timing belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
i cant get my timing to stay right,
set te cams to te correct spot,set the crank pulley to TDC,using the one tick mark all by itself,lining it to te mark on the belt cover,now when i crank the motor over it jumps a tooth,what could be the problem??
am i missing a step or something?
also trowing a code 8(TDC sensor),and the motor will not start

what motor is this on? if its a dual cam.. it may not be jumping a belt.. dual cams have a lot of length between the exhaust cam and the crank... and when you release the tensioner it doesnt take up that slack... only when you move the crank will it tighten up.. and that will offset the timing... what i did on mine was roll both cam sprockets forward about 1 tooth, line the crank pulley up with the timing cover, then slip the belt on the exhaust cam - intake cam - water pump - tensioner... then i roll the cam sprockets back to where the marks are even with the head, making sure the crank doesnt move.. then release the tensioner to take up the slack on the other side of the belt.. works everytime for me.. may not need to go a whole tooth forward.. kind of trial and error.. but again.. this is for dual cam.. never had this problem on any of the single cams ive worked on. are you rotating the crank 3 complete times with the tensioner released and rechecking the timing before you're trying to turn the engine over?

Fail! I told you how to do this in my thread bro, set the timing, leave the tensioner loose. Grab the crank pulley and rotate the engine Counterclockwise about 3 deg. then tighten it up. Thats why you are having this problem..

Really? Hmm. Make sure that tensioner is TIGHT, and I MEAN TIGHT..

they are a c*nt to get off, but thats the way they should be. Also make sure there's no slack on the front of the belt

I'm assuming it's the right belt, but I did get a belt from auto zone one time that was totally the wrong belt. I had problems getting it on the D16Y8 I was working on, and finally I got online and checked the part number I had vs the one online, and bingo. It was like 22422 and he pulled 22442 or something like that. Anyway, it's always worth double checking the part number just in case it was someone's first day in the parts department. An extra tooth on that belt would f your world up on getting timing set.

ok redid the timing,did everything you said.the camgears are fine,but the crank pulley is off just a little bit(is that fine?)
and im throwing code 8(TDC sensor) is that in the dizzy?

my buddy had a similar issue with it skipping a tooth just while we were trying to turn the motor on the stand after building it.

Turned out to be one of the cams( I think in his case it was the Intake) was 'seizing.' we used different cams and it worked great. I guess the one that was seizing just had a bit too little clearance for the bearing-surfaces.

Whats leading me away from this scenario, however, is that you're using the same cams that were previously in it, right?

I'd recommend pulling the belt off and putting a strap wrench on the a cams and see if you can spin them both. if not......

i can spin the cams with my hand,,its hard but i can do it,
i think i got the timing issue solved,now i think i need a dizzy

Back