1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing belt woe's

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by n1mr0d, Jul 10, 2005.

1. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

So I have finished rebuilding my cylinder head after I bent all my exhaust valves from over reving the engine on my GSR motor. I got the parts put back together. I was installing the timing belt that I had on the car when I over reved the engine and I noticed a lot of slack in the belt.

I installed the belt and then tighted the spring loaded belt tensioner. Then I turned the crank by hand to get the timing belt to seat properly. Well as I turned the crank, slack would develope and the cams would skip teeth on the belt. I don't know if over reving the engine stretched the belt or if the tensioner spring is shot. I'm not sure and it's the only things that I can think of but the belt looks in great shape and the tensioner pulley and spring also look good and are holding tension. What am I doing wrong? Any input would be helpful. :worthy:

2. noobvang

noobvang Senior Member

Better to just replace to whole darn thing. Cheaper this way than replacing all the parts that you just replaced because of a bad timing belt and shit. Get the OEM kit, comes with everything you need.

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Tensioners are known to go bad. You should pick up annother one.

4. B16CRX

B16CRX Senior Member

when you replace the timing belt, water pump and tensioner are on teh shopping list.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted