Timing belt change

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, ive figured that the TDC code that has been throwing means my timing is off and since im pretty sure my timing belt has never been changed, its now due for a new one. What all goes into this and what would a ball park figure be for the cost to get it replaced by a mechanic. Thanx for any help.

Not too hard !! I have a SOHC and I changed mine, just make sure you do it right. Get a Helms manual and follow the steps, don't sidetrack. If you do it right, you'll be done in about 6 hours. Most shops charge you $70/Hour and tell you its about 4-5 hours to do !! A big rip off if you ask me. I don't know jack about engines and I just replaced my head and I had to mess with the timing belt, it was fun and the manual was a big help !!! Good Luck...

i have no idea the difficulty level of a timing belt change, i think the most strenuous part is getting to it.

as for a timing belt alone, i got one for a bseries for 50 bucks from the dealership.

you might want to do a visual inspection first, honda timing belts tend to hold up well, you might just need to adjust something.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jul 8 2003, 03:31 PM
hahahaha 450$ for a timing belt? you have gotsta be kidding.

thats for the full service timing belt, balancer belt, waterpump, etc + labor

its pretty easy to do, just like someone post above the most work is getting to it.

I say do it yourself.

Milan

The lowest estimate I could find for my h series was $865.

One of them was right at $1000. I'm gonna pull the engine in about 2 months when it starts getting cold and start building it up for next spring so I figured I'd wait til the engine is out and do the belt change myself.

just wanted to get back with you all for your help, yes, I'm glad that I did it myself, learned alot while taking the engine apart, and yes, its a bitch of a job, but, i think things shall run smoother now that it is done, i didnt even really replace it, just inspected it without taking it off, had some help from experienced friends, but all and all it was cool, just got to put it back together tomorrow.

Back