1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

timing for turbo

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by b16rex, Aug 25, 2004.

1. b16rex

b16rex Junior Member

Just wondering if a turbo application is similar to nitrous. Do you have to compensate by retarding your timing and if so how many degrees per psi?? Thanks, Mike

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

nitrous doesn't run on psi.. lol

but, nitrous is more like an all motor setup in terms of timing... nto as much, but a slight advance up top will make good power.

butyou better have the fuel to keep up with it.

3. [Freemantle]

[Freemantle] Senior Member

The conservative "retard per psi" for turbo setups is about .8-.95 degrees per psi, never to fall below 7 degrees. These are only used to set base maps to be built apon with further tuning. Over-retard and advance back to perfect.

4. b16rex

b16rex Junior Member

cool thanks guys!! :D Also I was just wondering about my wastegate. I have a 35mm tial with a 6 pound spring. When the wastegate senses full boost it lets out the extra right?? Or does it let all the boost out to where you dont get anymore? When I get in to the upper rpms I hear a woosh sound(wastegate opening?) then I feel like I hit a wall losing power?? I initially thought of fuel, but my a/f gauge is still in the green. Dont know whats going on!! Please help... Thanks Mike

5. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

when the boost hits 6 psi it opens leting out the excess pressure

6. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

Maybe your blowoff valve is set too loose allowing it to open and bleed off boost at the wrong time? You really should have a general understanding of this stuff before getting it on your car..... :unsure:

7. b16rex

b16rex Junior Member

Actually this is my second turboed car. I had a 99 si with a drag gen 3 kit and I had no problems whatsoever. Thanks for your help though!! I'll try the bov!! :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted