Tien Basic vs. Tanabe Sustec Pro's

either one better?

• Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Type 2&#3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
I know they're both "entry" level suspensions, but anyone have any feelings on the two?

I'm leaning towards the Tanabe setup based on what I've heard about the Teins riding like ass, but any input would be appreciated

Side note - I live in a pothole ridden city thats basicly a series of hills

Also, they're going on my Eclipse...

well if you dont need adjustability and arent looking for track suspension then I would say sustec will be fine for you.

I own that set for my civic and the ride is comfortable when the car is at a normal lowered height not like -5 inches.

Personally I'd go with option c) Tokico D specs or Koni inserts and gc coilovers.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the tanabe.

The only allure of the teins are if they have edfc, which the basic obviously doesn't have.

edfc is bullshit lazy people shit and tanabe offers that now anyway.

koni's with gc's is well beyond the price of what we are talking about here.

Quoted post[/post]]
edfc is bullshit lazy people shit and tanabe offers that now anyway.

koni's with gc's is well beyond the price of what we are talking about here.

Konis and gc's aren't well beyond the price.

GC coilovers = $175
Koni strut inserts = $525 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-YELLOW-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Total Cost = $700

Tein Basic Coilovers overs = ~$700 + shipping.

What was that whole, "well beyond the price" thing you were talking about? Seriously, no need to get all jumpy when you're not positive.

The konis + gc are the same price with better rates and dampening for a daily driver and weekend track warrior.

Yes, other companies are getting into the eletronic controls like EDFC, but I was simply saying thats the only thing tein has going for it.

Tein is an overhyped, overpriced brand. There's so many more options out there now that are better. I would get Megan Racing coilovers, anyday over teins - Megans are H&R coilovers rebadged.

The point of the edfc being the allure of the teins is that you don't have to get out and manually adjust everything and test everything. Its not always easy to adjust the coilovers, its not always warm out, the bolts aren't always easy to turn, and many times the adjustability bolts on a coilover strip or have problems. So yeah, edfc makes the world so much easier but is an expensive option.

Simmer down now.

Ground control coilovers arent 175 lol.

Not positive you fucking idiot, try doing some research outside of ebay.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...php/II=52/CA=26
399 for his application, lets say you can lowball and find them for $350 plus shipping so $380
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptab...Clar=&brand=all
konis $147 a piece $588 plus shipping but since you think konis are available on ebay for every car I will say $580 shipped. So now we are at $580 plus $380 = $960

I payed $675 shipped for my tanabes

Would you like to try me again?

Quoted post[/post]]
Ground control coilovers arent 175 lol.

Not positive you fucking idiot, try doing some research outside of ebay.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...php/II=52/CA=26
399 for his application, lets say you can lowball and find them for $350 plus shipping so $380
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptab...Clar=&brand=all
konis $147 a piece $588 plus shipping but since you think konis are available on ebay for every car I will say $580 shipped. So now we are at $580 plus $380 = $960

I payed $675 shipped for my tanabes

Would you like to try me again?

I didn't see the bottom line where he wrote they'd be for an eclipse. I thought he was talking about a civic, when I quoted the prices, regardless koni inserts + springs will be about equal to the price of a low end coilover kit for any car - they're priced that way for a reason.

Koni reds are $375 for the eclipse.
Koni yellows are $575 for the eclipse.

If he went the cheap route and got reds and gc coilovers, thats $775. Tein basics are ~$700. Thats $75 more than the basics, which ARE in his price range.

Quit your little bitch ass tone, okay?

The Tokico D specs don't appear to be available for his year eclipse, but they would have been a great alternative just like the konis.

Any good spring + strut combo will be able to perform as well or better than the basic coilovers.

Since mr. pissy pants is complaining about prices, you can get KYB AGX for $290 shipped and GC coilovers for ~$400 shipped. Now you're within a $10 range of the coilovers.

You were proven wrong yet you still try to talk shit? I dont get it. I still dont know where you are getting these magical prices, I gave you links to actual prices. The civic coilover and shocks are going cost more if you went with konis but you should already know that right? probably not, they require a special ring to fit on the koni sleeve. So if he did have a civic he would be looking at around $1000 for konis not to mention if he included top hats and custom rates like most people do when they go that route. Konis arent for someone thats looking for a daily driver like myself or hosmer so why even bring it up, they werent in his list or were you d spec crap whatever.

Quoted post[/post]]
You were proven wrong yet you still try to talk shit? I dont get it. I still dont know where you are getting these magical prices, I gave you links to actual prices. The civic coilover and shocks are going cost more if you went with konis but you should already know that right? probably not, they require a special ring to fit on the koni sleeve. So if he did have a civic he would be looking at around $1000 for konis not to mention if he included top hats and custom rates like most people do when they go that route. Konis arent for someone thats looking for a daily driver like myself or hosmer so why even bring it up, they werent in his list or were you d spec crap whatever.

Seriously, shut your friggin mouth.

"Your d spec crap whatever". You sure are a suspension guru, right? You know all about Tokico D specs and their 16-way dampening, plus the fact that they have a build quality thats as good as the konis for a lot less. Unfortunately, they don't have the struts for his application...yet.

Konis are more for a daily driver than any retarded coilover combination you can come up with. There is better dampening which will help soak up the bumps on an everyday road. So actually, you're off your rocker - and the konis are going to be one of the best possible daily driver setup you're going to ever find. Coilovers are usually adjusted too low, so they don't get the optimal performance that they're supposed to, causing less suspension travel and hell for a daily driver not to mention really rough spring rates.

Look at high end cars, are they riding on really good struts or coilovers - they're on struts, because coilovers wouldn't be as practical for a daily driver.

My prices are from a google search and an ebay search. If you're that much of a retard and you can't pull prices yourself - screw you, I don't need to do all the leg work for you.

I never mentioned upgraded tophats, camber bolts, camber plates, custom spring rates, or anything else fancy like that - so don't put words in my mouth.

Basically, you went with tanabes for a daily driver?? If thats the case, you're out of your league.

I know Hosmer is more than capable of making a decision himself and researching prices, but I'll post up the prices that I found in two seconds of searching.

KYB AGX struts - $290 shipped to your door
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-AGX-Sho...1QQcmdZViewItem

Koni reds - $375 + shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KONI-Mitsub...1QQcmdZViewItem

Koni yellows - $575 + shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KONI-Mitsub...1QQcmdZViewItem

GC coilovers - $380 shipped to your door
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GROUND-CONT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats just ebay. There may be better prices elsewhere, but thats what I could find after doing a handful of quick searches. All the prices listed are from power sellers that have excellent ratings. I've never had a problem, and have always done well from the vendors on ebay. There's a TMIC sitting behind me right now, and a koyo racing radiator on my car along with a shitload of misc. little parts that came from ebay and were a great price for legit products.

Here's a used item, that would be good for a daily driver. Its an Eibach pro spring kit - I have one for my WRX and like it a lot. It has progressive spring rates so the bottom of the spring isn't incredibley hard or harsh, but the more you push them the better they perform. They have a nice drop from a performance standpoint.

Eibach pro spring kit - used. ~$200 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Found a better deal, power seller with brand new eibachs for cheap - $215 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EIBACH-Pro-...1QQcmdZViewItem

So yeah, thats that. You know my opinion, get a quality spring and strut combination and you'll be happier for a daily driver than the coilovers. Depending on what struts you go with, you also won't have to worry about rebuilds like you would with coilovers. I've read many, many good articles that point weekend enthuisiasts to springs + struts over coilovers, so pick your poison.

Tanabes if you have to.

eibach makes good springs. GC = eibach. The ONLY thing gc has going for it over a well made lowering/sport spring set is the fact you can go to GC and order custom springrates. That's why most people who race on the weekend reccomend them - you get exactly what you are looking for. Most coilover companies will not even give you the availability for custom anything. I voted tanabe, because I have heard nothing but good things about their products, whereas I've heard a ton of bad press for tein.

not going to be too much of a help here im sure... but i have the sustec pro SS on my sol and i absolutely love them... FAR better than any of the tien setups ive experienced... so based upon that i vote the tanabes

thanks for the input guys

didn't think this would get so heated :)

I'd get something with adjustable dampening for a daily driver, whether that be coilovers or a shock/spring combo. You'll praise yourself for it later, trust me.

In terms of what brand to go for, there are tons out there, and everyone has their own opinions, either based on actual experience, or just following the hype. For example, I'm a 2 time TEIN owner and I think people who bash them are fucking rediculous. I had NO problems whatsoever at any time with the ride quality, customer support, or the product itself with TEIN. The TEIN's have been a class act since day one. But I'm sure some guy, or someones friend who owned a shop said they suck. Whatever though .... to each his own.

If you end up with TEIN, Tanabe, Koni, Eibach, ect ... you'll be happy. They all make a good product.

Im not even going to bother with new2car, I own tanabe sustecs and so does esolsi who was one of the people that helped me make my choice but I guess we are out of some league. My tanabes handled quite well on the track as well as autoxing, I have them set at a comfortable ride height for the street. At under $700 shipped for the set I have I couldnt be happier, if I wanted something with better performance I would have went with Konis and GC for almost 1k. I have owned Skunk 2 coilovers with kyb's which sucked, kybs with neuspeed race which was better than the skunk setup, tokico adjustables and neuspeed not impressed and finally the set of tanabes I have now which I love for the cost and daily driving. It all depends on your budget hosmer, suspension topics normally do get heated because everyone has an opinion or different setups than the next guy. I have been in koni/gc cars and I cant say I enjoyed the ride, thats why I saved some cash and went my way.

Quoted post[/post]]
Im not even going to bother with new2car, I own tanabe sustecs and so does esolsi who was one of the people that helped me make my choice but I guess we are out of some league. My tanabes handled quite well on the track as well as autoxing, I have them set at a comfortable ride height for the street. At under $700 shipped for the set I have I couldnt be happier, if I wanted something with better performance I would have went with Konis and GC for almost 1k. I have owned Skunk 2 coilovers with kyb's which sucked, kybs with neuspeed race which was better than the skunk setup, tokico adjustables and neuspeed not impressed and finally the set of tanabes I have now which I love for the cost and daily driving. It all depends on your budget hosmer, suspension topics normally do get heated because everyone has an opinion or different setups than the next guy. I have been in koni/gc cars and I cant say I enjoyed the ride, thats why I saved some cash and went my way.

Its all about the car and spring rate/dampening the suspension has thats going to make or break the ride.

I asked if you bought coilovers for a daily driver and said if you did then you were out of your league. Obviously if you track the car in road course and auto-x then its sensible to get coilovers if you really feel that you want that level of competitiveness and will stand the harsh rates for a daily driver.

Personally, if I wasn't all about racing and the car was a daily driver I'd get something more adjustable and forgiving like one of the setups I mentioned.

If your KYB's weren't AGX's its no suprise that they weren't impressive, same is to be said with the Tokico Illuminas. Even you weren't impressed with the AGX's, perhaps it wasn't a good spring rate/dampening combination you had with your setup and this caused your distaste because many, many people like this setup and thats why the AGX's are so popular especially on weekend warrior cars.

Coilovers have just become so cheap that every boy ricer thinks that they need coilovers, to go 2fast2furious on the streets with so they're becoming more and more popular now, even if the performance gains or functionality aren't as good as other setups.

I had my heart set on coilovers, until i found out that they really weren't the best option for a daily driver.

i will say that if you are not planning to properly tune the coilovers (corner balancing) than yes they are somewhat of a waste of money and you would be better off with a spring shock setup

the major plus to a coilover setup is to have the ability to corner balance

Quoted post[/post]]
i will say that if you are not planning to properly tune the coilovers (corner balancing) than yes they are somewhat of a waste of money and you would be better off with a spring shock setup

^^ Good point.

If you're not going to get an alignment to compliment the suspension, its pointless to put an upgraded suspension on the car.

Coilovers do have benefits and downfalls, just like everything else in life.

Springs and struts won't be able to accomplish the same alignment as coilovers but camber plates, aftermarket top hats and camber bolts will certainly help.

Quoted post[/post]]

I hear what you're saying, but saying that coilover's are a "waste" if you don't corner balance is not really true. Corner balancing would be beneficial to a competetive vehicle who is looking to shave a few milliseconds off their lap time, only after doing everything else first. Corner balancing coilovers on a street vehicle will net no noticable effect to the driver whatsoever. Simply installing the suspension and having your alignment put back within stock spec will be all that's necessary.

There are other practical uses for coilovers in a street car, as I found out when I installed my TEIN SS's in my hatch. For instance, when I have passengers in the back seat, or heavy cargo in the trunk, I'd pop the hatch and crank up the dampeneing in the rear to accomodate. It kept the car from sagging in the back and balanced the ride. Hosmer, you might want to consider things like this when you decide.

Just my 0.2

Back