Timing Belt Brands differ in quality?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

Is it worth spending the extra money into buying original honda timing belts? The non-OEM belts are far cheaper than the OEM belts, but will they last just as long?

It is a rather important part of the engine, and I'm not sure if its better to just pay a little more for peace of mind.

Do you guys use 3rd party timing belts or OEM only belts?

i used a ebay generic timing belt and it was the worst thing ever

2 weeks after the installation i had to change it out cause the belt was wearing away and there was the belt dust everywhere

get an oem one, trust me

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 22 2004, 12:06 AM
OEM or a bling TODA belt would be the only thing i'd consider

yeah, an OEM timing belt just feels that much more better when you grab it...feel a gatorback timing belt from autozone, then feel an OEM belt.

yeah, an OEM timing belt just feels that much more better when you grab it...feel a gatorback timing belt from autozone, then feel an OEM belt.

I agree, to me the piece of mind whort the extra cost for a OEM timing belt

Good luck

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 21 2004, 09:06 PM
OEM or a bling TODA belt would be the only thing i'd consider

:concur: would only use oem or toda, and since i don't have the $$$ for the toda, I only use oem honda

Yea, thats what I figured, the OEM is probably the better way to go. Anyone know where I can get the best price on them? :)

Do I need to get tensioners too?

I know I need the water pump and balance belt while I'm down there.

u should replace them, they wear out and dont tension the belt to the right tension after a while. replace water pump while ur at it...

<- Using a GReddy timing belt. Very good quality belt, haven't had any problems and no sign of wear.

Get a new tensioner. I didn't know to do this when I replaced my timing belt. 30k later, my tensioner bearings exlode, little bearing balls everywhere inside the timing belt cover, and I still don't have my car running 8 months later. I am poor. :(

Back