timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
ok so im about to set the timing on my B18a1..i have always gone by the 3 marks,,set the middle line to the line on the belt cover,,but 2 of my aqcuaintences are telling me its the mark further away from the 3 lines on the crank pulley..
so which one is it,,ive seached and came up with mixed reviews

Crap I can't remember. I know one you use if your using a timing light and one you use if your just putting the timing belt on.

The white TDC mark that is seperate from the 3 timing marks is for mechanical timing i.e. your timing belt. the 3 marks that are close together is for ignition timing i.e with a timing light...

Blanco already said it anyway...

so go with the white mark furthest away from the other 3..i pulled nukmber 1 plug and put a screwdriver in the cylinder and hand turned the crank,,when the screwdriver is all the way up..the middle line of the 3 is on the cover mark(unless im not seeing correctly)

im putting the timing belt on,.,,so i need to know which mark im supposed to use to set it to tdc..
the red mark(which is the middle of the 3) or the white mark (which is the loner)

i dont want anything that has to do with ignition timing:D

Use the loner mark for doing the belt. You will have to check ignition timing after it is replaced. Like everyone has said the other three will come into play. Middle mark being perfect 16deg btdc and the others being for tolerance +/- 2deg. I usually run mine closer to the 2 deg advance mark, with some high octane equals more power. Well my zc had quite a bit more power slightly advanced with 91 octane.

crankpaint.jpg

i cannot get the timing right to save my life...i set the crank pulley to tdc,,using the white mark...try to set the cams to the right place and when i go to put the belt on it is always 1 tooth off...i ordered the belt for the specific motor,
i am putting the belt on the intake cam first(pulling it tight) and then putting it on the exhaust cam...am i doing something wrong?!?!

i was told to go from the back to the front or the timing will still be off,,because all the slack needs to be towards the front

i was told to go from the back to the front or the timing will still be off,,because all the slack needs to be towards the front
I forgot if it was a chiltons or haynes but the one i read said to go around the exhaust cam first and when I started doing it this way, things went much smoother.

Also, you don't want slack on the exhaust side because the motor turns that way. So once you turn the crank so the tensionor puts tension on the belt, the crank will turn with the slack first before it starts moving your cams along with it, thus putting you out of timing.

Last edited:
Back