Timing Belt Repleacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I right I know proper maintenanance is the single most important thing you can do to help your car last but here is my situation. I have a 97 GSR with 103k. I have not changed that timing belt do to the fact I couldn't go to work will my car ripped apart. I have just bought a truck to drive to work so that is no longer a problem. My question is that before 150k I plan to pull the engine and rebuild it with USDM ITR pistons, rings and rods. I have seen many 200k+ Hondas that look like the oil was barely changed much less the timing belt and they are fine. What risk of timing belt breakage will I have if I wait. Has anyone heard of a timing belt going before 150k. Also does the timing belt stretch like a chain and cause cam timing problems. I would just rather save the time and do it all once the motor is out. What do you guys think? Please no one post "The manual say every 90k". I know but alot of recommend intervals is so the dealerships can cash in on the services. Thank you in advance. :p

If that belt breaks before you rebuild the motor, you stand to lose a lot more that the $$$ and time that it takes to replace it now. I have seen blocks, pistons, cranks and heads that have been rendered totally useless after a belt hase broken.

It's your call though...

Kirk

I think the best mantra on car repair and up keep is as follows...

"If there is a potential problem fix it now or fix more later..."

"Why do tomorrow what can be done today?"

"Where there is one problem there are two behind it..."

"If you know the problem and don't fix it, it's your ass"

I hope those convey my thoughts on the subject.

Basicly the minimum thing that can happen if your timing belt snap is you could bend half of your valves because they stay open and then the pistons go up and hit them. That could result in your pistons breaking, rist pin snapping sending the piston what ever way it chooses, snapped connecting rod or crank shaft. Parts can end up shooting through the block and then your entire engine is pretty much gone. Basicly if you do it yourself, you can do it for less than 100. If your not as comfortable in doing that, you could have someone else do it for you. Honda dealerships charge 4-500. My naighbor owns a shop and does great work for cheap, did mine for 250ish with no dicounts due to relationship, just a macinic that sells himself short.

Belive me it is cheap insurance. I have talked to a few people that had there timing belt brake, they had to totaly rebuild there enigne and it snapped at about 100k. it is either 100-400 now or 4g's later, your choice

Thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and do it now and just drive it til it needsa a rebuild. All the miles are highway so I think the motor is in great shape. I really appreciate the advice. The last one about belts snapping at around 100k scared some sense in to me.

Its always better to change it when you can. I have a b16a3 engine and i was driving then the timing belt snapped!
I have already used all 3 of my AAA tows, and i am stuck.

hey, it cant hurt to reply for all those people that stumble over the internet and find this.

Back