1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to shop for a new tranny...need suggestions

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by BigBoy, Dec 15, 2005.

1. BigBoy

BigBoy Senior Member

current setup: EF hatch, jdm b16 j1 tranny

my tranny is makin all kinds of noises and im just gonna replace it and throw an lsd in there instead of a rebuild. I plan on staying cable cause i heard its a pita to convert to hydro. Im deciding on another j1 or ys1(gsr) with lsd installed. I came up on either tranny with kaaz installed for 1400, is that a good deal?

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

overboost sells Kaaz LSDs for 880 bucks...so your paying about 500 bucks for the tranny and limited labor to install the lsd.

3. BigBoy

BigBoy Senior Member

so u think its a pretty good deal? i was gonna get my tranny rebuilt by gearspeed and its 1150 for a rebuild, 1350 for rebuild plus carbon coated syncros, and 2350 for that plus a quaife. Way too much.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Yeah, that's a decent deal. You could try to find an OEM cable LSD transmission too.

5. raiden571

raiden571 Member

i think an oem lsd from a type r will work in there, but im not to sure...

6. BigBoy

BigBoy Senior Member

i did some research and im gonna go quaife for the lsd. I cant seem to find a cable tranny with oem lsd. Im also thinking of just doing a rebuild cause its gonna suck to spend money on a used tranny to have it take a shit a few months later. Who knows how hard it was driven. Gear-speed here in cali who are well known for tranny work can do a complete rebuild of my j1 with all new oem parts, carbon coated syncros, quaife installed for 2350. Its pricey but should i go for it?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted