Time for a NEW car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I gots a camera, bring it by, i'll snap some pics. Congrats on the car!

A Phaeton is a body style, similar to a sedan or convertible sedan, where the rear seat area is extended for added leg room or for an additional row of seating. This gives the vehicle the appearance that it is meant to be chaffuer-operated. This body type was popular up to the early years of World War II.
Though most were of the extended passenger seat area (1925 Studebaker Phaeton, 1941 Buick Roadmaster 4-door Phaeton) or additional row seating variety, others had custom body types. Some models had a driver's row with no roof with a passengers' row with a fixed roof (1930 Duesenberg J Murphy Town Car). While other models had their driver's and passengers' rows separated by a cowl and sometimes a folding windshield (1931 Cadillac V-16 dual cowl Phaeton).
During the late 1930s, Cord built 2-door convertible sedans with "Phaeton" included in the name (1937 Cord 810 Phaeton). However, this may have been a marketing embellishment and not an indication to the type of body.
Modern phaetons lack the second row cowl or the cabin dividing wall. Though most manufacturers do not really use the word Phaeton when marketing these vehicles, the sedan-like body with extended rear seat area continues in model line-ups of many luxury marques (Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas, Maybach 57 and 62).

Basically all I meant was that it's not what I consider a 'true' phaeton.. I'm used to the older ones.

Basically all I meant was that it's not what I consider a 'true' phaeton.. I'm used to the older ones.
I figured they just snatched the name from Greek mythology.
TMYK.jpg

Congrats on the Fit BTW :thumbsup:

paddle shifters FTW. I already had a 'suped up' prelude rev on me... do people think i actually have an MT? If so, my job is done.

I'm thinking about maybe getting a Phaeton later on this year because they didn't sell well, and thus, depreciated heavily.
They didn't sell well because of thier price range. When they came out, I saw one at the local dealer priced at 68k... for 68k you can get a BMW and such. People are all hyped on the name, they'll spend 68k on an Audi but not on a VW :rolleyes: Just like people spend a lot of money on Lexus but if they badged it with a toyota emblem, no one would buy it.

Back