Timing With Alum Flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Hey i wanted to check the timing on my h22 after my swap here and I was just wondering.... how you do the timing on these when you have an aluminum flywheel? I dont think there is a timing mark on these fidinza flywheels! Help would be great! Thanks

:wtf:
uh, the timing mark should be on your crank pully, how are you able to look for marks on the flywheel when its enclosed in the tranny case?

Originally posted by Accordturbo94@Jun 29 2003, 06:45 PM
But yes i planned to do it off the crankshaft pully! thanks

then why are you talking about your tranny? you never time a motor from the flywheel... i'm confused...

i was also reading your Q and fucking stunned a little, I have yet to hear about this flywheel "moron method" of adjusting timing. Markings are on the crank, do it from the crank.

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jun 30 2003, 12:14 AM
i was also reading your Q and fucking stunned a little, I have yet to hear about this flywheel "moron method" of adjusting timing. Markings are on the crank, do it from the crank.

Milan

I was the one that suggested to Accordturbo94 to adjust his timing off the flywheel. If u think it's a moron method then u should tell that to the folks who wrote the repair manual for Honda, I'm sure Mr. Honda himself wouldn't be too thrill. Obviously the majority of u who contested to this technique probably haven't seen the timing side of the H22A engine or read the repair manual from the actual Honda dealer. The actual drive (crank) pulley runs the 2 balancer shaft pulley and the timing pulley is inside or behind the bigger drive pulley. The front balancer shaft pulley also has to be aligned with the marking on the oil pump. The timing is set in reference to the 2 camshafts, #1 pistons on TDC compression stroke, distributor on the #1 wire and the crank setting relies on the white marking on the flywheel side to align with the pointer block where you can have a visual through the inspection hole. Now, since I've never replaced the H22's original flywheel with an aftermarket one before, I can't really tell u but suggested to Accordturbo94 to investigate further into getting his timing verified since he's having acceleration problems to say the least. To answer b16's question; for your information, the flywheel is actually enclosed on the engine side.
As for Accordturbo94, see if u can get your hands on a repair manual to prove might point. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Yes, you do indeed time H22's off the the flywheel. In fact, it's not possible to time them off of the crank pulley. Timing an H22 off of the flywheel is not the "moron method". If it is, then Helms, Inc. is a moronic company, since they tell me to time my engine off of the flywheel.

The timing marks should be on the flywheel, try moving the gun around a little bit, I find it works best when I have the gun to the right of the little hole. I'm running a Clutchmaster's flywheel, and it does have the marks. If Fidanza is a smart company (and I think they are), they'll know you have to time an H22 off of the flywheel, and will have included the marks on their product. Good luck. Don't forget to jumper your service connector when adjusting your timing. 15 +/- 2 degrees, according to the "moronic" Helms. :lol:

Thanks Guys I really appreciate your help! Im going to give it a try as soon as i have free time!

oh and one more thing for those who dont believe you do it off the flywheel... Buy or look at a Chilton Accord/prelude manual from 1984-95 and turn to page 2-15 it says for all models except the 94-95 Accord the timing marks are on the flywheel.. just my 2 cents!

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 30 2003, 01:25 PM
Yes, you do indeed time H22's off the the flywheel. In fact, it's not possible to time them off of the crank pulley. Timing an H22 off of the flywheel is not the "moron method". If it is, then Helms, Inc. is a moronic company, since they tell me to time my engine off of the flywheel.

The timing marks should be on the flywheel, try moving the gun around a little bit, I find it works best when I have the gun to the right of the little hole. I'm running a Clutchmaster's flywheel, and it does have the marks. If Fidanza is a smart company (and I think they are), they'll know you have to time an H22 off of the flywheel, and will have included the marks on their product. Good luck. Don't forget to jumper your service connector when adjusting your timing. 15 +/- 2 degrees, according to the "moronic" Helms. :lol:

:owned:

Oh yeah the timing was off! LOL also FYI the fidanze flywheels do have timing marks! So it worked out well! And as for that EGR valve i disconnected it like you said 1_deuceracing... wow that helped a lot! It doesnt even throw me a code so im guessing thats a plus! I figured out my last bug too... my NGK spark plug boots! I think i ordered them for the 92-96 H23 prelude because they dont push down and snap on the plugs and after i drive for a few minutes they lift up just a bit which makes them not get full spark and it runs like dog poo! But as soon as i get out and push them back down to where they should be it runs great again! so im going to either find the stock wires and try them or just get some cheap ones at Autozone and see if that solves anything! Thanks again everyone

Act it probable wasnt throwing a code because just out of no where i remembered i didnt plug the service connecter back in after I did the timing! I hope that didnt hurt it! Ill see if it wants tio give me a code some time this week when i drive it again!

Not trying to offend anyone, and it really doesn't matter at this point, but Subaru's are timed off the flywheel as well. Probably a bunch of others in the history of automobiles, too. Exotic Italians come to mind...and I don't mean the babes. Hope nobody gets PO'd cause I mentioned a car other than Honda on this site. If so, sorry, chill out, and open your mind.

Originally posted by chopluey@Jul 11 2003, 09:01 PM
Not trying to offend anyone, and it really doesn't matter at this point, but Subaru's are timed off the flywheel as well. Probably a bunch of others in the history of automobiles, too. Exotic Italians come to mind...and I don't mean the babes. Hope nobody gets PO'd cause I mentioned a car other than Honda on this site. If so, sorry, chill out, and open your mind.

:lol:
i dont think you'll affend anyone by mentioning other cars on this site

Back