Timing belt and starter qeustion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93cxhatch

I have been having trouble starting my b16 since I put the motor in my car. I thought it was the distributor and replaced all the parts within the distributor, still no spark??? Anyway I decided that it must be timing and thought that my timing belt was tight. I installed a new one when the motor was out of the car. I noticed that it seemed a little loose. Then I cranked it over a little and this was what happened: http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/calvinbrandel/civic/0062.JPG
After that cranked it all the way around just to make sure that it was not broken and it looks fine. As I was cranking it though, it seemed to be slipping and the right cam would turn faster creating the gap in the timing belt again. Anybody have any ideas? Do I need to just tighten it back up, by taking it all apart again?

Also I was wondering if anyone know what this peice is on the starter, it has a hole in it for a bolt. I also noticed that it had a charge running through it when I hooked up a multimeter to it: http://www.angelfire.com/dc2/calvinbrandel/civic/0060.JPG

Got your pics open and your timing belt is loose. You should be able to tension the belt by removing the plug in the cover over the tensioner. loosening the bolt, turning the crank counter clockwise until the belt is tight then tightening the bolt on the tensioner. This is assuming that all the parts are installed correctly. I couldn't recognize any thing in the starter pic to give any help there.

I read your post again. Did you run a chassis ground from the body to the engine? The bracket in question appears to be the hold down for the engine harness.

People are lazy and dont want to cut and paste links, so I saved them and hosted them for you.
No clue what this is a picture of...
dunno.jpg

Slack In Belt
TB.jpg

Ok, the second picture is clearly a sign of a belt out of adjustment. What you need to do now is, remove everything that hides the belt. Retension it and turn the engine over 4 times MANUALLY. Then see what happens

i had the same exact problem with mine, i had to tighten the tensioner and then turned the crank by hand and ti got nice and tight, it should work for you also goodluck man

Thanks for the replies, trying stuff out later on today. The first pic is the one of the starter (notice the blue sqaure label). Anyway I grounded it and it went up in smoke and fried the wire. It's on the side of the starter. Kind of weird???

Back