Timing Off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

okay, i just added some gsr cams into my b16a (i got them for free from my friend), and when i installed the cams, everything looked tdc...i used a timing light and the marks were to the firewall side of the block...i at first thought it was advanced, so i turned the distributor a little to the firewall side of the block and the car sounded like it was going to die, so i turned it back to the bumper side and it started sounding a little better...i have the distrubutor all the way turned to the bumper side and it sounds like the car is knocking a little. the question is, is my timing retarded or advanced? I really have no clue, because the marks on the crank pulley are off the mark...sorry for the descriptions, really didnt know how to explain them...also, i have a fuel controller, so is there a way to get the knocking out by adjusting the fuel?

on the distributor housing, mark where the number 1 cylinder is. bring the engine to TDC. pull the distributor cap off and look to see where the rotor is facing. it shoud be pointing at the mark you made. if the rotor is facing the opposite direction then either the engine is not at TDC(give the crank pulley a 180-degree turn to line it up) or you installed the distributor wrong. if you installed the distributor wrong then just pull the distributor off the head, adjust it so it points to your mark, make sure the engine is TDC and reinstall it.

DONE.

Back