timing belt damage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
So i was poking around under the hood today and noticed that my timing belt is screwed. It has less than 2000 miles on it, and overall looks to be in good condition. No unusual wear or anything, there is just one spot that has a ragged cut about 1/3 of the way through the belt. Its an OEM honda belt.

The question is... have any of you guys seen this kind of damage before? I feel like it may have been cut in some sort of lame attempt at sabotage. I had my hood open for hours the other day at the track. I walked off a few times, but not for long. Regardless of how it happened it just sucks :(

timingbelt001.jpg

timingbelt002.jpg

Last edited:
i was going to drive it work tomorrow, glad i saw this. looks like one good 8000 rpm rip would do it in!

looks like there might be something or some bolt sticking out that it might have snagged on..

yeah thats right, thanks... yeah i have a gsr water pump

yeah then gsr belt.. sucks that just happened right after you got the motor done.. could of been the end of the motor.. thank god it didn't break when on boost..

when stuff breaks, it's a perfect time to upgrade. consider a greddy replacement. i hear they are pretty good.

or a Gates Racing.. thats what i have in the teggie.. paid less than OEM off ebay, brand new

just found a brand new in the package oem honda belt for $45 shipped, gunna have to go with that!

and i think i may have figured out what happened to the belt... it looks like something metal fell down into the timing chain cover and bounced around. there are a couple marks on the teeth of the gears, and a spot where the plastic cover was damaged slightly. when i put the new belt on i will further inspect the situation.

just found a brand new in the package oem honda belt for $45 shipped, gunna have to go with that!

and i think i may have figured out what happened to the belt... it looks like something metal fell down into the timing chain cover and bounced around. there are a couple marks on the teeth of the gears, and a spot where the plastic cover was damaged slightly. when i put the new belt on i will further inspect the situation.

good deal on the belt... i wonder if some asshole domestic car owner walked by and dropped something in there....

this is why i run both timing covers on my car lol.. small rock or piece of debris can do a ton of damage. id say you got fairly lucky

you're going turbo now right?? in that case i would go w/ something stronger than the OEM belt

i'm not so sure i see the need for an upgraded belt unless you have stiffer valve springs or a big cam... the motor is going to rotate faster up to given RPM yes but the load doesnt necessarily increase THAT much.

is the timing belt really an issue with boosted cammed setup? i see so many race cars at the track with oem belts.

i have crower springs and retainers, but my cams are only Blox A cams... just slightly bigger than a ctr profile. the car is driven like 1500 miles a year maybe, and ill change the timing belt at any sign of wear.

Back