time for a new laptop....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
i'm sick of my 17" crt....
i'm sick of my mobo being incaptible with one of my drivers and crashing windows at least once a week
i'm sick of it not telling me which drive it is
i'm sick of having my floor vibrate from my fans
i'm sick of having no desk space

so, i'm sick of my tower.
i will be parting it out eventually, or ebaying it as one unit... i dunno
i will also be selling my tuning laptop. it's fine and all, but its just too old (even though its only a couple years old, its outdated for a main machine for a nerd of my stature :p )

so, here's the deal.

assuiming i get 500 for my laptop, and 500 for my tower or pieces inside it thereof, and about 500 more from my tuning stuff that i will be selling, i'm going to have 1500 bucks to buy myself a new laptop.

1st and foremost, i will not buy a dell. so don't even suggest it. F them.

hdd space is not that big a deal to me--- i have a 160gb external usb hdd with most of my music on it anyway. an 80 gb main drive would be fine. a raid 50gb/50gb or something similar would be ideal.

widescreen display. i want it. i never have my widows full height, but i always have them full width. and besides, widescreen owns.

docking station. yup, it has to have one available. i will probably buy this later, so don' include that in the price... but it must be available. i hate typing on laptops. and while i can jsut plug in a keyboard, i'd like to set up a docking station at my desk and that way i can simply bring it downstairs or outside or where ever if i want to without having to fuss with cords...

option to have it NOT come with software. I don't want office, i don't want your macafee crap that doesn't work worth a damn anyway. all i want is XP pro on it. NOTHING else.

no celeron processors. god those things suck. amd 64 or M class only.

1gb ram, in dual 512 arrangement.

built in dvd burner

ieee ports

usb ports

NO BLUETOOTH.

so, what would you buy? :laugh:

umm, can't help ya with thesearch for a new one, but sell me your laptop. my harddrive is making a shit load of noise. this POS gateway i am using is from 2000, so it's jus a little outdated. not really worried about losing info though, 'cause a roommate just set up a 1.2 TB server in the house.

but ya, if you sell either the laptop or the desktop PM me first, please.

good luck

laptop is a dell inspiron 1100 i think...

it's mint, minus the M-key has something under it (like a spec of dirt or something) so you have to mash it to make an M come out. i bet it could be simply cleaned or pop the key off and see whats up. other than that, its mint. i have winamp and tuning stuff on it... thats about it. that's all i really ever used it for. xp home, not sure if it has office on it, i don't think it does... i have all the orig discs somewhere...

i think its a p4, 512mb, 40gb off the top of my head...
i paid 1200 for it off ebay (new in dell box from overstock pc dealer) a couple years ago...

i'm prob gonna put it on ebay and see what i can get for it....

i can get you an acer travelmate... the one i have is an M, its got DVDRW also :)

AMD Turion 64 Mobile Techonlogy ML-34

1.8GHZ, 1MB L2 Cache

DDR-333 1GB

120GB Hard Drive 5400RPM

Intergrated DVD-RW Dual Layer Drive

15.4'' WXGA+ TFT

64MB

ATI Mobility Radeon x700 Graphics

6 in 1 Card Reader

Multi Media Card

Secure Digital Card

Memory Stick, 802.11b/g Wireless

Gigabit LAN

V.92 Data/Fax Modem

Windows XP Professional (SP2

Limited 1-Year Warranty

your looking at around 1350. you can get an ez-dock later.

I like the HP laptops with amd 64 mobile processors and for 1500 you should be able to get everything you want.

zv6000 series
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with SP2
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
Display FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen
Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory™
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
Networking 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster™
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft® Works/Money

This one I priced out is 1400.00

Quoted post[/post]]
not bad... but it's an acer..... lol

I know a guy that has his own real estate appraisal business, he's had an acer travelmate for over a year now and has had no complaints at all. No problems. It kinda surprises me, but maybe Acer laptops are actually worth a damn.

Quoted post[/post]]
I like the HP laptops with amd 64 mobile processors and for 1500 you should be able to get everything you want.

zv6000 series
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with SP2
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
Display FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen
Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory™
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support
Networking 54g™ 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster™
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft® Works/Money

This one I priced out is 1400.00

hrm... that seems like a good deal... i might be able to get a discount through work too...

alright, its on. i just spec'ed out that hp with pretty much everything for about 2100 bucks.

i got my sales guy fom cdw on the hunt to try to find me a better deal.

i'm still pissed that they make you buy at the very least MS monmey/works. i dont ned that shit. open office FTW

Quoted post[/post]]
not bad... but it's an acer..... lol

it may be an acer but i BEAT THE SHIT out of my travelmate (i opted for the 14 LCD instead) and its still running like a trooper. plus we sell these to our biggest client, and trust me... they beat them alot worse than i do.

also, i can get you a free copy of office 2k3.

the acer doesnt come with all that other bullshit as well. its just a barebones XP install with the acer goodies (power management and etc). trust me, those goodies make my laptop last a nice 5 hours on battery power.

Quoted post[/post]]
alright, its on. i just spec'ed out that hp with pretty much everything for about 2100 bucks.

i got my sales guy fom cdw on the hunt to try to find me a better deal.

i'm still pissed that they make you buy at the very least MS monmey/works. i dont ned that shit. open office FTW

Awesome good luck! 2100 damn! did you max out every option?

dont forget to look at the zd8000 as well if you are interested in a 17 inch screen.

mm maybe wait for intel's yonah??

itll be like a year but its supposed to be bad ass. built on a 65nm core and its dual core that uses less energy. basically two pentium m's stuck together, but with a better overall design.

ive never experienced a system with dual core until i used a pentium d at costco the other day. its pretty bad ass even though its the weakess dual core out there. i wonder what the x2's are like...

anyway, good luck with your laptop hunting. and maybe a sony or ibm? reading the mags and they say the thinkpads are pretty solid.

sonys suck.

ibms are good, i looked at 'em, and i had a thinkpad back in the day... but they are too much money for what ya get imo.

i think i'm going with this:

Item description Each Qty. Total Remove
HP Pavilion dv8000z customizable Notebook PC
EE298AV

* – Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with SP2
* – AMD Turion™ 64 ML-37 (2.0GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
* – 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
* – 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory™
* – 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
* – 80 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
* – FREE Upgrade DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
* – 54g™ 802.11a/b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
* – 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* – Microsoft® Works/Money
* – Earbud Headphones with In-Line Volume Control
* – hpshopping in-box envelope

This ships free $1,643.00

and

HP Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
DL988A#ABA This ships free $59.99

later on, i will re-do my wireless network (left the old one at the house for mom and dad).. i can stay wired for now...

so im right around 1500 bucks like i wanted to be. :)

my laptop, desktop, misc parts, tuning gear, and wide band will all be hitting ebay tonight :)

Quoted post[/post]]

itll be like a year but its supposed to be bad ass. built on a 65nm core and its dual core that uses less energy. basically two pentium m's stuck together, but with a better overall design.

ive never experienced a system with dual core until i used a pentium d at costco the other day. its pretty bad ass even though its the weakess dual core out there. i wonder what the x2's are like...

anyway, good luck with your laptop hunting. and maybe a sony or ibm? reading the mags and they say the thinkpads are pretty solid.

why would he want to wait a year to buy a computer that's gonna be hideously expensive when it comes out?

Intel is overpriced anyway.

welp, i bought it :) yay!

now, to hope this comes on my NEXT month's CC statement... lol

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

why would he want to wait a year to buy a computer that's gonna be hideously expensive when it comes out?

Intel is overpriced anyway.

it was just a thought and it wont be outdated so fast since dual core will soon be the norm. but seeing as he doesnt do much anyway, it doesnt really matter. and i dont think it will cost that much more seeing as dual cores cost roughly the same price as two chips anyway, sometimes cheaper.

anyway, hopefully hp doesnt have compaqs quality as it just won last place for reliability in pcworld and pcmag.

and actually the new amds run much cooler than those p4s with their netburst. many owners report of instant death syndrom with their prescott cores. and right now amd just owns every market except the mobile.

whatever. good buy B. i bet its leaps and bonds better than ur old setup.

it can't possibly be any worse... lol

i have a mix of ahrdware from 1997 to 2005 in this box... heh

my whole office is HP, and no one really ever has any problems. mostly fans on the towers.. thats about it. $3 part...

link to ebay stuffs? :)

hey B, i DO have another one of those tosh laptops like the one i sold to bill.

Back