Time to buy a new car

Which car should I buy?

• 2000 Golf 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VW's are really nopt that great. being a college student you prolly wont have the time to do mods on this car. plus with this being turbo and all the parts are going to be that much more expensive. I knew a kid once who had a GTi stock and we raced in my SOHC del sol and i crushed him! Then a month later something broke and he couldn't afford to fix it then he sold it and bought a civ hatch.

my opinion get a SRT-4, GSR, miata, Civ Si, 00+ Celica GTS, 240sx, 98-99 eclipse GSX, impreza 2.5RS, VW GTi, Tiburon GT, BMW Z3

list above in that order

I ranked the GTS a little low due to price but these are in order of performance/price/maintence/aftermarket all combind to make my list

hope this does something for you!

the relibility issies of the VW are kinda worrying me.

In response to the comments about VW styling i like it so ha!
About purchasing a honda other than a lude. If i did get a honda it'd be a SI hatchback. GS-R isnt what i'm really going for. Buying a GS-R and leaving it stock wouldnt be doing it justice and more than likly i'll just leave whatever i buy stock other than maybe a lip for style.
As for power 150-200 is all i'm looking foor. Past 200 and it just becomes an insurance issue.

Originally posted by caffeind@Jun 4 2004, 12:04 PM
the relibility issies of the VW are kinda worrying me.

German cars (Audi, VW) do seem to have more problems than Japanese cars (Acura, Honda), but generally they're a lot nicer to begin with. Expect to have to spend more in maintenance on a nicer car. It's like w/ exotic cars.... I just read that with a lot of Ferraris you need to replace the trannys in them like every 6000 miles & minor maintenance usually doesn't cost less than $1000.... but it's still nicer than a Honda which doesn't cost shit to maintain.

We've always had Hondas & Audis in my household. I have many friends that own both & each of them has their own problems. You can easily put 200K miles on either car. It seems to me the stuff that goes wrong with German cars is more piddly shit, like interior stuff versus Japanese cars which seem to have more mechanical problems as they get older.

For a realistic commuter car, either is fine. If you want more seat space, go with the VW. If you want more trunk space, go with the Honda. As far as stock performance, the VW is quick, but my relatively stock '99 Si really kept up with one the other day. I was very surprised as I expected it to smoke me & we were neck & neck!

With that being said, I think the only thing to weigh is price & options. I didn't vote, because I'm in the same boat as you & am having trouble deciding on my new or "new to me" car. Good luck!

I owned a 1998 Jetta GLX VR6 for about 2 years and loved it, the only problem I ever had with the car was the power windows, and after a while they became an easy fix, and I never had the problem again. I put 30,000 miles on the car and it never gave me any grief. I had decent gas milage, but then again I never really pushed that car, and it did not have the gasmileage that my civic has, but then again few newer cars do. I have never liked the preludes as they have always been heavy car cars, and I know the VWs are not light either, but they are way more comfy than a prelude IMO.

eeh this is killing me. the lude is out of the question but i'm still iffy...i'm thinking about a 99 volkswagen GTI v6....

dont go near the vr6 its quick stock but it casts a fortune to make it go faster
the early 1.8t made 150hp but a $500 chip takes you to about 195hp 225tq at the wheels with no i/e it doesnt take much money to make those things go fast with $3k you can have ~275-300 at the wheels

dont forget they have way more tq than hp once modded

Originally posted by caffeind@Jun 4 2004, 04:03 PM
...i'm thinking about a 99 volkswagen GTI v6....

Dude! A v6 will guzzle so much gas! You must have rich parents...

Originally posted by racintweek@Jun 4 2004, 04:25 PM
either one 18t or vr6 needs premium petro

Well with gas prices the way they are... no way would my daily driver be a V6 and needing premium gas. Even tanking up the GS-R is painful.

golf... i got a friend that has a 1.8t and another with the vr6. They are pretty quick and nice on the inside. They handle really well too.

Originally posted by Havok+Jun 4 2004, 07:51 PM-->
Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jun 4 2004, 03:48 PM
racintweek
@Jun 4 2004, 04:25 PM
either one 18t or vr6 needs  premium petro

Well with gas prices the way they are... no way would my daily driver be a V6 and needing premium gas. Even tanking up the GS-R is painful.

Gas down here is cheap as shit.

2.09 for 93 octane

You lucky cocksucker. Premium is upward of 2.40 a gal at the cheap conoco stations. For 76 or chevron primo, its a little over 2.50

I knew this would eventually turn into a "lets compare gas prices" thread.

:postwhore:

Get the Golf, VW is fucking GERMAN engineering. Looks pimp, drives pimp, would make you a pimp even. Get the Golf.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jun 4 2004, 11:31 PM
Get the Golf, VW is fucking GERMAN engineering. Looks pimp, drives pimp, would make you a pimp even. Get the Golf.

I don't know about that... the pimpest car on this forum is Ji's red AllTrac. ;)

um. no. Alltrac is cool and all, but he's still got the gay ass stock wheels on it. :p

Umm... no. Not on the highway is that car at all gay, not when it is passing anything it wants to. And white GS-R coupes are very pimp also. :p

VW's are rather porky in their lines... they need to be able to hold those bratwurst-eating Germans inside.

anyway, I'm being shunned for my opinion but I still say get hte Golf.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Jun 5 2004, 12:03 AM
:ph34r: I thought Bill's BMW was the pimpest car here... <_<

Well Bill's is very nice and perhaps has the greatest value... but BMW's are very common and rather nouveau riche in attitude. Ji's car is also very rare... and being red helps too. ;)

<----- Only a car chick.

Back