Time for a project, where do I find the optimal performance/price ratio?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kordyte

Me and a few buddies are looking to building a honda drag car. Essentially I'm not picky about the car/generation, motor, looks, anything, just what's the fastest damn honda for 2k-4k? We haven't bought anything yet, just getting into the game. This car will be completely stripped, just leave a seat or 2 in it.

I really only know Evos, but I have a general idea about Hondas. Am I looking for a CRX, EG, EK, or what? Which are cheaper, which are better for a drag car?

Engine - obviously I'd like a B series, but can I build a fast-enough car with the D? I'll be running a turbo either way, and I have a buddy who will be fabbing everything on it.

I don't give a damn about driveability, I want the most balls-out powerful cam possible.

How fast do you think I could make it, what WHP and 1/4 e.t. with 2-4k?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
You're honestly not going to accomplish much at all with a budget of 2-4k. If you were to spend the entire 4k (and the car you purchase is just a shell, no engine or bad engine) then you might be able to do a stock B-series swap or a stock d-series turbo set-up.

If you're buying a car that's not just a rolling shell, then you're barely going to have money for anything at all, maybe some bolt-ons.

Honestly, if you want to build a competitive Honda drag car, then you're going to need to spend a little more than $4,000 total...

Last edited:
You never really said what kind of number's you're looking for either. If you're looking for something comparable to your EVO you're going to have to put $$$$ into a gsr motor. If you're just looking for something with 250ish hp though it's not too difficult. You could get a B18b and spend probably $2-$2.5k turboing it.

Yeah, the more I look into stuff, I'm realizing that hondas are more expensive than I'd thought. So how you guys could help me is just telling me how much engines will max out at, like the following: D15/16 stock internals, built, B16 stock, built, B18 stock, built.

I know Evo 4G63's max out 400-500hp before you need some internals, where are the honda engines at?

I'll be looking to run a pretty big turbo, I don't give a rat's ass about lag, so I'll want to rev relatively high.

Thanks guys, that's what I'm looking for.

d16 are good to about 230hp before you run the risk of snaping the rods
b16 are good to about 300ish before you start breaking stuff

fully build d16s will get you close to 500hp
fully build b16s will get you close to 600hp

I figured a Honda would be too expensive for our speed goals, so I just bought a '79 Mustang. It looks like shit, but it'll be faster than a civic for comparable money. Maybe I'll be back for a civic later in life, thanks guys

b16 are good to about 300ish before you start breaking stuff

fully build b16s will get you close to 600hp

i may have to dis agree in this months honda tuning it shows a 500hp b16 motor on stock internals its all on how you tune honestly. of course it was turbo but tuning is the key. it really dont matter how much buildin you do if your tune is off you can still detonate

if you believe everything you read in magazines your and idiot, There is a tuner called evans tuning that has done a 400 hp on a stock d16 too. Just because people do it doesn't mean its safe. A good tune will help but at that kind of horsepower the internal pressure is to great for stock parts to last.

if you believe everything you read in magazines your and idiot, There is a tuner called evans tuning that has done a 400 hp on a stock d16 too. Just because people do it doesn't mean its safe. A good tune will help but at that kind of horsepower the internal pressure is to great for stock parts to last.

well the numbers dont lie they have shown results. but im not goin that far in depth with my motor jus goin for 300whp and callin it a day. im jus stating a point i read. thats all

Just because they have numbers doesn't mean they didn't fudge them. :thumbsdown:

:werd:

And it doesn't mean the thing didn't blow up the next time they ran it.

Speaking of Honda Tuning, those fuckers are slow getting their subscriptions out this month...I saw there was a new issue at the book store like two weeks ago, but they haven't sent it to me yet...

Dyno chart? What's your build. Show us where and what you spent the money on. Don't just say stuff without backing it up ;)

I figured a Honda would be too expensive for our speed goals, so I just bought a '79 Mustang. It looks like shit, but it'll be faster than a civic for comparable money. Maybe I'll be back for a civic later in life, thanks guys

No it won't. Well, it'll be faster- but by the time you get thru all the parts that will break on you constantly, you'll realize you should have gone gm :)

Back