Timing Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vmk23

This is my first time so...on a D16Y8 (ran by a P28), which cylinder is the #1 cylinder? And once i get the timing light all hooked up on that wire and i shoot it through the notches, how do i know what degree the timing is set at currently? I was told i need to set it to 16 degrees. Is this right. Sorry for the stupid question, I appreciate the help! Thanks

#1 cylinder is closest to drivers side (opposite of the tranny) and there should be 4 marks on you crank pulley... 1 mark by itself and 3 next to each other. when the timing light is hooked up, the arrow on the timing belt cover should be in the middle of the three marks.

Just finished doing the timing...yeah it was pretty easy. thanks

I heard that you have to jump your service connector when you adjust your timing and that your also supposed to keep it idle around 750 rpm !! Is this true ?

Yeah it says to keep it at 750rpm's when checking your timing however in my case i couldnt get my rpm's up that high. and yes you need to jump your service connector before checking and adjusting timing. this is because if you dont your computer will try to compensate for your adjustments...throwing you off.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT ADVANCING YOUR TIMING DOES AND WHAT BENEFITS YOU GET OUT OF IT AS OPPOSED TO THE RECCOMENDED STOCK SETTING. :huh:

THANKS

Back