timing belt install link needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mulepick

I'm looking for the link to the in-depth H22 timing belt install write up. This one talks about which pulley to turn to take slack up with and how to maneuver stuff to get belt on the correct teeth most easily.

Tks,

Bob

You don't turn a pulley to take slack off the belt, you turn a tensioner to do that. Go to a shop and have them print out the procedure from AllData or whichever database they use. This will give you in depth how-to's and even bolt sizes and schematics/diagrams.

Hmm. Now would that be the Accord or Prelude manual. Wait, I own both the factory manuals and almost have them memorized as I've had this swap for over a year now!

Of course tension is driven by the tensioner. When I swapped out the lousey Prelude tensioner for the H23, I had this in mind.

Torque on the exhaust pulley creates slack in the front part of the belt, allowing stuff more easily to be accomplished with the flywheel gear. Conversely, reverse torque on the intake pulley frees up slack in the back. A combo of these allowes the thoughtful user to more easily get the timing belt on and on correctly. No mean feat when things are extra tight due to above tensioner mod and the fact that 3 critical alignments are being done.

I'd be much abliged if someone still has the writeup or the link. Otherwise, please just move along, nothing to see here.

Tks,

Bob

That seems to happen a lot around here. I see people asking very vague, simplistic questions, but then, when you give them the obvious answer they launch into a tirade and spew out a bunch of in-depth info that they already know about the situation and ask a more specific question.

It's like, why didn't you just say that in the first place?

partially unbolt the tensioner, then place the belt behind it, then put it on the crank and cams and water pump. then ease the belt onto the back side of the tensioner, and move the tensioner into place.

edit: you need to have the belt barely on the back of the tensioner before you put it on the water pump.

Last edited:
Back