Time for my homeowners Rant....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

So yesterday morning I wake up about 4:30am as usual... I say to myself hmmm... its a tad chilly in here.. First thing to my mind... SH!T... Furnace... So I go in there, sure enough, safety switch is tripped...

Reset the breaker, furnace kicks on... I figure ehh... maybe it sucked air or something got into the line... Fire runs for 30 seconds... Safety switch trips... wtf...

Start diagnosing... Blower & ignitor kick on, so its not that.. Circulator pump isn't coming on, even though the relay appears to be clickin... Hmmm... Lets jump the pump to main 110... Yup.. Pump works..

SH!t.. Bad relay... Lets replace the relay... Hmm... Relay doesn't want to come off the board... Lets research this old furnace.... Just my luck... RELAYS ARE SOLDERED TO THE BOARD, AND ARE UN-REPLACEABLE. SH!T. Time for a new controller...

"Hello Shetucket Plumbing? Do you have an R8182D Honeywell Controller in stock?"
"Sure Do."
"How much?"
"$288"
icon_confused.gif
"Thanks."

So I do some more testing, and everything seems to be leading to that relay.. Do some more research... Those relays are known to go bad and require replacing... Oh well... Off to Shetucket on lunch break.

Come home after work (OF COURSE i HAD to stay late to do things that COULDNT WAIT :( ).. Time to install the controller. Take my time, wire it up nice.. Double check everything... Turn on furnace, furnace kicks on... Circulator pump doesn't... Hmm.... 30 seconds... Safety switch pops... MOTHERF**KER!!!

hmmm... maybe it is the pump... Off to Homo Depot... New Pump... $79.. On my way home, I think about it... Wait a second.. The circulator pump wont kick on unless the furnace is at minimum temp!! DUMBA$$!!!!

Get home.. Do some testing... Turn the low switch WAYYY down while holding the blower on... Sure enough... Pump kicks on... **Smashes head against Furnace**

Well lets see... What else is in the loop... Thermostat, which works because its clicking the relays on and off... And the Cad Cell (Flame Detect). Its not 8:30pm... Shetucket is closed... Guess I pickup a new Cad Cell in the morning.

"Hello Shetucket? Got a Honeywell Cad Cell?"
"Sure Do"
"How much?"
"$13.95"
"Sweet"

Pick it up.. Spend 25 seconds installing it... Fire up furnace... Start counting... One OneThousand, Two OneThousand... Thirty.... ThirtyOne... ThirtyTwo...Sixty... Still on... WOOHOO! And DOH! At the same time!!

So lets see... I wasted a whole day, $280, and slept without heat last night for a $13.95 Part... Looks like I just bought myself a Furnace controller for Christmas. :(

And the real ASS kicker... I'm putting in a new furnace in the spring.

That blows some ass. I'm so unfamiliar with anything to do with an HVAC system. It can be mind boggling.

stop being a pussy. it was warm out yesterday. I had my windows and slider open till about 1130pm. heats still off, and its still well over 60 ion my place. :p

I fought my furnace the first month I moved into my house...got a new furnace and forgot about it...house is nice and cozy...no worries for a while....went from oil to gas too...

That's cuz you don't have as much insulation as b does.

Do you have oil? No maintenance contract with yoru fuel supplier? I do - paid nothing for my cleaning, and some misc parts to get the efficiency back up to 92%. This is on an 8 year old furnace (purchased new it was a 95% eff. burner)

look into them if you can.

I need to look into a contract... A guy I work with pays $200/Yr and buys his oil from them too. I never understood how they worked... But I have now put in the past year a new nozzle, blower motor, controller, filter, & electrodes. My boiler doesn't leak, so I might just clean it up and skip replacing it...

My furnace is about 40 yrs old though. Think they will still do a contract on it?

I look at it the same way i look at my prelude. ive basically replaced the entirety of the suspension, the engine and most of the interior. aside from the engine, ive only put about 2k worth of work into it, and with another 1,000-1,500 i can probably get a decent resale on my car (meaning more than what i originally paid).

Just need to sand primer and paint and the car will be good to go. if everything is new in it, whats to say it wont last another 15 or so years?

Screw a contract, I pay about $2.05/gal for oil right now, and do my own maintenance on my Biasi furnace which is only a year old now and can burn oil or ga. Contracts work for older burners that you know are going to need work. Contracted places always charge more for the oil to cover some of the costs of doing maintenance.

$2.05/Gal w/o contract!?!?!? OUCH! I just paid $1.89 about a month ago... I'd gladly pay $1.99 / gal with a contract to not have to worry...

ALso remember I travel... So i'm not always home, and my furnace is 40 years old.

I live in a higher price zone than you and $2.05 has been the lowest price in the area these days.

Back