Timing belt/ Pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Swap fan

ok, i got a hf with a 1.6 swap. my damn timing belt snapped on me on the f***ing hywy the other day. I have 3 questions:
1. would it be better to have a mechanic replace the timing belt or do it myself? I have the basic hand tools and little experience with timing belts( dodge neon, rotary rx7).
2. How much would it cost to have a mechanic replace it?
3. How in the hell do u remove the camshaft pulley?
any help is greatly appreciated honda world

1. Do you know how to re-set your timing?
2. Around $400 or so.
3. That I can't remember, though I did see my mechanic take it off in three point five seconds once.

if you broke your timing belt there's a really good chance that you bent a few valves if not broke them.

would i have to check with my mechanic if theres any valves bent/broken or can i check any way?

you probably want to have a mech take a look at it. it will require at minimum you remove the valve cover. it might be necessary to remove the head as well if they do seem bent or broken to check the condition of the pistons and cylinder walls.

my car did the same pull the gead off to check for damage if it looks good put it back on replacing head gasket and use an impacts gun to take off the crank pulley bolt then put the new timing belt on and put back together replacin the water pump at this time we be a good idea

Your engine is considered "interference". Meaning, you snap that timing belt, especially on the highway driving, you definately smashed valves. The question is, did the cylinder walls take a beating from it as well as the rod/main bearings, from the impact of the valves to the dome of the piston/s? Your best bet would be to replace the longblock.

Back