1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Help

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by vmk23, Aug 15, 2003.

1. vmk23

vmk23 Member

This is my first time so...on a D16Y8 (ran by a P28), which cylinder is the #1 cylinder? And once i get the timing light all hooked up on that wire and i shoot it through the notches, how do i know what degree the timing is set at currently? I was told i need to set it to 16 degrees. Is this right. Sorry for the stupid question, I appreciate the help! Thanks

2. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

#1 cylinder is closest to drivers side (opposite of the tranny) and there should be 4 marks on you crank pulley... 1 mark by itself and 3 next to each other. when the timing light is hooked up, the arrow on the timing belt cover should be in the middle of the three marks.

3. SolidDreamz

SolidDreamz Senior Member

yeah, pretty simple and easy. Adjust distrib. to advance/retard if need be.

4. vmk23

vmk23 Member

Just finished doing the timing...yeah it was pretty easy. thanks

5. randerson165

randerson165 Senior Member

I heard that you have to jump your service connector when you adjust your timing and that your also supposed to keep it idle around 750 rpm !! Is this true ?

6. vmk23

vmk23 Member

Yeah it says to keep it at 750rpm's when checking your timing however in my case i couldnt get my rpm's up that high. and yes you need to jump your service connector before checking and adjusting timing. this is because if you dont your computer will try to compensate for your adjustments...throwing you off.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT ADVANCING YOUR TIMING DOES AND WHAT BENEFITS YOU GET OUT OF IT AS OPPOSED TO THE RECCOMENDED STOCK SETTING. :huh:

THANKS

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted