1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ticking vtec

Discussion in 'Integra' started by whinybitch, Feb 28, 2009.

1. whinybitch

whinybitch .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. drbelanger73

drbelanger73 Beer is good for you.

Hard to tell without sticking my head under the hood and hearing it for myself. Be absolutely certain where the sound is coming from. You may think it is in one spot or being caused by X when it is something completely unrelated.

If it doesn't bother performance just turn up the stereo...

3. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

Bad LMA's (Lost Motion Assemblies)

4. Justin66

Justin66 The Hondaswap Canadian

Yup, once VTEC engages the LMA's are no longer being used. Ive had this question answered before, it wont hurt performance but if it gets worse or stays like that too long ive been told it can make dents in the rockers. You are gonna have to take the cams out and just underneath them are the LMA's (look like little plungers), cleaning them out throughly and lubing them up usually fixes them, but sometimes they will have to be replaced. Not a complicated thing to do really.

5. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

Any idea if you have to remove the head to replace them? How are they retained? Bolted in or press fit?

6. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Don't all Honda DOHC inline 4 motors click loud? my old B16 did and Linhs new Civic SI does.

7. Justin66

Pretty well all engines click, more so if they have vtec, just a normal sound. If the ticks are overlapping or out of rhythm with the others then its the LMA's or you need a valve adjustment. I have a click, mostly only when cold and not all the time, kinda sounds funny since it sounds likes a bunch of different light clicks all trying to go at once. Im thinkin i need an adjustment.

My knowledge of them are, they are simply just pressed in. You do not have to remove the head, just the camshafts. If you buy a haynes/chilton manual for any of the DOHC VTEC vehicles (Civic Si/Integra) and it shows you how to take them out. But you should already have one for the chassis you have and one for the car the engine came from.

8. MthaFuknGreen

MthaFuknGreen Green on the scene.

maybe its about to blow up?

9. ntenc1

ntenc1 New Member

It was fairly simple. It took me about 2 hours to do on my buddy's B16. You have to remove the cams, remove the rocker shaft bolts, remove the rocker shafts and rocker arms, remove the PS mount and jack the motor up in order to fully remove the rocker arms and then pull the LMA's out with your fingers.

You gotta remember too. Valve clearance check that as well. Could just be some valve slap.

Also are you sure it goes away in vtec? Maybe the noise is still there. It would be hard to hear with all the motor noise from the high rpm's.

10. drbelanger73

drbelanger73 Beer is good for you.

I can't suggest any more strongly: simply owning the factory service manual for your vehical helps in every sitiation. I was humbled by some of the things that I read in this thread; yet I feel I must re-iterate what I have said in the past.

Buy the manual.

Then again, I'm an ET so that is my stance on all things; radars, radios, hondas...

find me one for women and I will rule the world...

11. OBD0SiR

OBD0SiR New Member

i had the same problem a few months ago in my B16. the ticking is not consistent and get progressively louder until you hit vtec then goes away. it was the LMA's in my car. if you are sure the sound goes away then it is most likely not a valve clearance issue because you would continue to hear the sound. we replaced mine with newer prelude ones and they seem to be a lot quieter than my other B16a2 is. Liek ntenc1 said, they are not hard to replace just takes about $150 and a few hours. it is definately worth it to get rid of the sound.

12. Justin66

They only showed up on mine when i was running 5w40, i used to run 5w20 for winter and it never ticked with such a light oil, sounds like the LMA's for me too.

13. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

[​IMG]

but as everyone else said, valve lash adjustment and LMA.

14. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

ROFL nice pic

15. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

All the DOHC VTECs tick a little. How bad is it? It could be LMAs.

16. MthaFuknGreen

valve jobs prevent heart disease.

17. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

my cuzin just got four stents in his heart.

18. MthaFuknGreen

i just dropped a triple bypass valve in my 2 and 3 cylinders.
    its takes the blow by and compresses it and puts it back in the combustion chamber.
    :]

19. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

most likely its the clutch adjustment. Most cable clutches can easily be adjusted, just takes some patience the adjustment is located on the front of the transmission. Hydraulic, that's something else I never really had to do much of.

20. Z6CRX

Z6CRX übber ɐɾuıu etarip

the cap will turn easily for the most part, take a closer look at it and make sure its not due to damage to stripping of threads though.

It's best to have a friend sit int he car as you loosen or tighten it up. or have the friend tighten/loosen it as you check the adjustment in the car.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted