Timing Gun

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KrUsHa

hi i just recently got a timing gun off my friend and i was wondering how it works theres a dial in the back to set the degrees like for instance if i want to set it to 17 degrees and i press the trigger how will i know if its at 17? does the light change or something? please let me know and while youre adjusting the distributor it is ok to move it while the engine is on while youre doing this right? im new to advancing timing any help would be appreciated thanks

you hook up the timing light to your batt. then the other one to your #1 plug wire (one closest to drivers side). next you'll want to jump your service connector with a paper clip (keeps the ecu from trying to fix timing on its own). start the car, the light will flash according to what you have the dial set to. aim the light at the crank pully, there is a pointer on the block, you want the TDC mark to hit that pointer (the white one, that is 16 degrees from the red mark), and that is what the timing is set at (the timing light flashes, and you should see the white mark "light up"). loosen the 3 bolts on your dist. and move it by hand to adjust your timing, with the car running. towards the back of the car is retard, towards the front of the car is advance.

sorry man could you tell me what and were the service connector is use an integra for example or whatever

and how is the white mark lining up? i mean lighting* and when it actually reaches the degree set on the dial does the light change or somethig to indicate that its were you want?

not sure where its at on the teg's but on the civic its in the passenger side kick panel. it is a 2 wire plug. the timing light will flash a light, when pointed at the crank pulley, this will light up the TDC mark, it should light up where the pointer is, when you have the dial set to what deg. of timing you want.

Back