gone. I easily get +15hrs with moderate-heavy use(texting, web/FB, and Angry Birds), though using a Evo battery. With light use I'm easily over 24hrs.

Maybe check out juice defender too. I havnt had any battery problems on my Evo Shift but I have it installed anyway. I'm at 19 hours uptime 2 hours use roughly. But then again I don't have a huge ass screen either.

Im a bit confused with it. The past few days, with absolutely no changes in usage, its lasting all day. i unplugged it at 520 this morning, and its still at 38% charge now, at 9 pm.. not quite sure what thats all about..

gps/bluetooth/wi-fi/mobile hotspot are all off unless i'm currently using them.

Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate all of your tips! (accept turbomirage, smash your apple crap)

Sounds like some app is constantly using the internet? Maybe it's Amazon; I know when 2.2 was release, Amazon was one of the culprits of poor battery life.

Sounds like some app is constantly using the internet? Maybe it's Amazon; I know when 2.2 was release, Amazon was one of the culprits of poor battery life.

I dont see amazon installed in my apps list, so thats not the culprit..

Phone did it again today.. It was dead by 11 am, after being on the charger all night.. Cell standby and something like phone idle were the two biggest culprits.. after i un plugged it at about 4 and going home, this phone idle isnt even showing up, and my battery has barely taken a hit.. i need to find out what this phone idle nonsense is, and put a stop to it.

How is your cell signal at work? If you have a weaker signal that may be part of the problem too.

so, i think i finally figured it out... I deleted winamp, and magically, my battery life quadrupled.. i pulled it off the charger at 5 am today and i still have 50% life left at 10 pm.. its hell, i even put up a live wallpaper and its all good..

Back