timing belt broke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well ill by a belt whats the worst right shit i had just got it replaced like 6 months ago not even 20k miles went on it. sucks it kinda had slack on it and didnt know why but everything was tight

what mark do i place the crank to and cam gears any one have pics or info

move each cam a little,then move the crank untill all marks line up,hint---youll need some help holding the cams still,use a pair of drill bits through the cam caps,when the timing belt is on and you release the tensioner,then pull the drill bits out and rotate the egine by hand to re-check your marks,,,last hint---remove number one spark plug to look down and check for TDC to find the correct mark,----LS motors arent interference at low rpms,DOHC motors are interference only when V-TEC is engaged,good luck and post your results

On the block there is a lil line and a line on the crank match them up dead on. And about the cam caps. There are holes through the the caps right to the cam on the end with the gears. The cams have lil holes match em up and stick anything strong in there. I use screw drivers. Put the belt on the crank firs. When putting it on the cam gears do the left one first make sure there is no slack

Last edited:
okay thanks for the info i check all my plugs and they all good looked threw spark plug holes and didnt see any thing but then agaig the opening is as bing ass a nickel lol well will do the belt this weeken and keep u guys posted thanks when the belt was don it had slack twards the front of the motor not the water pump side ? so when i reved the belt would flap a bit when idling down guy said he did his best

okay thanks for the info i check all my plugs and they all good looked threw spark plug holes and didnt see any thing but then agaig the opening is as bing ass a nickel lol well will do the belt this weeken and keep u guys posted thanks when the belt was don it had slack twards the front of the motor not the water pump side ? so when i reved the belt would flap a bit when idling down guy said he did his best

The slack is always supposed to be on the waterpump side, so the tensioner can take it up. That's likely what caused your failure, that guys "best" wasn't good enough IMO.

yeah the guy was a certified mechanic from sac and he said it was okay. i changed the belt because the old one had slack, it was already a replaced one because it was changed at 100k so it would of been the 3rd belt....

Back