Time for a New Helmet

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
So now that I've got a bike again I guess its time to update my gear.
I currently have a couple off brand full face helmets that I bought a long time ago when I didn't have much money. I'd like to get something new that will better protect my head in case of an accident. My local shop doesn't have any big brand name helmets because "we can't sell them and end up having to sell them below cost just to move them."
Looking for brand name choices and models, and also wondering if there is a good website to order the helmet from?
Also looking for some new gloves. The last pair I have are Joe Rockets and they are years old and pretty shot. Probably will not be going with gauntlet style gloves, not really looking to do any extreme type of riding, just commuting.
Any advice for either subject is greatly appreciated.

Another note on the helmet. I had borrowed one that had a slide down tinted visor, that went back up into the helmet with the push of a button. That was a pretty neat feature that I wouldn't mind having. Budget on the helmet is probably going to be about $500. I'd like to stick around $100 on the gloves.

I forgot I also have a GMax flip front helmet that I bought for snowmobile use. I don't think it was very expensive so I'm not sure I want to trust my life to it, or if its even good for street use.

Try on as many as you can. Some fit different shapes than others. Glad you're looking to spend a good amount given how important a role your brain and head play. Once you figure out what fits you well find one that is easy to clean and looks nice to you.

Even though you said you don't like gauntlet gloves I'm still a big fan since they protect better than just a standard glove. If you shop around you should be able to find a quality pair for around $100.

he takes care of all the locals here. lots of nice, plain helmets for motorsports. i don't believe he has a website, but you can call him. i picked up my white SA2010 from him, in 2010 for like 160 bucks.

http://www.revzilla.com/ based out of Philly, I like them because they offer free shipping on orders over $39 and pretty much anything I order is next day due to location. They carry most gear and as with any major motorcycle online store, they offer free returns/exchanges on all gear. They also give you $5 Revzilla cash for every $100 you spend.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ I tend to buy my tires from them, as with other odd bits since they carry more than revzilla. They also offer free shipping but at the $89 price point and also returns/exchanges. They are based out of Oregon. They have a points system to redeem for money off future orders.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ based out of TX, they don't carry a lot of parts but they do stock most gear. They also have something called the customer's closet. Customers send them gear, they inspect the gear and grade it, then list it for sale as used and they back the product so you can return it if you don't like it or it doesnt fit. They give you different gift card amounts for most every item you buy.

most of them understand that people want to try stuff on and will allow you to place a massive order. Only catch is they normally don't offer free shipping when you do that since most all of it gets sent back. So if you're willing to pay for shipping both ways for some piece of mind, you could order 3-4-5-6 different helmets.

As for helmets, each make AND model is designed for different shaped heads, you might even need to customize your helmet to make it fit correctly. My current helmet is a Shoe-i RF1100 M with SM cheek inserts.

If you want to just take a gamble order a RF1100 they can be had for pretty cheap now, the new RF1200 model is replacing it so the 1100s are being pushed out at discounted prices to move them.

Probably will not be going with gauntlet style gloves, not really looking to do any extreme type of riding, just commuting.
I can't stand hearing stuff like that. What does extreme riding have to do with anything? It's like people who don't wear full gear because they are not planning on riding too fast, just normal riding. Next time you're going 50mph, look down at the pavement and think to yourself what would happen if you just happened to fall on it.

2 issues with short gloves with a single latch. 1st one is, when you hit the pavement your jacket will ride up your arm causing your forearms to lose skin, 2nd, depending on how lucky or unlucky you are, they will just rip off your hands leaving your hands to fend for themselves. This has NOTHING to do with EXTREME riding... It has everything to do with going down at a normal speed of anything over 15mph and getting fawked up.

A good jacket, good fitting helmet, and good gauntlet style glove that latches around my wrist AND around my jacket are a must. I could not ride without them.
I'd rather ride in shorts than to give up my gloves.

Today I rode my 919 to work.

Alpinestars web gore tex boots
Alpinestars Track leather pants
Alpinestars SP2 leather jacket + Alpinestar chest protection + Forcefield pro CE2 back protector
IICON full gauntlet gloves
Shoe-i RF1100 helmet
Air Jammer for the helmet (cuts down on wind noise)
and Ear plugs, I NEVER go without ear plugs.

This was riding my sport touring bike, not my super sport bike, just to work.

On your recommendation, i will reconsider the gauntlet style gloves.
Hoping to go for a ride this weekend to a shop about an hour away that sells both Shoei and Arai helmets, and see what sort of gear they have in stock.
I see revzilla has the SP2's on closeout for $100. If I can't make any progress through a local shop this weekend I will probably be ordering some things and return what doesn't fit.

So I ended up pulling the trigger last night on a few items from revzilla.
Bike is disabled for a week while I wait for a new fuel petcock to come in.
I went with the Shoei GT Air, with internal sun shield. Matte Black. I wear glasses so I have found that to be useful.
Head measures 22 inches so I went with that size, I think it was small, hopefully its a decent fit.
I also picked up the SP2 gloves you were talking about. I measured my hand and I think I'll be a medium, so I was able to get all black on clearance, which is the color I wanted anyway.
I was going to try a small cause I have short fingers but I'll see if the medium works out first since it was available in clearance.
I also went with the Alter Ego 2.0 pants from Joe Rocket. Does the textiles prevent road rash to an degree? I understand its not the same as leather but I hope it offers some protection.

Yup much better than jeans. Main issue is they tend to be a throw away item. You wreck and they rip apart. But normally hold up long enough to reduce issues by a lot.

I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread. 3 weeks ago I dumped by bike right in front of my house. I had just put new rotors, pads, and bled the brakes on my CBR1100XX, and was out bedding in the pads. The first pass, I instantly locked the front tire, and the bike was on it's side before I knew it. I guess the brakes are slightly more powerful... Stupid... I blame rider error, 6 year old tires, and the linked brakes. I was doing 60-70mph, and the right side of the bike is scratched up. Insurance decided to fix, not total out the bike, so they cut me a fat check to get it fixed. I work for Honda, so I got all the new painted panels for a huge discount. The bike is better than when I bought it, and I am ending up a few $k in the black.

As for gear, I had a cheap HJC helmet, which is ruined now, but did the job. I had a no name armored textile jacket, which did great. No tears. I did manage to sprain both shoulders from the bouncing down the road. My AGVSport mesh gloves worked for the most part, but tore at the wrist, giving me some rash. My Joe Rocket mesh pants shredded, and I had some nice rash on the hip and knee. I will never buy that again. Junk. Either way, I'm still here, not in the hospital, because I had my gear on.

Anyways, thanks Jeff for the Revzilla link. I bought a silver Shoei GT-Air helmet. Totally worth the premium price. I've tried one out before. It's super quiet, and the sunshade is worth it's weight in gold. I also sprung for a Klim Induction jacket, and Klim Overland pants. Super pricey, but apparently they are very well made, and bomb proof in a crash.

Oopps,

When the front washed out, did the bike come down pinning you between it and the road? I ask because that would explain the pants failing so bad. I know they are meant to be a once and done thing, but that sucks they failed so much.

damn man, glad to hear you are doing ok after going down.
what pants did you have specifically?
also good to hear you like the shoei helmet. hopefully it works out as well for me.

Thanks guys. It happened so fast that I really can't recall what happened. The bike laid down on it's right side, but ended up in the ditch on the left side of the road. My right shoulder and hip took the worst hit from hitting the asphalt, but the rash is on the outside of my left knee.

The pants:

Skid marks:

Bike:

I've received my gloves and overpants so far. The gloves fit great, real nice leather, I think they will work out well.
The pants, very big and bulky, might have gotten a size too big. I have to try them on and sit on the bike to see how they feel. The only description I can come up with right now is snowmobile or snowboarding pants.
Better than shorts. After I test them out sitting on the bike I will consider keeping them, or returning for a smaller size, or upgrading to leather pants.

Over pants = goes over your pants or shorts.
If you just have underwater under them. They will be baggy

I normally wear over pants with a pair of breathable wind pants... they were a bit big on me as well... but sometimes a little rain and sun can shrink them a smidgen and they fit perfect after that

I normally wear over pants with a pair of breathable wind pants... they were a bit big on me as well... but sometimes a little rain and sun can shrink them a smidgen and they fit perfect after that
Be careful... Synthetics melt to your skin.

updates on my gear
went with a small Shoei GT-Air, it was a tight fit so i had to order the smaller cheek pads and now its a firm snug fit. helmet is nice quality. internal sun shield could be a little lower.
overall i am happy with the 570 price tag if it has a chance of saving my life
Joe Rocket Alter Ego Overpants - changed out the XL overpants for large (short inseam) and they fit much better. overall pretty happy with the pants, not too hot in the sun.
everyone says it looks like a snow suit, but i'd rather look doofy and keep my skin.
priced in right around 180 and i'm happy with the price if it means i can avoid some road rash if i wreck.
Alpinestars SP2 - the SP2 gloves ran me 100, need to break in a little but the fitment is nice and they seem pretty sturdy. i am sure they will offer better protection that the previous gloves i was using.

ordered all this gear from revzilla. called them regarding the helmet fitment and tried out the smaller cheek pads and am very satisfied with the customer service.
printed out the prepaid return slip and RMA number for the XL pants return, just need to drop them off at UPS after work.
2 thumbs up for this company, very helpful customer service and hassle free returns. all online shopping should be this easy.

so i dropped off the UPS prepaid package at UPS facility lastnight around 6:30pm
just received an e-mail that the return was processed and refund was issued already

great return/refund service
you just log into your account and select the items you want to return
then you can select to send them yourself, or select a prepaid UPS label
they will deduct 7.45 from your total refund to cover the return shipping charges
super fast and easy
could not express how simple this whole process was.

simple return rules
1, don't ride with the items, any bugs etc and they will not accept
2, return in safe packaging, in plastic bags etc with all tags (no scuffs from being shipped lose in a cardboard box type of thing)
3, no pet hair or other signs of dirt/damage
pretty easy list of things to comply with

Back