1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for new router

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by K2e2vin, Dec 29, 2010.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Alright, this is my second Linksys router and I'd like to stay away from that brand and Cisco for a while(I had that Vonage one, and currently WRT54G; my neighbor had the newer "sleek" ones that also went out). As of right now, it sometimes cuts off the connection for about 5-10mins but rebooting it, it works fine. It's just starting to do it more and more lately. I'm not doing anything intense(no P2P, downloading, etc....just net surfing).

Anyways, what are some good routers that work well for gaming and can hand P2P traffic, yet is cost effective(bang for buck)? I've had great luck with Asus products but never used any of their networking stuff. I'd also like to stay away from D-Link as I've ran that too; but I know a couple of people using Netgear with no issues.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

ive got a d-link nXtreme... works like a charm. havent rebooted it since i set it up over a year ago.

D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR-655

3. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Dlink and Linksys are the only two I've ever used. Dlinks seem to have better longevity.

1 person likes this.
  4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

wow that D-Link is fast! I'll definitely look into that.

My first Linksys and D-Link lasted only about a year. This current router, Linksys WRT54G, has been going for about 3-4 years. Main problem I had was with the wireless but I don't use it much at all so it didn't bother me.

5. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

I liked the Belkin wireless routers. now I use the one built into my laptop..

6. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

d-link blows donkey nuts. same with belkin.

id only use linksys or netgear. i currently have a netgear gigabit N router (exact model escapes me now). i havent had a single issue with it in the 2 years ive owned it. since you are leaning away from linksys/cisco, id really look at the current netgear giga/N routers.

7. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

get one off this list of supported routers and load tomato (hyper-wrt) on it and you're set:

Tomato Firmware - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

i have a Linksys WRT54G with Hyper-WRT still running; 6 years and counting. i recently upgraded to "N" and picked up an ASUS RT-N12 with tomato and its been running great since May.

8. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I'm using DD-WRT right now and was running fine until lately(I've had it on there for roughly 2 years).

9. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

maybe a new firmware is needed? or probably just slow dying.

anyway, i think all tomato router supports ddwrt, but not all ddwrt supports tomato. and not to take anything from ddwrt, but with the asus rt-12n i have, ddwrt was terrible on it. after i loaded tomato teddy bear mod, its been solid.

the only downside with tomato is its not as actively supported as ddwrt and the menu is a bit advance, but other then that, its quick to learn and tons more features (probably wont ever use =).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted