Timing Belt snapped

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattus72

So I was driving home from work today and as I coasted down the hill to the stop sign at the bottom I realized my car had shut down. after a little diagnosing I then realized after pulling the timing belt cover that it had snapped! I do know that I had the clutch in and was just coasting at the time the timing belt broke and I did not hear any crunching or nasty sounds. so my question is what is the likelyhood that I bent a valve or two or did any serious internal damage? by the way the motor is a b16 if that helps at all.
thanks for the replies -Matt

Chances are still pretty good that you tweaked some valves. Even at idle speeds, there is a lot of rotational energy that gets slammed into your valves when the timing belt fails. My roommate bent valves on his nissan ka24 when the timing chain broke at idle speed.

eh, i dunno about the B16, but i blew my timing belt going 80mph in my d15b2-driven CRX and didn't cause any damage to my valves.

compression test, yo.

:shrug2:

cross my fingers

well I guess Ill just go ahead and replace the belt and hope for the best. If not looks like im dusting the bike of and peddling around for a while:(

Back