timing troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

(b16a) in a DA ok so i send my head to the mechine shop and i just got in back and noq i cant figure out how to get the timming right???? ive been redoing it over and over again can someone help? when i got my head back i put ctr cams and haymae 3 stage gears on and i lined the cames to (up) and the two lines and the side of the cams were lined up and then i reset in the TDC on compression strock put my time belt on and tensioned it belt was tight but it keep messing up my timming to where it barley runs?!?! any ideas?

The only thing I can think of to help is to make sure that any slack in the Tbelt is on the tensioner side of the cams.. if you have any slack between the cam/crank pulley it's going to throw the timing off when you tension the belt. Hope that helps?

Throwing any ECU codes? If you want to be 100% sure about your timing set the crank to 0 degrees (TDC) and check where the cam gears are sitting. If everything lines up that way you're okay as far at the T-belt is concerned.

i know my t belt is not the problem and yes after running it for a couple minutes it was still misfiring but running better kinda sounds like a subaru haha.. but no codes.. what could it be? im so stumped right now

Hmm.. well it's probably ignition related from what your description sounds like. I would hate to start throwing parts at it not knowing what is wrong, but do you have new plugs, cap, and rotor in int?

um what i have for plugs are 4 prong platium peieces of shit and ngk wiring and ls dizzy... weird thing is that when i re doing my exaust i took out my radiotor and sat it on my head and coolant got into my #1 cyl but i re did my head and cleaned the plugs and i checked for spark and its good

Maybe try putting a set of NGK oem plugs in there and see if that helps at all.. it's hard to pick up a misfire without a scope on OBD0, but at least you'll have the right plugs in there if it doesn't fix the problem (and they're cheap). If you have standing water in the spark plug hole it can short things out too, but I would expect it to cause a check engine light if you damaged anything in the distributor. If it damaged the spark plug itself you probably wouldn't get a check engine light or code...

Pull off the distributor cap and make sure everything is dry, and also make sure there is no moisture in either end of the spark plug wires or on the plugs too. Was it running ok with the LS distributor before this started happening? I haven't heard of anybody doing that before & not sure if it could be causing the problem or not..

yes it ran perfect with it on there... and im gettin spark from all my plugs? maybe not enough? and what i had to do is cut off a peice of the bracket to get it the fix but it ran a couple months with it on there.. but ill put ngk plugs in to see what it does

It seems that something was shorted out from the water that was in the spark plug hole.. but I really don't know if I can help you beyond there without being able to see the car in person. If the plugs don't fix anything start working backwards from there through the ignition system and check everything to make sure it's working right. I've seen those quad platinum or whatever they call them plugs cause a lot of problems with Honda engines in the past.

Back