Time to do some painten' ^^

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SHOGUNOVDDRK

ok so my car's paint is looking a lil awful and seeing as ill have it all to myself shortly i figured fuck it ill go paint it one weekend may even pandarise it a lil :mellow: and maybe paint the rims you know

my first questions is can i get a professional look with just spray cans?

ok so seeing as it will cost me a bundle to get it done professionally im wondering about which sought of paint gun would be better and if anyone has had experience with them and just some insight on which paint to use or a write up may help ^_^

Last edited:
ha...you will get a half ass looking paintjob with cans even if you take your time...dont paint with cans..its like wiping before you poop..it dont make any since!!!:huh: get a gravity fed paint gun and get you REAL paint if you have to do it yourself...that should get a good job done..after last coat..wet sand and give you a good clear coat..your set!

about how many coats would do it?

and yeah i plan to use good paint im just not sure which sought i should be looking for?

(im a nooob to painting my car)

Spray cans are great for small items, but they just dont work on larger surfaces like the hood, roof, trunk, etc.. Its too hard to make it match and coat evenly because it takes multiple cans of paint to do the larger surfaces (and i'm not sure I've ever seen perfectly matched cans of paint), and the pressure varies while painting.. I did an EG civic fender once, and it came out nice, but thats a pretty small surface, and it took forever to make it look good. I tried a hood on my crx, and no matter how much I tried, It didnt look good. I got the paint smooth with a nice face reflecting gloss, but you could still see uneven paint color throughout the surface. (gunmetal was the color, metal flake might have been the issue there, perhaps it would work better with a solid color)

You should look up that $50 paint job using rollers and paint in a can. I want someone from here to do it and report back real world experience. Personal experience tells me that you'd spend more than $50 on sand paper trying to get it to look good, but thats just a guess.

i read the 50 dollar paintjob before and a friend might try it in a few weeks ^_^ so if he doesnt wuss out of it youll get some results

but i couldnt imagine doing the whole car with spray cans....

im probably gonna start off with repainting the hood and painting the bumpers white..

You know.. I have an EG hood I could test it on.

Hell, I even have the correct paint and rollers in the shed. If the paint hasn't gone to hell.. Its at least a year old.

you could get a cheap hvlp gracity gun off of ebay and if you already havea compressor you're have way there. go to your local paint shop and see if they carry dupont chromabase paint. thats pretty close to oem as you're gonna get. the paint are excellent. if you're going to paint in your garage i would do all the sanding pull the car out wash it down sweep and wash out all the dust from the garage and pull the car back in. close the garage door, and if you can get a 10.00 24inch fan at walmart, get it and put it infront of a vent whole facing outwards so it blows out all the overspray. before you lay the paint down wipe your car with a tack towel to lift up and left over dust. spray your frist coat lightly then your second and third can go on thicker. oh and be sure to have some type of breathing mask!!!! you don't want to breathe the vapors in. this is what you are loooking at for supplies...
1. sand paper
2. breathing mask
3. tape to mask stuff off
4. paint
5. paint reducer
6. clearcoat
7. clear coat hardner
8. hvlp gravity gun

theres alot more you can get but those are the basics for the most part. best thing is if you mess up, its your can and you can resand and respray all you want.
if you got any other question ask and if i can help i sure will. good luck and post some pics of your progress. oh one more thing. patience..take your time sanding and preping the better the prep the better you pain job is going to turn out.

From experience, get a quality gun, quality paint, practice, be real careful on clearcoat because you can't tell how much is on really before it starts to drip. Do it in as dustfree as environment as possible, otherwise you will get tons of stuff in your paint. Do as many coats as you can stand, that color goes on super thin each coat. And tape everything, I didn't and had to Goof Off my back window.

Back