Ticket Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
first, i live in nj. ok my best friend recently got a new car. however his old car broke down in a parking lot and due to a lack of money to fix it he left it there until he could. he also took of the plates to transfer the registration and everything to the new car. well he got tickets for aboandoned vehicle, no plates, etc. for whatever reason, he missed the court date and now believes there is a warrant out for him and that he might go to jail. i told him that its only a bench warrant, and the biggest problem he may have is a bigger fine since everything he did was not really criminal. i think thats what is happening but could someone please help me clarify.

A bench warrant is a warrant issued by a presiding judge or court, but is the same thing as a normal warrant, which gives the authority to arrest, search and/or sieze in the adminisration of justice for a crime.

his licensce was prob suspended for not showing up in court...
and if he gets pulled over thats unlicensed operation, plus he will prob get arrested and taken in on the spot...

he should def get it taken care of...

and god forbid he gets in an accident with his new car and his insurance company decides he's not covered since his lic was suspended...

tell him to go there asap to get it taken care of...

sounds like they wont actively pursue him, but if hes pulled over he will be taken in.

as far as suspended license, im sure it would happen with failure to show for some sort of traffic violation, but for vehicle abondonment? it may be an issue, but it wouldnt make sense to me, of course half the shit our government does doesnt make sense.

he definatly needs to get on the ball though :p
imo getting your old ass broke down car towed out of a public parking lot > getting a new car
cost to get it towed is prolly less then half his new car payment for 1 month

just get him to go to the magistrates office and see if there is a warrant for him. if there is, just have him turn himself, have him explain to the magistrate what happened and he SHOULD be released on his recognisance (sp?). he will also get a new court date from the magistrate.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 30 2004, 11:41 AM
and god forbid he gets in an accident with his new car and his insurance company decides he's not covered since his lic was suspended...
[post=439142]Quoted post[/post]​

insurance companies do not/can not disclaim coverage for this reason. If we could, we also disclaim coverage for DUI, racing, excessive speed, hit-n-run, stupidity, etc (actually, stupidity covers the etc)...

A bench warrant is harmless unless you get pulled over or otherwise come to the attention of the popo. Depending on the reason for the warrant and the mood of the arresting officer, you could get booked and released after satisfying the requirements of the original charge. Now, if you are arrested on Friday afternoon, that's a possible 2 day stay in the pokie waiting for the judge to come in and grant you leave. trust me, 3 squares & a cot in a rural county lock-up ain't fun; especially when its for not paying a traffic ticket. it happened to a friend of mine...yeah, a friend of mine... :ph34r:

i was told in court my insurance could be canceled for a racing on the highway ticket, may be only florida law or something i dunno.

florida is gay as shit though. if i cancel my insurance the dmv is automatically notified and my license suspended until i provide proof of renewed insurance.

1 of my cars is still unregistered and tagged after owning it for over a year just because i dont want to pay insurance on a parked project car.

Originally posted by micah@Dec 30 2004, 08:18 PM
i was told in court my insurance could be canceled for a racing on the highway ticket, may be only florida law or something i dunno.
[post=439327]Quoted post[/post]​

"cancelled" and "disclaimed coverage" are not the same.

"cancelled" means that at your renewal date your insurance carrier tells you to "fuck off!!"

"Cause cancel" means the company doesn't wait for the renewal date and tells you to "fuck off!" as soon as possible. In FL that's 46 days from the date of the letter you recieve telling to you "Fuck off!!" You get "cancelled for cause" for different reasons. Your policy contract tells you what they are. Getting your license suspended is the #1 reason you'll get cause cancelled. let's see.... that covers 1) DUI 2) racing 3) hit-n-run 4) excessive speed 5) not paying child support 6) not paying a bounced check 7) use your imagination

"Disclaimed coverage" means that your policy was in effect when the loss took place and that you will continue to be insured as long as you follow the policy conditions but the loss itself is not a covered loss.

For example, you're pissed off at your girlfriend because she nailed your best friend. You see her nice new car in the driveway of your best friend's house when you go over to kick the living shit out of him and ram her car with your's. That's an "intentional tort" and not covered by your policy. It doesn't mean that your insurance has been cancelled or that it will be. However, the police and your girlfriend's carrier are going to want to spend some quality time with you.

Originally posted by micah@Dec 30 2004, 08:18 PM

florida is gay as shit though. if i cancel my insurance the dmv is automatically notified and my license suspended until i provide proof of renewed insurance.

1 of my cars is still unregistered and tagged after owning it for over a year just because i dont want to pay insurance on a parked project car.
[post=439327]Quoted post[/post]​

thats some messed up shit. my aunt was in florida last summer and the car was totaled by a drunk driver with no insurance and my aunt almost died. the guy got in trouble for the dui, but as far as i know he got in no trouble for the lack of insurance.

i fucking hate people who drive with no insurance
the fuck who rearended me a couple months ago claimed to have insurance but when i filed the claim the insurance company said he was excluded from the policy. Then my friends GTI got hit 2 weeks ago; he had the cops come, took them 3 hours to get there , then the guy gave the cop an expired proof of insurance and the cop didnt know. 8k worth of damage to his car

Originally posted by FFCiv@Dec 31 2004, 01:43 PM
i fucking hate people who drive with no insurance
the fuck who rearended me a couple months ago claimed to have insurance but when i filed the claim the insurance company said he was excluded from the policy. Then my friends GTI got hit 2 weeks ago; he had the cops come, took them 3 hours to get there , then the guy gave the cop an expired proof of insurance and the cop didnt know. 8k worth of damage to his car
[post=439605]Quoted post[/post]​

same exact thing happened to my mom. on a four lane road a chick turned from the center lane, and happen to not see my moms grand marquis. thats a big ass car so i dont know how she didnt see it but anyway, old insurance card and whatever. last my parents told me that they were bringing her to court. lady called and complained to my dad she didnt have the cash to pay but he basically said screw it, im going for the throat and not getting screwed.

Back