Timing Belt / Tensioner Problem? Please Help...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

400m

So, yesterday afternoon my wife and I were exiting I 95, and at the end of the off- ramp, a terrible rattling, clanking noise started coming from the engine bay of her 2000 Prelude VTEC DOHC. we pulled over when we had a safe spot to stop and check it out, roughly two to three blocks. When I checked the oil, it was dry as a bone- But I knew that it should have had oil in it. So, I walked to a store and got oil, put it in the car, and started it- hoping that somehow ALL of the oil had been drained, and this would solve the noise. Not the case, as when the car was started, the noise continued, and then the engine died. On trying to start it after that, the engine just turned at a high rate, with no fire- as though it was out of timing. I checked the oil level after AAA got us to the house, and it was double what it should have been... I pulled the head cover this morning, and the timing belt is intact, but very loose, and when the engine is turned over a bit at a time, you can tug the belt and it will skip teeth. Now, when trying to start the engine, there is no terrible noise, I don't know if that is good or bad. It seems as though if something were crushed or broken, it would be getting kicked around somewhere in there, right? SO: what is the overall damage? Is this engine designed in a way that valves would be crushed if it were to jump timing? I know nothing about honda engines, as all of the vehicles that i have had have been 60's to 70's BMW's. Sorry for the long post...
Austin

There is a chance that it could have bent some valves up if the timing belt slipped. But running it out of oil could have caused alot of damage also. I am not sure how mechancially capable you are but you should get a repair manual and reinstall the timing belt correctly. Then I would either spend $20 or rent a compression tester. This way you can see if it bent some valves up. To be honest it doesnt sound good.

Back