tint?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raceinspiredrex

i'm scheduled to get my crx tinted this coming monday morning. i can't decide on what percent, as well as if i want metallic or dyed tint. both have a lifetime warranty but it's said that dyed doesn't last as long as metallic. i've read that metallic tint can screw with your radio as well as you navigation system, which i do have a garmin mounted on my windsheild. also, metallic kind of shimmers. dyed doesn't have any metal in it so it won't affect your radio or navigation, but it's said that the color doesn't last as long and it's thinner, making it less durable than metallic. then i've heard that metallic tint is a little brighter shade than dyed tint. so i'm not sure at all exactly what to go with here, or what percent i should go with. my girl has 5% and it's way too dark. my buddy has 15% and it's pretty nice, so i was thinking 15 or 20. the legal tint limit in washington state is 35% but the cops will never pull you over for tint. i'm not sure exactly what percent to get also because i'm not sure about how dark the difference is between metallic and dyed tint. meaning, is 15% metallic the same darkness as 20% dyed? or is the difference really unnoticeable? and a buddy said not to get metallic because the dyed looks more matte black and looks much better on our cars, considering mine's red. i can't find a lot of pictures of tinted crx's that tell exactly what tint they're running. please give your input, info, and any pictures that may have, including exactly what you're running. thanks a lot guys

Last edited:
you like 15%, but is it metallic or dyed? i'm not asking if you guys like tint or no tint, that's not one of my questions, i'm looking for facts so can we please stay on topic? thanks

just get the standard black at 15%.

i don't want it to be too dark, yet i don't want it to be too light. and i want the best quality i can get also. i would like to see proof of exactly what i should get. that's why i'm trying to get some pictures posted so i know what i'm looking at

just google it. pictures for tint are hard to judge. my friend has 15% on his yaris and it's fine. darker you'll get harassed by cops.

i have googled it, and am constantly googling it haha, looking for new information or pictures or whatever. just nothing i'm looking for, so i figured i'd ask here

I drive between Puyallup and Kent, I gotta put up with the biggest asshole cops anywhere. That being said, Ive got 5% on my back and 20% on my sides and dont get bothered by the law. Havin 20% on the sides makes it nice cuz at nite I can see everything around me, but in the day its good and dark. The 5% in the back is real nice in the day cuz you cant see through it at all, but in the nite you cant see through it lol. During the day with the side windows up, lookin from the side of the car you can barely see through it. Another nice thing is there is no difference in color at all. Just jet black.

newb. i live in auburn, which you should know is right between puyallup and kent. the cops around here are total douchers as you know, but nobody ever gets pulled over for tint, it's pretty much unheared of. anyways, is your 20% dyed or metallic? that would really help. thanks a lot

NJ kicks your ass on the tint laws. Unlimited on the back and none on the front. Looks crazy uneven. But I just found out there is a permit for unlimited if you have certain eye conditions.... Guess I should schedule an eye doctor appointment.

i'm thinking i'll probably go with 20%. my buddy has 15 so i'm gonna go check his out again. it's an suv so i'm not sure how that'll differ against a crx. anyways, does anybody know how much more "glimmery" the metallic is compared to dyed? thanks

I just got the lightest tint possible from 3M. My eg si has all windows the same tint. I like the look without tint but its too hat in Nor-Cal and my interior would be wrecked real quick

100_0729.jpg

This tint give you good visibility and is just a little worse for heat transfer. Dark enough at night so lookie loo's can't see in but suttle enough to keep coppers off you

what % is that? metallic or dyed? thanks a lot

anybody else have pictures? please, if you post pictures, let me know the details of the tint and whatnot. thanks

My tint is just straight black, not dyed or metallic. Ill try to get some pics up of it.

Im glad cops dont pull you over for tint, or other small stuff like that, but its not the case for me lol.

the metallic crap looks terrible in my opinion. pretty much the only cars i see it on around here are not in the nicer parts of town, if you know what i mean lol.

if you want it really dark then get 5% in the back, and 15 or 20 on the sides. if you want it as dark as you can get and still see well out of at night, then stick with 15 or 20 all around.

Non-metallic is the only way to go. Most quality tint shops won't even use metallic. It'll screw up your GPS, cell phone, radar detector... plus there are enough really good quality non-metallic tints on the market that it really isn't an issue anymore.

I had a car tinted with 5%, and it really is difficult to see out of at night. 5% is too much. The next two cars I had tinted 30% on the front windows (too light, really.. but its texas law, and if they are darker they will ticket you for it..) and 15% on the rear/back windows. (perfect in my opinion.. You can see out of it at night, but it offers great shade and good privacy.)

If there were no laws in place, I would do 15% all the way around.

Washington law, according to a quick google search, requires no less than 35% all the way around.. That sucks.

just to clarify you guys, metallic tint isn't the chrome or silver looking tint. metallic tint looks just like any other tint, but it has a metal layer that makes it look a little more glimmery. and there is no regular black tint, there are only several types of regular tint, dyed, metallic, or ceramic. so are you saying that dyed tints aren't an issue anymore? like turning purple after several years? thanks

My tint....damn...I can't remember the tint. But its regular 3M tint that they back for life.

I don't think its metallic....sorry that i can't be certain. But I know it as regular old tint.

3M has three tints (if you exclude the tint that seems to have no color at all)

Light-Medium-Dark.

I remember becasue they had an old back window of a mini truck with all the various tints on it (as display)

I got the lightest. Sorry my pic doesn't do it much justice. Sun was directly on the window from the angle of the picture. Just a pic I took after my last swap.

As I said....I like it because it still gives it that tint free look at times (not exactly but I'm also U.V. protected). And its dark enough at night.

Back