Time to buy a new car

Which car should I buy?

• 2000 Golf 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

caffeind

I will be getting the highest trim level of which ever car i pick. The main factors i'm considering in order are:

Reliablity
Stock Preformance
Gas Mileage
Style
Aftermarket Support

So far i've decided the lude would be more reliable, but after owning a turbo charged car it's hard to give up. bovs are teh pwn :D.

This has to be my daily driver to college (about 30mi one way) so it'll definitly be racking up the miles. Right now i drive a 95 eclipse gsx with 150k miles on it. It's verging on falling apart. I can get a newer golf cheaper so that means less miles probably.

I know a lot of you are thinking, "why not just buy a 92 civic and swap with the extra money?" Well if things were different that's what i'd be doing but my dad is agreeing to help me buy the car so all i'm getting is a car.

As far as aftermarket parts, i'm broke as a joke so only very basic mods, if any, will be done until i get a job that pays more than minimum.

Well given the choices, I picked the Golf. I've never liked the Preludes as their backseats are a joke. The Golf would be more practical as a college student's car. Can you get a TDI one?

The preludes are tight, but I like the older body style. Still, given that the prelude would probably not be any faster, and has no extra seating(or very little), the golf seems more practical. The 1.8t would get better mileage, afford passenger space, and still have some get up and go.

Whoa, I totally plagarized her post^^^^^^. Sorry, but I was just thinking the same thing. :)

Backseat....if you live in dorms it shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful that if the golf starts driving shitty, then take it to the dealer. There's a recall for a faulty mass air flow sensor for the 2.0 8v, but I don't know if the 1.8t has the same problem.

I say you get a 240sx.

I'd get the Lude i guess. They're both gay cars though. I'd rather have a GSR or 99-00 Si over either one.

I voted the prelude, I love the tailights on the 'lude too. I also just like the body style slightly better than the Golf. However, I would get whichever one is a better deal, pretty damn even call, if you ask me.

Yeah so far i've been leaning towards the golf.

Hey does anyone know the difference between a fully loaded Golf 1.8T and a fully loaded GTI 1.8T....they seem the same to me.

yah, the prelude has NO backseat. seriously, i think it's there for decoration. the prelude is also a hefty 3000 pounds. The best my friend could clock with a 99 prelude was a 15.7, of course we have the shittiest track in the nation, but still, thats sad. go with the golf.

I would vote neither, and go with a 95 gsr. VW's suck hardcore. They break down, have awful electronic problems (think of Lucas Electronics of Jaguar fame), and they are heavy.

If I had the money to spend on either of those, I could buy an awesome gsr and have money left to build the motor.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Jun 4 2004, 02:11 AM
I would vote neither, and go with a 95 gsr. VW's suck hardcore. They break down, have awful electronic problems (think of Lucas Electronics of Jaguar fame), and they are heavy.

If I had the money to spend on either of those, I could buy an awesome gsr and have money left to build the motor.

Mechanically VW's dont have major problems from what I have seen but there are some building quality issues with interior parts.
As much as I hate to recommend it, I'd have to choose the 1.8t over the prelude, but I might be a little biased too. The gti isnt much lighter than the prelude. The handling in the prelude is like 10 times better but the gti has some things that arent available on the lude, like seat warmers, leather, and the backseat is much much bigger. i think the differences between the golf and gti 1.8t are the number of doors and suspension specs like damper and spring set up and also gti's come with bigger wheels and darker, solid red tailights. i dont know if you can get a golf with leather either.

Its kind of funny cuz I wanted a prelude since i was 14 and ended up with a gti.

Originally posted by preluderjs+Jun 4 2004, 02:57 AM-->
MikeBergy
@Jun 4 2004, 02:11 AM

Mechanically VW's dont have major problems from what I have seen but there are some building quality issues with interior parts.
As much as I hate to recommend it, I'd have to choose the 1.8t over the prelude, but I might be a little biased too. The gti isnt much lighter than the prelude. The handling in the prelude is like 10 times better but the gti has some things that arent available on the lude, like seat warmers, leather, and the backseat is much much bigger. i think the differences between the golf and gti 1.8t are the number of doors and suspension specs like damper and spring set up and also gti's come with bigger wheels and darker, solid red tailights. i dont know if you can get a golf with leather either.

Its kind of funny cuz I wanted a prelude since i was 14 and ended up with a gti.

hey sweet you have a gti. have you had any problems with it? gimmie some info dude, how do you like it?

I like it alot and am very glad I got it over a prelude because of the potential the motor has since Im in cali. The problems Ive had are the power windows dying (problems that all VWs have), the glove box breaking but it still closes (another popular problem), my downpipe had a hole in it for some reason, my cd changer stopped working and i didnt bother to get it fixed because i put in a sound system, the armrest top can fall out cuz the side broke, some of the door handle material peels... I think that is everything. haha, it sounds like a whole lot but I still wouldnt trade this car in for any competitors. The shifter feels notchy if you're coming from a honda but its easy to get over. I think my shocks are kind of blown too, and whatever you do, make sure you get one on 17's, i got stuck w/ 15's and 195/65's and its the worst possible combo when paired w/ 162 lb/ft of torque. My car is used and a 00. Anything after 02 makes 180 hp. If you got any more questions just post em up and my bad if i talked you out owning one,I still really like mine.

oh yea, the windows were fixed under warranty and I barely missed getting my glovebox fixed under warranty. I'm just going to order the euro one for 30 and find instructions for a DIY.

If you were looking for the totaly reliability i would go toyota, like a nice celica GTS..Like i said before my 4 Runner has 226,000+ miles on the original motor its never going to die, I had a 92 celica gt also and it had 185k on it..the only reason i got rid of it was because my dad woke me up one day and said, "Wake up we are going car shopping"....I think toyota makes a more reliable and powerful car..Just my Opinion

Prelude by far. The 1.8T is a joke....Yeah it's a turbo, but who cares? It's a tiny turbo and doesn't produce much power. I was making short work of them with my H22 Accord, and was keeping up with them when I had the crappy F22 engine before I swapped it. And I'm not even getting into the extremely shitty styling of the VW's.

After reading these other replies... I would also have to interject my more enthusiastic vote for getting a OBD1 GS-R. My earlier reply was within the constraints of the choices only being for a Prelude or Golf (I know about the VW window regulator issues ;) ).

GS-R! GS-R! GS-R!

However... since you said that you're a college student, what kind of allowance are you going to have? With gas prices going the way they are... I love that my stock Si still feeds on 87 octane gas. But anyway, Hondas and Acuras are so wonderfully reliable and cheap to maintain.... they are the best choice for a college student.

I'll let you know how I feel about Toyotas at the end of June. ;)

Back