Time to upgrade the computer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Havok

Alright, nerd herd, Doom III and Half-Life 2 beckons, among other things, so I need to A.) Buy a new computer or B.) Upgrade my current one. I got a quote of about 1300.00 for a new comp from Dell, with like a 3.2 Ghz Processor, 1 GB of RAM, 256 MB Video Card...I currently have a P4 1.7 Ghz, 1 Gig Ram, and a Radeon 9600 Pro Video Card.

Would it be easier to upgrade the motherboard and processor? I can do basic shit like install RAM, Video Cards, CD drives, set master/slave shit, etc., but I havent messed around with a motherboard.

Looking for 3+ Ghz processor
2+ Gig of Ram
256 MB Radeon Card
That's about it, my DVD and CD-RW are fine for now.

That's not a bad price from Dell. What video card does that come with?

You could run HL2 and D3 with your current card if the rest of your system were up to snuff.

If you've installed RAM and shit then you should be able to swap out a mobo. Just make sure you're really careful. Ground yourself to the case before doing it, don't be drinking while assembling, blah blah blah.

And for godsakes make sure you use the standoffs. I've seen what happens when you don't. :lol:

Hit up Newegg for some killer prices. I myself would go Athlon 64 over P4, but it's personal preference. Generally the Athlon 64 boards paired with the Nforce chipset mobos can squeeze a little more out of your system gaming-wise.

Asus A8N-SLI nForce dual PC3200
1024MB MDT PC-400 CL2.5 2x512-400-SS
G256P Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz

This is what I have, and let me tell you, it is perfect for playing those games, I play both. Running about 135fps during benchmarks. For the RAM, you can use the value select, don't buy into the "gamer" RAM. Here you go 1G, 91 bucks.

Everything is good enough, without being the most expensive shit there is, and the MoBo is ready for SLi, if you are so inclined down the road (Scalable Link Interface for running dual graphics cards).

I'd say get an NVidia card and DL RivaTuner, then you can open the pixel pipelines and have the next level card for the price of a lower model, wish I had, also The ATis aren't ready for SLi, though if you don't care about it, either will work fine.

You should run an Athlon 64 Chip. They get the best benchmarks for gaming. I can't really give you any suggestions other than that because my specialty is SMP (multi-processor machines) so I don't pay much attention to single proc motherboards. If you don't go SLI, you should still DEFINATLY go PCI-X. Get an x800 xt or something and you'll rock :)

Definitely agree with the A64 suggestions. I got to see one running in full 64 bit mode with no 32 bit underpinnings, and ho-lee SHIT if flies!

Definitely worth your buck.

How do I know what processor will be compatible with my Dell? I was looking at the A64 3800 for about 450.00 here. Dosen't a 256 MB Video Card require an alternate power supply?

the Atholon64 won't be compatible with your dell, I'm sure.
You would need a new motherboard and shit.

Motherboard: ASUS "A8V-E Deluxe" - $149 newegg
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ - $360 newegg
Memory: 1gig (2x512) Corair PC3200 DDR400 RAM -$91 newegg
HD: Western Digital WD3000 300gig 7200rpm HD - $170 newegg
Shitty case - $20-$50
Power Supply: Antec 480W PSU - $91 newegg
Drives -$20-$200 (Depends what you want. CD/DVD? CDRW? DVDRW?)
Graphics Card: Radeon x850 PRO 256mb - $400 (or less if you want a lower model, although, I would stick with the x800/x850 if you want the best gaming card)

Total: $1400 for a completely bad ass system

Nope that CPU is socket 939 and won't fit a Dell MoBo. Also if you don't have a mid/fullsize case the PSU will probably interfer with the CPU heatsink. You're almost definitely going to need a new PSU, especially if you go with the 3800+ and a Radeon X800/X850.

Ktanakas list is pretty good. You can use your DVD/CD Rom, and HD (just make sure it's 7200rpm, if it's 5600rpm you should upgrade it)

You can't look at the Ghz on 64s and compare them to a Intel, it is different arctitecture (is that the right term?) My 3500+ is running at 2.2Ghz, and blows away Pentiums running 3.5+.

A better Mobo, it doesn't support SLi, but it has an NVidia chipset, PCI-E, and it's socket 939, can support 4 G of RAM. Oh, and it's only a few bucks more. Graphics card, PSU, and HD get a big thumbs up. The RAM, not sure, don't know the brands. The specs are right. IMO you be as well off to get 2 sets of 512x2 from Corsair, but it should all perform in the same area.

I'm liking the 4 gigs of ram...but I have had nothing but trouble with NVidia for years, I avoid that shit like the plague. I would need to test a 256 MB video card out before purchasing a Nvidia again.

Well, you're getting an ATi Radeon, not an Nvidia, that's just the OEM chipset on the MoBo. If you aren't going with dual, and have no plans on it, the Radeon is probably the better of the two anyway though it doesn't support being made to run duals (yet).

Yeah the Nvidia chipset (motherboard) is definitely the best, bar none. Intel has some decent chipsets, but they're only for intel processors (big surprise). I wouldn't go with an Nvidia based graphics card, but they sure can make a nice chipset.

And yes your current optical drives will work.

Fuck that, he will want PCI-X Graphics if he wants the best of the best in graphics. AGP is going nowhere fast. It will be completely obsolete in a few years. Whatever you do, make sure the MB you get has PCI-16x support. You don't need, and will never need (whith that computer) 4gb of ram. I'm running 1gig on my 3d Graphics Workstation and thats plenty, 2gb is the max you will ever use with today's games. Your computer will be far obsolete before you will ever NEED more than 2gb of ram, so ram capacity should NOT be something to look for on a MB. Almost all of them support 2+ gigs.

just keep in mind that for gaming:

Graphics Card >>CPU>>>>Ram

Those are good recommendations. I vote for the AMD 64 too.

If you're looking for a good stable motherboard. Get the MSI Neo Platniums. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-130-484&depa=1

If you're looking for a rad ass motherboard that overclocks very well. Get the DFI.http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-152&depa=1

Either of these two motherboards are loaded. Preferrably i'd go with the DFI. However, its not a novice board and there has been some compliants of loose material due to shitty packaging. So inspect the motherboard, but besides that, its the king in stability and overclocking.

Forget getting that 3800+. Save yourself $100 and get the Socket 939 3500+ Clawhammer. There are rumors that are flying around its a downlocked 4000+ Sledgehammer, which is $600, that has half its cache disabled because they're bad. Anyway, people are getting 2.6ghz stock cooling and stock voltage. Those who are lucky are getting 2.8ghz!! with air!! Thats even faster than the FX55 which cost $1000 abit with only 512k cache. Make sure you get the stepping CAA2C which are supposedly the "lucky" chips. Even if you dont, 2.6ghz well out do almost anything out there.

Originally posted by ktanaka+Mar 29 2005, 11:15 PM-->
Fuck that, he will want PCI-X Graphics if he wants the best of the best in graphics. AGP is going nowhere fast. It will be completely obsolete in a few years. Whatever you do, make sure the MB you get has PCI-16x support.

Graphics Card >>CPU>>>>Ram
[post=480407]Quoted post[/post]​
The MoBo I linked has PCI-X 16X support :)

endlesszeal
@Mar 29 2005, 11:19 PM
Forget getting that 3800+. Save yourself $100 and get the Socket 939 3500+ Clawhammer. There are rumors that are flying around its a downlocked 4000+ Sledgehammer, which is $600, that has half its cache disabled because they're bad. Anyway, people are getting 2.6ghz stock cooling and stock voltage. Those who are lucky are getting 2.8ghz!! with air!! Thats even faster than the FX55 which cost $1000 abit with only 512k cache. Make sure you get the stepping CAA2C which are supposedly the "lucky" chips. Even if you dont, 2.6ghz well out do almost anything out there.
[post=480408]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a 3500+ Winchester, according to a few people it should overclock better than the Clawhammer, but I can't seem to get past 2.5 and stay stable :( Problem with these is the multiplier is locked at 11, so have to use the HTT, which from what I understand puts strain on the whole system instead of just pushing the CPU, right?

I have a WD 80 gig HD now, these Mobo's will be able to support multiple HD's, right? I will probably order the 2nd one John linked, I thought the chipset required a Nvidia Video Card. It has 4 slots, and supports 4 gigs of ram, so I will prolly get 2 for now.

Originally posted by Havok@Mar 29 2005, 08:55 PM
I have a WD 80 gig HD now, these Mobo's will be able to support multiple HD's, right? I will probably order the 2nd one John linked, I thought the chipset required a Nvidia Video Card. It has 4 slots, and supports 4 gigs of ram, so I will prolly get 2 for now.
[post=480486]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure, a pair of IDE buses can support 4 drives, SATA can also support multiple drives.

You don't need an nVidia card for an nForce board. It's nice but not needed. Personally I'd rather have an older Geforce versus anything ATI makes... ATI simply does not know how to code a driver. You think it's hell to get them working flawlessly under Windows, try wrestling an ATI card under Linux. (Shudders)

Once ATI shows me that it can write a decent driver for BOTH platforms, then I will consider buying one.

Until then... my Geforce serves me well.

Originally posted by Havok@Mar 30 2005, 02:55 AM
[post=480486]Quoted post[/post]​

2GBs is plenty, even with one I didn't drop below 450MB free. Oh, and I have two HDs right now, so yea they can support more than one.

Back