timing is off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my timing is off need someone to fix asap. 91 honda accord will pay. laurel jessup savage area in maryland. email me at hondanamics@msn.com or leave me an email address :worthy:

get a timing light.
warm engine up to operating temps.
turn car off, disable ECU.
hook up timing light.
start car, make sure check engine light is on.
loosen distributor.
move it accordingly until timing is back where its supposed to be.
enable ECU again.
turn car back on.

you should be able to get the timing close enough by hand for the car to start. just put the distributor close to centered on there. that should be close enough. if it doesnt start still then you have other problems. timing belt could have jumped a tooth or something. check out all the marks on your crank and cam pulleys. set the engine to TDC on cylinder #1 and if all the marks dont line up then the timing belt is off and will need to either be replaced or adjusted. if everything is cool with the timing belt check to make sure you are getting proper spark and fuel. also this may sound dumb but make sure that the plug wires are on in the correct order.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 20 2004, 12:33 AM
you should be able to get the timing close enough by hand for the car to start. just put the distributor close to centered on there. that should be close enough. if it doesnt start still then you have other problems. timing belt could have jumped a tooth or something. check out all the marks on your crank and cam pulleys. set the engine to TDC on cylinder #1 and if all the marks dont line up then the timing belt is off and will need to either be replaced or adjusted. if everything is cool with the timing belt check to make sure you are getting proper spark and fuel. also this may sound dumb but make sure that the plug wires are on in the correct order.
[post=405059]Quoted post[/post]​

ive checked the wires and plugs check and recheck timing i guess im just missing sumthing

on an accord 91 lx theres an adjustment bolt for the dis. my dis. is all the forward where should it be at need help asap

Might be your distributer, or your ignition control module. My car wouldnt start and i had to replace the distributer to get it to start, now all is good. Check that.

i know its not the coil or ignitor had test it test good. guees thats what ill have to do
ne idea if i move the distribotor if it will help or would that not make a diff

well had someone look at the car they said theres no spark can ne one help me on what it could be STILL WILLN TO PAY

no spark means that something in the dizzy or the wiring is missed up. if the car is stock then disreguard the wiring, replace the coil and see if that does it for you. dont go by if it tests good or not. i had one test good but it was still bad.

Back