Tinting Windows - Suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boe

I'm about to have the windows on an Accord in So. CAL windows tinted to keep the heat out (the car will be in the Valley - visiting clients) Are there any things that I should look for at the shops that tint windows? Also if anyone knows of laws for California state and cities. I'm also concerned about being able to see at night if I get it too dark.

Thanks

try to get 3M tint with a lifetime warranty against fading, peeling, scratching, or bubbling. i had 20% all around and think it's the best looking tint percent out there. not too light, but you can still see safely out your windows at night.

Should be, when you get into 10%, 8%, 6% etc is when it starts to get illegal.

i know up here in MN 50% is the darkest legal tint. You could maybe get away with 35%. out west i don't think you'd have much of a problem. I'm trying to tint my windows too and i'd do 20% but i ain't tryin to get a ticket yO :blink:

i could but if i get pulled over theyll make me take it out on the spot :angry:

I have 35% on my back windows and i think 50% on the front 2 and it looks nice but not near as nice as my wifes celica with 35% all around... we did the civic in cali and the celica in utah, key to keep from gettin pulled over is to roll the windows down when u see a cop but thats my own opinion

are you sure in cali you can't get an OEM certification from the DOT. I.e. if a new model of civic comes with tinted windows, you can replicate the OEM product and get a DOT waiver - Since all OEM is equipment is considered legal.

If you know somebody who works at a car dealership, get them to send it to the shop. I did. I got it done in 5% all around. The dealership gave me a little certificate saying the car came with that tint. I haven't been pulled over for it yet.
I'm not sure if the paper will hold up.
I'm in GA too. Cops really don't care about window tint unless you're being an ass.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 12 2003, 10:13 AM
are you sure in cali you can't get an OEM certification from the DOT. I.e. if a new model of civic comes with tinted windows, you can replicate the OEM product and get a DOT waiver - Since all OEM is equipment is considered legal.

well it looks like they changed the law in 1999. nothing about OEM tint, but it looks like now you can have 30% tint on your front windows (70% light transmission) in Cali. :worthy: :woo:

here's what i found:
http://autowindowtintings.com/main.cfm?act...tion=California

i have 5% on the back five windows, and i think 20% on the driver and passenger widows, and i have never been pulled over yet, it has been about 1 year now.

well, most cars that come with tint from the factory are either 20 or 35, i know that here in missouri adn kansas we dont have laws, we used to and they were 5 on the back adn 35 on the front two and a 7" brow. I have 5 all the way a round, i have no visibility problems, i have two friends that have 1 percent all the way around(now that is hard to see out off) but worring about legality go with 35 all the way around.

i got 5 all the way around in my integ. been pulled over twice for "speeding" though the cops didnt have radar. never said a word about it.. it was a state trooper too. i dont have front licence plate either and you have to have one here in missouri.. had it off for 1 and a half years.. never once been pulled over for it.. cops here are funny.

Back