Tick Tick Tick sound!??!!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Searching around here definitely pays off. Wow! YB, Blanco, by answering Harms question you two answered a deep ponderance of mine. I have the same issue on my D16Z6 from 2,000 to 3,000 rpm's. It sounds like someone rolling their R's in my engine bay...or the way Harms described it is probably better. haha Kind of sucks becauuse I JUST swapped this engine in. Let me ask you guys, I most likely will be swapping my Z6 out soon with a B18B until I can get the B18C that I really want, so should I not worry about replacing my LMA's or would it be a good idea either way? In case it matters I have a K&N intake, headers and 2 1/4 exhaust. It's been tempting not to do more to this but I really want to wait until I get exactly what I want, then go crazy on it. :D

lol yeah i'm waiting for some better reasons to tear open my head and pull the cams. maybe get a cheap set of ITR cams or something. but i've ran it for like 4 months like this. it's up to you how long you want to run it. i got a feeling the worst scenario, vtec would act really funky on the cylinders whose lobes and rockers got damaged.

lol yeah i'm waiting for some better reasons to tear open my head and pull the cams. maybe get a cheap set of ITR cams or something. but i've ran it for like 4 months like this. it's up to you how long you want to run it. i got a feeling the worst scenario, vtec would act really funky on the cylinders whose lobes and rockers got damaged.

In my case, my VTEC isn't even activated yet. *bows head in shame* I ordered a chipped, P28 and it hasn't arrived yet, so I'm running it on the stock, LX ECU as of now. Let me ask you this, if you had the choice of upgrading to a full B18B swap for $400 in the meantime until you had the chance to get what you really wanted...you know, doing it just to have something even more fun to play around with...would you do it?

P.S. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, by the way. :D

In my case, my VTEC isn't even activated yet. *bows head in shame* I ordered a chipped, P28 and it hasn't arrived yet, so I'm running it on the stock, LX ECU as of now. Let me ask you this, if you had the choice of upgrading to a full B18B swap for $400 in the meantime until you had the chance to get what you really wanted...you know, doing it just to have something even more fun to play around with...would you do it?

P.S. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, by the way. :D

This is alllll about personal preferance. I look at it like this.

My friend just got a 95 EG hatch, and the motor was just about toast. a week later, head gasket was leaking and NAPA competely fucked it up and warped the head. he had other beater cars to drive in the mean time, so no real biggie. it was between waiting a month and getting a GSR B18 swap, or getting a D15B right away. He went with the D15B, and he's still planning on swapping that agin for the GSR B18. Now, it's been 4 months since he did the D15B swap, and he could have had his B18 in there now. He's mildly happy with the D15B, tho it's slow. Now he's between putting the B18 in or boosting the stock D15B. I have my own thoughts on the subject, but you can see where compromises get you.

I myself, would rather save the money and get what I really want. I got the swap I really wanted, but it was easy to do that. Now I'm working on getting the parts I really want to put on it. I could have got a lightweight flywheel for cheap, but I waited the extra couple weeks because I really wanted the Toda lightweight one. And you know what, having what you really want feels so much better than buyer's remorse...

This is alllll about personal preferance. I look at it like this.

My friend just got a 95 EG hatch, and the motor was just about toast. a week later, head gasket was leaking and NAPA competely fucked it up and warped the head. he had other beater cars to drive in the mean time, so no real biggie. it was between waiting a month and getting a GSR B18 swap, or getting a D15B right away. He went with the D15B, and he's still planning on swapping that agin for the GSR B18. Now, it's been 4 months since he did the D15B swap, and he could have had his B18 in there now. He's mildly happy with the D15B, tho it's slow. Now he's between putting the B18 in or boosting the stock D15B. I have my own thoughts on the subject, but you can see where compromises get you.

I myself, would rather save the money and get what I really want. I got the swap I really wanted, but it was easy to do that. Now I'm working on getting the parts I really want to put on it. I could have got a lightweight flywheel for cheap, but I waited the extra couple weeks because I really wanted the Toda lightweight one. And you know what, having what you really want feels so much better than buyer's remorse...

o yeah but if your ballin' anyway, fuckit! :D

o yeah but if your ballin' anyway, fuckit! :D

haha! Don't we all wish we were ballin'. I'm still contemplating the swap for the meantime but still keep on thinking exactly about what you said....the fact that I should probably wait and get what I want. Four hundred bucks is four hundred bucks after all that I could save towards the other engine. The freakin' TICK TICK TICK sound is getting to me though. It sounds like I have a Yeti...no wait, it sounds like I have Chewbacca under my hood and he's really pissed between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm's. Then again, patience is something I do have a lot about. I just want a B18C soooooo much instead, you know? A B18B would give me more torque and a few more ponies for the time being. I'm not sure if that right there justifies $400 though.

haha! Don't we all wish we were ballin'. I'm still contemplating the swap for the meantime but still keep on thinking exactly about what you said....the fact that I should probably wait and get what I want. Four hundred bucks is four hundred bucks after all that I could save towards the other engine. The freakin' TICK TICK TICK sound is getting to me though. It sounds like I have a Yeti...no wait, it sounds like I have Chewbacca under my hood and he's really pissed between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm's. Then again, patience is something I do have a lot about. I just want a B18C soooooo much instead, you know? A B18B would give me more torque and a few more ponies for the time being. I'm not sure if that right there justifies $400 though.

niice you described it as chewbacca or a yeti. my friend said i had a badger under my hood. lol

it's always a pain getting stuck between a hard place and a rock, that's why it's best to have a beater when doin this. not only saving for what you want, but then you can be paitient to find a diamond in the rough and really get the most for your money.

Last edited:
niice you described it as chewbacca or a yeti. my friend said i had a badger under my hood. lol

it's always a pain getting stuck between a hard place and a rock, that's why it's best to have a beater when doin this. not only saving for what you want, but then you can be paitient to find a diamond in the rough and really get the most for your money.

I couldn't agree with you more. If money allowed, I would have a beater while working on my car. It doesn't, so patience is just going to be a huge virtue which I must follow. Damn temptation. I'll tell you what, if it does end up that I have to get my LMA's replaced, then I'll just swap out to the B18B and store this engine. LMA's, as you and Blanco pointed out, would probably be around $300. The swap would cost me $400 so it wouldn't make sense to me not to do it then. What's your take on that?

Thanks for this thread. Working on one for a customer/friend. Knew it was around there I was haring it. But after perfect compression checks. Retorquing of the cam bridge and a few minor troubleshooting details. I was stumped. I'm not a honda guy though, so I was stuck. Your thread confirmed what I thought. But I just wasn't sure. Thanks guys.

Back